Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hmmmm....Video Riser card....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Holy sh!t, what an ulgy@ssed, noisey, piece 'o crap.
    Why does it need 4 fans ffs?
    Gick!

How about some speccs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

The reason it needs four fans is beacuse there is 4 VooDoo5 chips on it. Thats how 3Dfx are playing it this time around.

Jimmy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

i think id rather an ATI radeon than go with a 3dfx card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Its just not as fast as a geforce at most resolutions , never mind a geforce2, despite 3dfx's best efforts. Because of its complexity, its also too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The Beta-V5500 isn't matching a Geforce, but this baby will have TWICE it's power.
    And more power and memory bandwidth than the Geforce GTS. (On multitexture games the GTS drops to 800 Mpix (Pretty damn cool in its own right) but the V6000 stays at around 1.3/1.4 Gpix. If you want AntiAliasing it is the only this-gen card that will do a decent job at High Res.

The Radeon won't be out til the end of the year though. The V6000 is due in about 2 months realistically, and that nice looking Geforce GTS will be in the shops in a few weeks.
    To wait , or not to wait.....

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 27-04-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Geforce 2 Isn't out and no more than the V5 6000 ... nobody knows for sure what hidden issues either final version cards might have when released. In any case they will both be ridiculously priced .. the V5 6000 (more so) being exactly twice the price of the V5 5500.

I've ordered the Voodoo 5 5500 because in all the reviews I've seen (testing on the version which is out in 4 days), it has proved better than the current standard of Ge Force cards (btw- There are a few different types of GF remember)

I'll be running games at 1024x768 and on a 19" screen and that should deliver better performance than any current Geforce.

As for Price ... 266 Irish.

In any case, It's all overkill at this stage .. so i can't see myself being dissapointed with the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Who gives a **** what it looks like, its inside the computer.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭-=Raven=-

V5500 is a big mistake by 3dfx. Right its in beta yes....but look at performance...and before anyone starts saying its only a beta..listen.

Its almost complete : and with a May 25th release for the AGP (late june pci) its on the way. 32-bit colour is nice, and it has a decent fill rate at high res. But like, its not even as good as G-Force atm. Last years perfmormance now? I think not.

As for Voodoo4 LOL, if Voodoo5 has this type of performance I'd rather not see a low end Voodoo4 tbh. The thing v5 has going for it is this ; the mac market. That'll keep it afloat.

Against Radeon and NV15 , there is no hope. We can all talk about v6 and the scalability of all the gpu's there..but the cost of that wont be nice, especially as its being aimed at the highest end.

But this is only my opinion. Things could go alright for them...but I doubt it.
    Remember when 3dfx were kings?....seems like ages ago now, oh wait it was smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭-=Raven=-

Eh....G-Force2 , u know about it, so i wont go into spec. Ummm....but does anyone know how much it'll cost?

I mean the performance is hardly noticable.
    5,6 frames at most (Quake3) - apart from q3quaver demo...which is lot (15-20)

At least with the TnT and TNT2/Ultra there was a big difference..this is crap.
    Maybe performance might be more noticable on lower end pcs? Maybe not

Just thought I'd say something

[This message has been edited by -=Raven=- (edited 27-04-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

the 64mb GF gives exact same performance as a 32mb GF with 16bit textures at resolutions up to and including 1024X768 and a slight increase at 32bit textures.

the addition of extra chips and memory is not the answer to extra speed, rather a rethink of how graphics cards work is needed, GF was a step in the right direction.

very very interesting article on arstechnica about why the PCs graphic and multimedia capabilities are stunted and compares it to the architecture employed in the PS2 which is the way forward in this area...
    heavyweight reading but well worth the effort:
    http://www.arstechnica.com/cpu/2q00/ps2/ps2vspc-1.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

geforce 2 in 4 days from elsa , £299 after conversion 32 mb ddr

/me gets out the bank card

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 285 ✭✭sam

On multitexture games the GTS drops to 800 Mpix
    emm in multitextured games (most fps games) the gts has a texture fillrate of 1600million per second

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Nope....The GTS has 4 single pixel, double texture unit pipelines. At 200mhz, thats 1600MegaTexels and 800MegaPixels (Presuming 2 textures). The V6000 has true 1.3GPix/GTex performance.

Advertisement