Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geforce 3 FPS issue

• 30-10-2001 7:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭

Installed a Geforce 3 on a Intel 1GHz Pentium 3, 512 MB pc 133 ram. This relaced my Geforce 2 GTS 32MB card. Windows XP with Detonator's latest drivers.

In Halflife, I get 60 FPS at 1024x768 with everything turned up to the hilt, 2x anti aliasing, 32bit, trilinear...

But I get 60 fps if I put everything down as well...16bit, no antialiasing, 800x600.

Anyone have any experience with this? is this a CPU issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Villiros

You have VSYNC turned on. And because of this the card limits its fps to your monitor refresh rate. If you turn it on you'll get real fps count (you should be able to turn it off in h-l console).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

thought u turned off VSYNC in windows display settings :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

mmm sounds about right.
    But if I were you - I'd try to use a higher monitor refresh rate... 60Hz is gick.
    Win2k had an nvidia refresh rate fix, not at all sure about WinXP.
    If the problem is your monitor, then turn off vsync or drop your screen resolution which would probably operate at a higher refresh rate.
    Also check your fps_max and fps_modem settings in halflife, make sure it's not capped at 60fps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Did ya try setting 'fps_max 100' ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

LOL! FPS issue with a GF3! :D

Vsync deffinatly sounds like it, but why run it at 1024x768@60Hz??

You have a 17" monitor, don't you?
    It should be capable of 85Hz @ 1024x768 at least.
    Also, what version of the DetonatorXP drivers are you using?

I tried the DetXP 21.81 with my Creative GeForce256SDR under both Win98SE and Win2kPro. Hung my machine within 5-6 mins of booting, even while left idle.

there are 21.83 out now. Try em, see how you get on.

BTW I get 99.9fps in CS at 1024x768@16bpp 85Hz no FSAA, high MIp Map, P3 800Cu, 640 PC100 CAS2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Hm, I'm also having a bit of fps trouble with my Gf3 in half life. Ive a 1gig athalon, 384 megs of ram and a creative gf3 with the 21.83 drivers yet my fps can still drop to 50-60 when there are a fair few people on screen, even with vsync off. Is there any tweaking I should be doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

more info:
    latest nvidia drivers 12.83
    19inch runing at 100mhz
    fps_max is 100
    timerefresh = 147 or 200+ depending

i put settings up again to test, and i got same result of 60 fps when i ran game at 1280x1024 as I did with 800x600.

the picture was beautiful, dont get me wrong...im just wondering does anyone know what is happening.

I havent tried the vsync yet, is there anyway/command to disable that ingame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

when Windows XP/2k change res they ALWAYS drop to 60hz on nvidia cards, there's a fix for it out there (try www.geforcefaq.com i think it's there somewhere)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Originally posted by Villiros
    You have VSYNC turned on. And because of this the card limits its fps to your monitor refresh rate. If you turn it on you'll get real fps count (you should be able to turn it off in h-l console).

Thank you, your a gentleman and a scholar. Leaving everything else up as a high as possible and turning that to off by default gives me 100+ fps. Now does anyone know the command to toggle this on and off in half-life console?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm using 12.41s, class. Stablest Dets I've ever had. I wn't move from these for a good long while yet.

I'm still highly suspect of those XPs. I don't know if the 12.41s have every new spangly feature of the GeForce3 included, but they give great frame rates, 16-bit or 32-bit.

I'm just smiling quietly cos my 2-year old, unoverclock, base-spec card is beating the p4nts off your new expensive silicon :D

Elation is not sufficient to express this sense of euphoria.

• Advertisement
Advertisement