Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion: Online Petition...

Options
  • 29-10-2001 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I know I'm new around here, but I thought I'd throw this idea into the hat anyway, and if it's been discussed and dissmissed before, then just delete the thread. If not - it might be another useful tool for the list.

Basically I got something in my inbox during the week, and to cut a long story short it was an online petition which someone started about the proposed expansion at sellafield in the UK. Ok - skipping to the point... In a matter of days, thousands of people had signed up to a standard petition which the creator had crafted.

This service is free, easy to setup and I'm thinking that in the days ahead where we are looking for attention and ways of calling down the thunder on certain issues... an online petition might be a simple but effective way of collating and quantifying the sheer numbers of people in Ireland who are just pissed as hell at the current situation.

Now - the medium is simple enough, but more than that, it should be possible to not just register the discontent among the masses, but to even craft a letter suggesting our 'preferred' solution for going forward, and just getting thousands of sigs added to it.

The site is www.petitiononline.com and I offer this as a suggestion in good faith for the campaign for LLU and competitive pricing, not to mention the provision of a decent broadband solution.

Regards

c0y0te

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Sorry,

I should have clarified / added one thing.... The way this petition system works is simple. Create the petition, send emails to people (templated, including links to specific issues) and then they in turn send to other 'interested parties'.

In this way the word can spread through the net to those concerned, without spamming (since only intentional emails will be distributed).

c0y0te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Why not do a proper real life one ? Its been researched that the average person knows from 25-100 people fairly well. If each member of IrelandOffline (1000+) got a 25 line sheet to get people to sign it would make a huge impact.

Would be a nice bit of pr too. I'd happily get people to sign it. Might fill more than one sheet.

Damien.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Hi c0y0te, thanks for the post. Just a quick note to point out that there's already at least one petition like this on that site here. It's got 551 signatures. I think it's a good petition, but it doesn't really delve into the problems.

One of the things I hope to include in the blackout site is a survey, asking people questions like:
    How much do you pay for Internet access?
    How do you access the Internet?
    What do you think "broadband" means"?
    etc.

Maybe a petition is a good idea too. I'll put it to the committee.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Dahamsta,

At the very least an online petition (or two) will allow you to word / craft the specifics you mention above. It could be as simple as a letter to your local TD type thing, which mentions all the issues in the text and allows people to sign up at the bottom.

Anyway - best of luck with it.

c0y0te

Advertisement