Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rambus questions

• 30-10-2001 5:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I know rambus memory has to be installed in matched pairs, so here's my question:

My machine has a pair of 128mb PC600 ECC rimms installed, and 2 free slots. If I was to install an additional pair of 256mb PC800, non-ECC rimms, would the whole lot function as PC600 non-ECC, or would things go a bit ... wonkey ?

Any help appreciated.

(btw this is not a pentium 4 system)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Well I imagine they'd all run at 600 non-ecc, if the boards capable of taking non-ecc Rimms at all (It's a server-board isn't it?).
    As for having to use pairs I think that is only necessary on i-840+ boards, the previous chipsets didn't use interleaving and could deal with single RIMMS.
    Sorry for nothing conclusive, I haven't looked into RIMMs that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

It will all run at 600. It should all work fine though, the pc800 rimms will have no problem working at 600. Your board is an i840 so they do have to be in matched pairs. I'd try the machine with just the pc800 in it also, to see if its any faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Many thanks lads :)

Now, where to buy .... ;)

Advertisement