Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactly has Ireland Offline accompolished.

Options
  • 30-10-2001 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

As per topic:

What exactly has Ireland Offline accompolished since it's conception.

Can anyone tell me?

.logic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

www.irelandoffline.com
    This (award-winning) web site contains a great deal of information about our campaign - including the story so far and plans for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

lol, sometimes the answers are right under your nose logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Yeah thing is the site doesn't provide alot of info at all.

Maybe I can't find it but I'd be more than happy for a direct link to the "Stuff accomplished" page.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭muchos_bongo

I too would be interested in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

NeilF's guide on how to find out what IrelandOffline have accomplished

1. Go to www.irelandoffline.com

2. Click on "News & Info"

3. Decide whether you want to read articles about our meetings, media articles or other articles.

Guide ends.

• Advertisement

In reply no I don't want to read about your meetings and events, or be directed towards third party media articles.

I want it laid out for me like i'm 12 years old..

What have Ireland Offline accompolished. Solid goals not meetings with <insert name here>.

What of the goals have been accompolished?

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

if you read about you will see that 'the leaders' are all busy with real life..

now maybe that means that they are too busy to be leaders, maybe it does not, but there are no 'other' leaders jumping up and down and making themselves visable - to me at any rate

if you wanna do something, and make a difference, then propose something and dont just sit there and throw stones like a 5 year old

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    if you read about you will see that 'the leaders' are all busy with real life..

now maybe that means that they are too busy to be leaders, maybe it does not, but there are no 'other' leaders jumping up and down and making themselves visable - to me at any rate

if you wanna do something, and make a difference, then propose something and dont just sit there and throw stones like a 5 year old

Hey Vagga why not step down off your high horse and we'll pretend your not a total retard. I simply asked what Ireland Offline has accompolished.

I haven't implied that they haven't accompolished anything I'm simply making a point that from an outsiders perspective the goals they have achieved aren't visible at all. I haven't had time to follow the whole debate and there's no place I can find thatshows exactly what's been achieved to date.

So when your finished picking up posts the wrong way and thinking with the rock you call a brain maybe you can put aside five minutes out of your busy day to tell us all what has been accomplished.

If not sit down and shut up.

.logic.

Being offensive is not a good way to get positive attention, let alone credibility..

But to be simple, 'Rome was not built in a day' - decades of mismanagement and billion dollar take over deals are not going to be undone or rocked by a small group in a short few months, let alone a small group with no full time staff…

Things take time

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    Being offensive is not a good way to get positive attention

dont just sit there and throw stones like a 5 year old

I believe your statement provoked my response.
    let alone credibility..

I don't need credibility.

But to be simple, 'Rome was not built in a day' - decades of mismanagement and billion dollar take over deals are not going to be undone or rocked by a small group in a short few months, let alone a small group with no full time staff…

Things take time

Either A.) You don't have a clue as to what Ireland Offline has achieved.

or B.) It hasn't achieved anything.

Which is it?

.logic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭dobdobdo

These are the objectives of IerlandOFFLine.co
    Objectives

Universal flat rate (unmetered) access to the internet for all users.
    Not Yet

Complete Local Loop Unbundling (LLU) by Eircom.
    Not Yet

Universal access to broadband services for all users. Not Yet

Their strategy for achieving these objectives is:

Making the general public aware of the reality that the level of internet access development in Ireland is already far behind other countries and is continuing to lose ground.
    As far as I'm aware all this has and is taking place

Lobbying the government to provide the appropriate legislative and economic environment to encourage development to move forward much more rapidly.

Pressurising the ODTR to accelerate implementation of the regulations and timetables already set out by them.
    encouraging the ISP's to implement packages that will make internet access more available to more people.

As a accomplishing anything?
    I would consider getting ppl to raise the FIASCO that we are in regarding Broadband access as a start?

Can the moderators please stop with the name calling and flaming/trolling?

Excellant that's all that was needed.

Tx for the reply.
    Can the moderators please stop with the name calling and flaming/trolling?

No.

.logic.

No:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

despite what some may think there are two mods here Bard and dahamsta. To them its doesnt matter what it says under you name

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Yeah! I don't come into your forums and fla... uh... never mind...

:)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

Nice 'Self Control' there Adam :)
    WTG mate :)

MS

PS If iw was me? ..... hmmmmmmmmm hehehehe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭smokin' an'chewin' man

Originally posted by logic1
    In reply no I don't want to read about your meetings and events, or be directed towards third party media articles.

I want it laid out for me like i'm 12 years old..

What have Ireland Offline accompolished. Solid goals not meetings with <insert name here>.

What of the goals have been accompolished?

.logic.

Sadly now you know. Not a lot is the answer. What you've also discovered is i) that the people in control of the discussions don't like people who ask awkward questions - they like to control what people post here and ii) the people who took control of the thing have run out of ideas and the drive to carry anything through, and are too busy with their lives to get anything done. That is except for their wonderful 'blackout' idea that should really set the media alight when it happens...... yeah right ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Saint

Originally posted by smokin' an'chewin' man

Sadly now you know. Not a lot is the answer. What you've also discovered is i) that the people in control of the discussions don't like people who ask awkward questions - they like to control what people post here and ii) the people who took control of the thing have run out of ideas and the drive to carry anything through, and are too busy with their lives to get anything done. That is except for their wonderful 'blackout' idea that should really set the media alight when it happens...... yeah right ...

All you people bitched and moaned when it was me posting the stuff you didnt want to hear. reported me to devore more then once. Moderators deleting every other post.
    it was then, not now that you should have spoken up.
    At least i could get abite of life and disscussion into this place.
    you have what you wanted now. i wonder if you like it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Impressed Adam, logic1, suprised at you, Adam showed incredible restraint I don't come into your forums and fla...

Its a fair point imho.

Kudo's to Adam, respect.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ekehoe

Wow...I'm sorry that we're busy with our lives right now, but that is what pays the bills. None of us have ever gotten a dime for what we're doing as IrelandOffline, but I know we've each spent quite a bit.

We are all still working on IrelandOffline things. Just because they aren't all posted on here doesn't mean things aren't happening in the background. We have had meetings, I've gotten calls from the media asking for our reaction to things that have come up, and they wouldn't be doing that if we hadn't made an impact.

I'm sorry that you feel that we're just sitting back and not doing much. We have opened a dialogue with the ODTR, Eircom and Esat to the point that I can send an email to someone at each company, and get a speedy reply. I don't know many other folks who can say that right now.

As for the Blackout, what's the beef? We're doing something that was suggested by the members, not the committee, and was eagerly taken up by most people, from what I've seen. We're a big group of people now, and all the input is valuable. At least we're doing something, contrary to your beliefs.

Right now the ODTR and Eircom are in a little pissing match, and not much can happen until after the High Court decides. We can try talking to the EU, but I (being due to give birth in 6 weeks) can't fly to Brussels, and everyone else here has a job.

I can take criticism (barely :-) ), and I listen to what everyone says. But make sure you have all the facts before jumping on us. We're ramping up again after a silence, and I know that we'll get some great media coverage from the Blackout.

Are you going to participate in the Blackout, or just stay on here with your comments? The more who stay off that day, the better for all....

E

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by ekehoe

Right now the ODTR and Eircom are in a little pissing match, and not much can happen until after the High Court decides. We can try talking to the EU, but I (being due to give birth in 6 weeks) can't fly to Brussels, and everyone else here has a job.
    E

Hi Elana,
    nice to see you back on the boards:)

We were discussing this EU option on this thread a few days back....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34347

Since the other day I researched it a little further, but unfortunately what is said there stands:( Because the ODTR's powers are so week re: enforcement, there is very little scope of bringing €ircom to Europe in relation to breaches re: LLU or Pricing. The only realistic line of litigation is a more contrived, somewhat theoretical writ against the Irish State for non-enforcement of EU driectives [ possibly just the little fiendish inventive lawyer in me speaking but heck its gettting desparate:) ]
    Also, the pursuit of relief from the European Judiciary is (putting it mildly) expensive. Maybe we need to recruit some good counsel who's willing to work Pro Bono :p

As you said, everything is up in the air until December and the proceedings in the High Court. For now its just a waiting game:(

BTW, Gluck w/ the imminent family addition:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Yes, lets all join Smokin An Chewin Mans organisation. They have acheieved,,,er nothing, but they AIM TO GET THINGS DONE!

Please, if your only here to say "Weh, i dont have flat rate and ioffl promised to get it for me" You really may as well leave now and just hassle your parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Originally posted by 80project

The only realistic line of litigation is a more contrived, somewhat theoretical writ against the Irish State for non-enforcement of EU

Isn't it normally the European Commission that brings actions like these. I believe I read somewhere that Matti whatsisname was talking about doing that anyway, will just have to write him more letters to make sure he makes the correct decision :)

Originally posted by Longfield
    Impressed Adam, logic1, suprised at you,

Kudo's to Adam, respect.

Surprised at me? Who are you and why are you surprised at me?

Because I came into a forum and asked a straight forward question?

Adam showed incredible restraint
    I don't come into your forums and fla..

Its a fair point imho.

It's a fair point? He doesn't come into our forums and "ask questions" oh no.....

:rolleyes:

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by hmmm

Isn't it normally the European Commission that brings actions like these.

Yep Your right. If you had read the link posted you would have read the exact details as such....
    One possible legal angle (although a bit contrived) could be pursued....

Presuming that the EU are unhappy about the progress in a variety of EU legislation implementation, they could issue an A.226 Enforcement Action. This as one can imagine, would create a further legal obligation on the state to expedite logjams in areas of LLU and competition law.

Then, presuming there is still no action by the Govt. to implement these specifications (including forcing €ircom to comply through adequate national legislation), we (the citizens) could apply to as non-privelged applicants[A.230(4)] to force the Commission to force Ireland to comply. Now there are various hurdles to overcome to be classified as a non-privelged applicants-ie.....
    -the issue is directed to the applicant
    -is of direct interest and indivdual concern
    or **NB**a decision addressed to another person which is of direct and indivdual concern to the applicant.

The question thus is... Is non-compliance by €ircom of direct and indivdual concen to us, the citizens??
    As seen it would be lobbying the EU to enforce A.226 upon Ireland, not suin Ireland directkly:)

Longfield, I don't think logic was being overtly malicious. It came across like that, but I'm not sure he meant any harm by it. Logic?

In answer to you question logic, IrelandOffline hasn't accomplished its true goal of "affordable internet access for all", but that's not going to happen overnight. Maybe we should have set our sights lower, but hell, that's the ultimate target. I think that the meetings, the seminar, and the result of that - education - is an accomplishment though. It's a start. It's better than nothing.

Like I said in another thread, the politician I talked to genuinely didn't realise there was a problem, at least the problem we're talking about here. He thought the problem was ostensibly with bringing fibre to the regions, and that seems to be a widely-held belief in government. Now he knows. I think that's progress.

On the subject of the blackout, I can understand people's concerns, but I honestly think it's the wrong way to view it. Even if the end result of the blackout is just educating a half dozen people about the problem, I will view it as a success. There's a lot of unintentional ignorance out there. People aren't aware of what's available, or more accurately, what should be available. People aren't aware that their phone bills aren't just expensive, they're completely at odds with what they should be.

We are working. Things are happening. They're just happening slowly. I'll say it again - it's not going to happen overnight. We're not miracle workers. The problems we're faced with now have been there for years. It's going to take time. Please, be patient with us. Let us do our work. Be positive.

adam

Bugger, forgot...

With regard to the EU, you probably already know this, but the EU is already talking about fining Ireland for non-compliance with its directive on unbundling. A report will apparently be filed in mid-November.

If want to file a personal complaint with the EU, the person responsible for this matter is Peter Rodford - this is who Erkii Liikanen referred me to. I'm emailing him a follow-up this afternoon. You'll find his contact details on the Europa website (I'm not posting them here).

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Longfield, I don't think logic was being overtly malicious. It came across like that, but I'm not sure he meant any harm by it. Logic?

Indeed. Maybe my wording could have been put a little different but it was simply a genuine request for a heads up on the current and past state of Ireland offline.
    In answer to you question logic, IrelandOffline hasn't accomplished its true goal of "affordable internet access for all", but that's not going to happen overnight. Maybe we should have set our sights lower, but hell, that's the ultimate target. I think that the meetings, the seminar, and the result of that - education - is an accomplishment though. It's a start. It's better than nothing.

Like I said in another thread, the politician I talked to genuinely didn't realise there was a problem, at least the problem we're talking about here. He thought the problem was ostensibly with bringing fibre to the regions, and that seems to be a widely-held belief in government. Now he knows. I think that's progress.

On the subject of the blackout, I can understand people's concerns, but I honestly think it's the wrong way to view it. Even if the end result of the blackout is just educating a half dozen people about the problem, I will view it as a success. There's a lot of unintentional ignorance out there. People aren't aware of what's available, or more accurately, what should be available. People aren't aware that their phone bills aren't just expensive, they're completely at odds with what they should be.

We are working. Things are happening. They're just happening slowly. I'll say it again - it's not going to happen overnight. We're not miracle workers. The problems we're faced with now have been there for years. It's going to take time. Please, be patient with us. Let us do our work. Be positive.

adam

Thanks for that.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JaneDoe

Just who are the EU going to fine and about what?

Someone has to ask for the loop to be unbundled before eircom have to do it.

And with the current telecoms market sentiment who's done that?
    Or who will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Jane, its been discussed about a millions times already.
    Now I could start talking about its not good business policy to commit to something that you have no idea how much it will cost, buy im not.

Ill only say, that both Esat and Colt telecom have requested full LLU, in fact esat have commented that they expect it by March next year in order to roll out there SDSL service outside Dublin,

Advertisement