Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idea to help with easy access to ioffl forum

Options
  • 30-10-2001 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

I cant help but think, maybe so many people wouldn’t be asking what were doing and how were doing it as well as repeating stuff several times. If we had separate forums for the separate things ioffl cover. That may we could see what’s happening on all fronts.

I propose 4 forums (3 anyway)

1) Deals with narrowband analog and digital internet. Things about friaco and say QoS like dacs boxes could be placed in here.

2) Deals with broadband, such as cable internet, ADSL, sat ect...

3) Deals with LLU

4) if there is a four, it could be announcements and the like, with users able to reply to treads but not post new ones. Only moderators.

I think this could cut through allot of the crap, sure the post count would probably go down, as less stuff is and has to be repeated, but is that a bad thing. Let me know if im way out of line to even dear suggests it. I don’t know the arrangement ioffl has with boards.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»
    If we had separate forums for the separate things ioffl cover. That may we could see what’s happening on all fronts.
    I think this could cut through allot of the crap, sure the post count would probably go down

Or quadruple it :(

I think finding the thread with the three URLs and a guide to posting and making it sticky again would eliminate many of the innocently stupid threads.

That just leaves the deliberately stupid threads, upon which Bard and dahamsta can exercise their divine powers ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I cant help but think, maybe so many people wouldn’t be asking what were doing and how were doing it as well as repeating stuff several times. If we had separate forums for the separate things ioffl cover. That may we could see what’s happening on all fronts.

There isn't enough traffic Boston. I know it seems like there's a lot of posts and a lot of repetition, but adding more forums will be more likely to turn away visitors. If the forums ever get to the stage that we need to split the main forum, we'll probably migrate the whole shooting match to a dedicated site - this is something I would like to do sometime anyway.

NeilF, thanks for mentioning that, I didn't even clock that the three URL's thread had been unlocked. Dunno what happened to it. I couldn't find it, so I created a new one. I'll add new stuff to that as it becomes necessary. Suggestions are always gratefully received...

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by dahamsta

I didn't even clock that the three URL's thread had been unlocked. Dunno what happened to it. I couldn't find it, so I created a new one. I'll add new stuff to that as it becomes necessary. Suggestions are always gratefully received...

adam

It wasn't a thread, it was an announcement.

See: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/announcement.php?forumid=60

DeVore's announcement displaced my own. The most recent announcement is the one whose subject gets listed in the forum, ... however, when you go to it, you see *ALL* announcements for that forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ah, I see...

"I see," said the blind man, "a hole in the wall".
    "You fool," said the deaf man, "you don't see at all."

(Don't ask me how the deaf man heard the blind man. Maybe he was lipreading or summat. Maybe he wasn't completely deaf, and he had a hearing aid. Ah, leave me alone! God, talk about semantics! :))

Thanks for clearing that up Bard. I think I'll avoid the announcements for a while so. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Fair enough.
    Keep the announcements forum in mind though. it could be handy either which way

• Advertisement
Advertisement