Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new hard drive question

• 30-10-2001 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

when u buy a new harddrive is it just a matter of pluging it in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Almost. Depends on what OS you have. All of the HD's I've ever gotten have been formatted for whatever OS I was using at the time, but that's probably just luck on my part. Simply make sure the jumpers are right, plug it in, format it for your OS, and hey presto, a new HD :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

1. open case
    2. locate free 3.5 inch bay (or 5.25 inch with drive rails)
    3. screw in the 4 screws
    4. plug in power from power supply
    5. plug in data cable (make sure that the new hard disc jumpers are set to either master or slave (if it's a new drive to replace the cold "c:" then set to master if not make it slave and plug it into the same data cable as the cd/dvd)
    6. if the drive is unformatted then goto the maufacturers website and get some formatting/checking/partitioning tools (yes you can use other tools but the manufacturers are best)
    7. that's it.

NOTE: make sure the data cable is the right way round (pin one to socket one)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yah,

it's fairly straight forward but if you haven't done it before its an idea to take note of which cables go where before you unhook the old one. Another tip is to keep your wrist/forearm on the casing while fiddling with the mother board as static can screw it up a bit. I've never had it happen personally but apparently it does happen.

When you go to load your new OS it should be preformatted but if it's second hand it probably won't be and then you'll need a boot disk with "fdisk" on it to format it, but that's straightforward too.

I upgraded mine from a 4GB to a 40GB during the summer, lets say it was a learning experience! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Thats some useful advice so far, also

1, Ensure you have a long enough data cable, and that it has 2 connectors. (i assume your not taking out the old hdd.)

2. Ensure you have a spare power connector inside your case (most do)

3. Be sure you have a spare drive bay. (you'd be suprised!)

4. If adding it to the machine as a second hdd, you will probably need to jumper it as slave. ther is usually a diagram on the hdd itself as to what the 3 jumper settings are.

Don't be put off, it is easy enough, and very educational.
    If you are really unsure, check out the magazine web sites, there usually an article, with step by step guide.

X

Advertisement