Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Laptops?

• 29-10-2001 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good laptop manufacturer?
    Please don't say Dell, i tried to buy a pc off them numerous times during the summer and was disgusted by their sales service so i won't be going near them again!
    I was thinking hi-grade, but can anyone recommend any other manufacturers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Dell make great machines, so don't worry about their sales service: you won't be talking to them for a couple of years, but you will be using the machine for that long. And you can order off the web anyway, so you don't even need to talk to them.

What kind of machine are you looking for? The main types available are: 1) budget, 2) ultra-portable, or 3) desktop-replacement.

I have a year old desktop-replacement type, it's an Inspiron 7500 (650Mhz, 128Mbs, 19GBs). The advantage of this one is that it's got a 15.1" viewable screen (which is bigger than some 17" monitors), another good point is that was extremely powerful compared to desktop PCs of the same era, and will run Quake3-generation games very well. Disadvantage: weighs a tonne, costs a packet.

In the ultra-portable area, Sony Vaios are the sexiest I suppose, but some of the Dell Latitudes are very slimline & attractive.

So let us know what you're looking for.

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ye get a hi grade one . im very happy wif mine they said 2 weeks for it came befour that . also i noticed 3 miniscule dots on the screen and told them about it . they had someone com over and collect it and replace the screen . ive no probs at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 nucular

Can you point me to a website for hi-grade ?? (or anyone else who does a reasonable laptop line)

Thinking of getting a lappy myself and doing a bit of shopping around..

I know Dell make fairly high quality laptops but I might aswell shop around

thanks in advance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's www.higrade.com. The 'Atlas' Range look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I can reccomend IBM's thinkpads.

http://www.pc.ibm.com/uk/thinkpad.html

They start at under a grand for the I series.

X

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

Dell's sales and delivery people seem to be at war with each other. However, once you actually get your hands on a machine, they're good, and their after-sales service is excellent, generally.

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but a few years back Toshiba was the biggest manufacturer of laptops in the world, and so was able to do a great machine for the price compared to others.

Personally I use a Wintel desktop but a PowerBook Mac laptop - but on the other hand, the PowerBook came with a dud battery, and I have just discovered that if I want to get it replaced under guarantee I'd have to ship the whole thing (puter an all) back to the US, since it was a US-only guarantee.

I'm hoping to coax Apple Ireland into doing the decent thing - pray for me.

Other than that, the PowerBook is a grand little machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

You could give Rock Direct (www.rockdirect.co.uk) a go. I know someone that bought from them, they reckoned it is a fantastic machine. Sure the exchange rate will cripple you a bit, but the spec is good so you could learn to overlook the extra few quid.

only others I can think of are the fujitsu siemens Amilo (think its a 6500M)

or Dell as said above. Nice machines too them dells

Advertisement