Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advise needed hd partitioning

• 30-10-2001 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

OK i'm getin a 40gb hd, how should i format it, one os, 98se.

I was thinkin 5-10gb primary partition and 30-35 secondry partition.

p.s. will i have to set up swap files? if so advise need there too!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'd recommend a 5 gig primary partition, install windows and some apps on it, and use the rest for big programs and data. Windows will setup its own swap file, you can mess around with the settings in system properties -> virtual memory. For example, you can set a fixed size swap file, so windows does not waste time resizing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Is it worth my while seting up my own swap files? benifits, if any?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Unless you use some major apps that like to have their own swap disks, like Photoshop, I wouldn't bother. In any case, Photoshop prefers to have a seperate physical drive to use as scratch disk...

How you partition the disk depends on what you do with the machine... what apps will be installed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

When my computer I had a 40Gb drive and set a 10 gig partition and a 30Gb one, the reason for the 10Gb one was for windows and as I used a lot or programmes I just didnt want to run out of space, but a 5gb one should do.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I'm be doing some java programing, some assignments for college but mostly just playin games :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement