Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New hardrive missing 10Gigs

• 30-10-2001 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

i baught a new hdd [60gxp ibm deskstar 41.GB] it arrived 2 day i formatted it but it is only showing up as 23.8gigs in "my computer" any1 any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Villiros

So, you've created a partition and then formated it? Or was this partition already on the disk when it arrived? If it was, then you should try to run something like fdisk and look at what it says you. Probably there is some free space on the disk which you can mark as a new partition.
    Alternatively, it might be a bios problem. Some older bioses cannot detect big disks properly (also afaik they have problems with more then 32 gb). Especially if you used fdisk for partitioning -- it asks bios about size of hd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

when i first partitioned my hdd i to lost about 10 gigs off me 40 gig hard drive because i didnt partition it properly.
    What i would do is delete all partitions in fdisk start from scratch but dont creat any partitions so u cant go wrong and lose any space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Bios HDD limits went kinda like this over the years:
    540mb
    2Gb
    8Gb
    136Gb

32Gb is the FAT32 limit imposed by XP and Win2k. Ideally don't go over 8Gb as Fat32 isn't optimised beyond this. If you want single large partitions NTFS is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

i found the prob the jumper setting [of which there is 16] was wrong i had it set to "slave 32gb" i changed it to "slave 16 head" worked a treat its,now showing 38.3gigs . THANX 4 Da help all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Villiros

Originally posted by _CreeD_

32Gb is the FAT32 limit imposed by XP and Win2k.

Not only. Some old bioses (like, 99?) would hung up during POST if the drive is bigger then 32 gb. That's what the jumper for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Weeelllll if they did it was a bug, not a design limit (though there's not much of a dfference when the thing won't just work..:)...).

Advertisement