Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you copyright an audio cd

• 29-10-2001 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

does any 1 know how you copyright an audio cd or even an data cd?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Anyone can say something is copyrighted to them if they've created it.

I think.

This post is copyrighted ME, 2001.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure, but as far as i know all you have to do is publish it (this means giving a certain amount of copies to copyright libraries, e.g. TCD). See an extract from the Copyright Act below. This act has been amended since, generally expanding the rights of the creator.

You could of course also register trade / service marks witht the Companies Registration Office www.cro.ie

I'm not sure what the story is with technical works - eg a manual or a spreadsheet.
    COPYRIGHT ACT, 1963 SECTION 7 Nature of copyright.

7.— .....

(5) For the purposes of any provision of this Act which specifies the conditions under which copyright may subsist in any description of work or other subject-matter "qualified person"—
    ( a ) in the case of an individual, means a person who is an Irish citizen or is domiciled or resident within the State, and
    ( b ) in the case of a body corporate, means a body incorporated under the laws of the State.

COPYRIGHT ACT, 1963 SECTION 8 Copyright in literary, dramatic and musical work.

8.—(1) Copyright shall, subject to the provisions of this Act, subsist in every original literary, dramatic or musical work which is unpublished and of which the author was a qualified person—
    ( a ) at the time at which the work was made, or
    ( b ) where the making of the work extended over a period, for a substantial part of that period.
    (2) Copyright shall, subject to the provisions of this Act, subsist in every original literary, dramatic or musical work which is published if—
    ( a ) the work was first published within the State, or
    ( b ) the author of the work was a qualified person at the time when the work was first published, or
    ( c ) the author had died before that time but was a qualified person immediately before his death.

Irish Statute Books 1922-1998

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ugh, not something I really thought about as a home user. I would say contact some manufacturers, dunno who, or maybe just serch the web on some info on how it's done, etc. As you probably know, audio CD protection is done by many makers by adding static on the CD that can't be read by the standard cd player, but gets copied by a CD burner, and ruins the CD. Maybe someone has already written a proggy to put this on your own CDs when you burn them, but it would probably be expensive.

The only data protection I have seen, but I haven't checked out this area, was on a PCPlus magazine cover disc, whereby when the CD was copied(to HD or CD), one of the (critical) directories became unreadable by any other apps on the cd, but still readable by windows, so when you go to install apps from the cd, they would never install, and just give a message saying 'cannot find suchandsuch directory, if you have moved it....blah blah'. Very irritating :(

{edit: only noticed now that the thread's about copyright not copy-protection, soz. anyway some info der, not!}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

http://www.cai.ie/links.html

might be of some use to you :)

but I doubt you want to know the legal side of things and more the technical...

if your using nero then click compilation info.. then volume descriptors.. then you can just fill in the cd information headers.

Theres not really anyway (that I know of anyway) for the home user to stop ppl copying your cds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Have a look at the CD Protections page on CD Media World, it explains lots of different ways to protect CDs against copying. Most are commercial, but it also has a bunch of utilities you can download for protecting CDs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Copyright is implied by creation. The creator is the copyright holder by default. You don't have to publish your work for it to be copyrighted. If your copyright is contested though, you'll need to prove that you were the creator.

Incidently, you don't have to display copyright notice on the piece, but it may help if you're taking action against someone who has violated the copyright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

WOOOPS i didnt mean it like that.i mean how could i make a audio cd and not have copyed by a standalone cd recorder or make it harder for the other person to copy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

As far as I know when a CD is in the mastering process it can be digitally encypted to prevent ripping/copying. I sussed this out when my band was getting our EP master in Mid Atlantic Digital in Enniskillen, I asked the guy there abuot it and he says they can do it. I don't know how it's done, just that it can be....!! Not much help I know but....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I heard something like - Michael Jackson's new CD is the first of its kind where it cannot be ripped and it cannot be read even by CD Rom drives.

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

With Nero you can set the copyright flag when you create an Audio CD. This should prevent any devices that comply with SCMS (Serial Copy Management System) from making a copy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Gordon
    I heard something like - Michael Jackson's new CD is the first of its kind where it cannot be ripped and it cannot be read even by CD Rom drives.

?

If that's the case, then the music industry has lost the run of itself.....If they are all pushing for mp3-type players, but stop us from reading the music in our computers, we are gonna have to revolt. The whole copyright situation has got out of hand. It won't be long before parents start copyrighting their kids, and selling the rights to some major music producer when they discover the kid can sing. It all Microsoft's fault :mad:

Advertisement