Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

• 04-05-2000 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

I have a Compaq presaio at home, specs:

233 amd-k6 cpu
    48 meg ram
    4 gb hard drive
    upgradable 33.6k KFlex internal modem
    Voodoo3 PCI
    14" SVGA monitor

I'm pushing to get a new comp but it's unlikely that i'll manage to get one. If not, can ya suggest any particular upgrades, along with an approximate cost bearing in mind that it will be used primarily as a gaming platform.

Cheers

Qbes

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Get more RAM for a start. 128 megs +

Draco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ram, monitor and hard drive
    try an get another 64 mg of ram
    try an get a 10 gig harddrive
    try and get a 17" onitor
    these are all expensive, but you can take em with you when you upgrade your motherboard and processor.
    as for price, depends where you shop. pc peripherals in stillorgan are excellent (plug plug) or try www.scan.co.uk (i think)
    others will give sites as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Where abouts in stillorgan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Er, I think it's somewhere in South-Side Dublin. Get yer' map, 'cuz it's a hard place to find, all tucked away near some housing estate, (Dale road I think).
    Visit the PC-Peripherals website NOW!

Hehehe... plug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

i doubt a k6-2 is compatible with that motherboard.. but the whole k6 range is extremely cheap.. have a look around anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Quake3 and the vast majority of new games wont run well at all until u swap out your motherboard and cpu for a p3 or an athlon, maybe a celeron if u are pushed for cash. Even a k6-2 500 plays quake3 absolutely terribly. Upgrade the other stuff like hard drive and ram and monitor but remember they wont make games run faster. (ram will make them load faster and do less swapping to disk). Your best bet is to get a p3 and overclock it. For £400, I can get you a p3 550e overclocked to 733 and a motherboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

NO ....well it may reduce the working life from 15 years to 10 years.... but if u are worried about that........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Thats great but doesnt overclocking damage a cpu somehow

Qbes
    yes yes me dumb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

methinks a new modem wouldnt go astray. Also RAM, and a monitor. The HD is ok. and you cant realy do anything about the processor.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Thanks guys, your tenners in the post wink.gif

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Definatly a new modem and ram.

Processor wouldnt go astray too. At that rate youd nearly be better off getting a new system because Compaq have a tendency to do strange things to their motherboards that make it very difficult to upgrade or modify them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

compaqs new alpha linux box:

http://www.aceshardware.com/Spades/read.php?article_id=145

take it athlon 850 wink.gif
    (well sort of)

Advertisement