Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

chaos and imaturity on boards.ie

• 31-10-2001 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

I have noticed that moderators are not concerning themselves with the integrity of a subject/thread but more concerned with changing peoples thinking process`s.

All other people do is read a thread, then instead of giving consructive input, then abuse the original poster and spoil the thread, or if your a moderator... Lock or delete the post or thread.

if moderators where concerning themselves with what they are suppose to... then any abusive or non constructive replies would be removed.

for example:

after posting a thread someone jumps right in and posts...

"Awhh nooo not again??? cant you think of anything else to talk about"

something like this in a thread that is discussing a new book or play is detracting from the threads content and allows others who are not interested in the original post to spoil the whole thread.

this should be caught and taken out! of the post along with other replies that stick to this spoiler, leaving the original thread intact.
    Which is the kind of thing a Real moderator should be concerning themselves with and not! just imposing there own opinions into the forum and taking advantage of there position by deleting or locking threads that are completely legit but which the moderator simply disagrees with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Slimjim

"Awhh nooo not again??? cant you think of anything else to talk about":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Ah for god's sake, you people do nothing but bicker, week in, week out, there's always something new, be it abusive moderators, freedom of speech, inappropriate (anything). This is an internet discussion board, not a fucking church!
    Loosen up! Get high! (Oh, am I allowed say that?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

No, you're not. Please hold while we alter your thinking process'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by BoneCollector
    I have noticed that moderators are not concerning themselves with the integrity of a subject/thread but more concerned with changing peoples thinking process`s.

moderators are not school teachers. we are not here to check spelling or tell people what to say. id like to see some of these threads where a moderator has 'tried to change' peoples thinking. not that would actually be bad for some poeple i could mention :)

All other people do is read a thread, then instead of giving consructive input, then abuse the original poster and spoil the thread, or if your a moderator... Lock or delete the post or thread.

in all fairness, people can post whatever they want. again, this is not a classroom situation where people have to post a relative discussion point. ok, we may all be intellectually stimulated, but wed also be pretty bored. variety after all is the spice of life
    besides, because you think its not constructive doesnt mean it isnt. as for moderators locking threads, well, talk to the mods. monty is probably the busiest in this department, but then again, he gets an awful lot of muck on his board so i wouldnt blame him.
    most deletes are on the humanities board, but thats because castor troy is a facist and we all know that, so dont post rubbish there or it will get deleted.
    if moderators where concerning themselves with what they are suppose to... then any abusive or non constructive replies would be removed.

for example:

after posting a thread someone jumps right in and posts...

"Awhh nooo not again??? cant you think of anything else to talk about"

something like this in a thread that is discussing a new book or play is detracting from the threads content and allows others who are not interested in the original post to spoil the whole thread.

moderators are concerned with making sure the boards do not fall into chaos and anarchy. that nothing illegal is taking place and that posts dont get abusive. other than that i can call every single member of this board a 'poo-head' if i want. its non constructive sure, but its hardly illegal or amoral or abusive.
    sure theyd probably get deleted and id get a bollicking from devore but we are not here to police peoples opinions and make sure that if a post is not constructive that it doesnt stay up. often you will find replies like this create a spin of debate anyway.

as for the aww no, not that again. hmmm, i wonder why people do that?
    is it because they are sick of that topic maybe?
    personally i tend to ignore them and read the thread after it gets over a certain length as its probably got interesting at that point.

oh, and i dount very much if its a new topic completely that someone would say oh no not again. sounds silly to me.

this should be caught and taken out! of the post along with other replies that stick to this spoiler, leaving the original thread intact.
    Which is the kind of thing a Real moderator should be concerning themselves with and not! just imposing there own opinions into the forum and taking advantage of there position by deleting or locking threads that are completely legit but which the moderator simply disagrees with.

are you telling people how to do their job, or write on a board, or reply, or act?
    you sound like you are trying to change peoples thought process there.
    but more concerned with changing peoples thinking process`s.

bit of a hypocrite really arent you?
    try not to complain about something and then go and do it.
    makes you look like a poo-head....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Well it seems to me that these post where you get someone replying (spelling?) with "awww no, not again" etc, that this is where boards.ie lets down newbies (sorry for using the term, its such a stigma).

If someone new posts a topic and 5 minutes later the first reply comes from a moderator / freak / no lifer / SMAK / Rich (i left admins out cos they are pretty sound when it comes to this) in the form of "aww no not this again", some other newbies won't reply even if they want to see the discussion go further.

Bring on the flame

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

WhiteWashMan:

I aggree with absolutely everything you say (if only it where true!)
    my experience on science has been the oposite to what you have stated.

I dont dictate that mods should only concern them selves with what i propose but less of what you say they should not! concern them selves with.

However they do...

they do! police what people say

They do! tell you what you can and cant post

They do! delete or lock mails that does not fit into there realm of thinking.

and if someone post something like.. AWww no not again!!
    it fuels them even more! to interfere with what you propse which is..

Poeple have a right to say what ever they want.

so if mods have all this time to do all these kind de-constructive activities on the board, then they have just as much time to do the more productive policeing i suggested.

BTW: i think you trying to be too clever with your double edge reply about me trying to change other peoples thinking process`s.
    and being hypcritacal?

i you make a comment and someone deletes your comment and tells you thats not correct thinking, thats an infringment on You!

if you complain about His thinking process(as you call it) regarding this transgression you are standing up for your right of freedom of speech which he also has BUT! NOT!! the right to Delete! you.

And so...
    you say what you want
    he says what he wants
    all is fair in war and piece
    >>
    you say what you want
    he Gags you(deletes your post)
    he infringes on YOu!
    you complaining about this is NOT! trying to change ones thinking process but defending your! right to free speech which he has taken away leaving his right to free speach intact!

im sorry bone-collector, but i cant fully understand what it is youre trying to say here. i need some sort of context or example, as one of statements can be easily misconstrued, and im sure you dont want me to take them up incorrectly.

however....

mods dont tell you what you can post.
    the admins decide what is acceptable. personal opinions are not policed. abuse etc is policed. and remember, mods are allowed to give their opionions as well. its not some sort of totalitarianist society here. we are allowed freedom of speech as well you know.

posts are deleted if they are abusive. then its not worth reading is it.
    if it is illegal. if it has warez links etc. its not tolerated
    if its something we have been told to look out for by admins. eg. i edited 2 posts on work forum recently because someone just stuck up a post advertising their site. we are not an ad agency. you want to advertise here, talk to admin.
    if theres a flame war going on and the mod hasnt got a sense of humour that day, he will lock it. after all its just going to be some calling someone a pooh-head and then someone else saying they are a pooh-head times 10. worth reading again.
    you still havent given me any examples of threads or posts that have been locked or deleted, so i cant give you an answer. to make general sweeping statements about mods police work is not very constructive is it?

im not trying to be clever at all about your argument. you clearly say that you dont like being told what to say and then you posted that we shoudl do it this way. i mearly pointed out that i was contradictory.

and again, i have yet to see examples of this freedom of speech thing you keep harping on a bout. if its happened i'll warrent its a rare case, in which case i think we can forgive the odd tresspass dont you and put it down to a bad day. in which case theres no need for more discussion. if its a common thing on a certain board, hell im interested to find out

so lets go through it again shall we....
    yes, mods check posts.
    no mods dont tell you what to write or how to think.
    mods lock/delete posts or threads they deem should be.

now, take it from there and show me where this is going awry...

WhiteWashMan:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32782

this thread was legit and i added my input to this in several post
    but the mod decied to remove one of my most demanding post because he felt it did not suit and was more like science fiction (this is an "opinion" which was not chalanged with a reply but a delete)

the closing statement by this mod was not the last post because i replyed and He Deleted! my reply because it chalaged him

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34476

This one was also legit and he locked it

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&goto=lastpost&threadid=34097

and this one addressed the other 2

ok, ive read all the links.

first thing i noticed is that now this isnt about mods.
    its about bob the unlucky octopusdelteing several of your posts.
    as it happens i posted to that thread as i thought it was interesting.
    so its not about us all :)
    in other words youre having a bitching session about one moderator.
    secondly, you picked the one board where a discussion actually has to be based on theories, reality and fact. its not a fiction board, its a science board and i think hes well within his means to post up a warning saying that what you are saying is complete sci-fi. id have to agree with him. in fact i think i posted a reply to one of your posts about black holes (or did i? maybe someone else said something about them)

to be honest he has warned you about it, and youve continued to post up science fiction. im not surprised. sometimes if you want a thread to succeed you need to chop out the deadwood. in this case yourse was unnesseccary rubbish that the thread could and did, do without.

now, dont start in on some sort of 'oh you mods stick together' because thats rubbish. ive had quiet a few run ins with people on this board, and i make no difference between mods or users. about 2 months ago i had a big bitching session with bob as i thought he was, well, it doesnt actually matter. however, its his board to moderate and i think he was correct.

so, you have posted up originally complaining generally, and weve discovered its one mod in one thread. thats hardly chaos is it?
    he aske dyou not to post up what he precieved to be science fiction (and it is) and you did anyway.
    he deleted your post to keep the thread running as it is an intersting thread.
    you wage a one man war against him for this.

am i wrong that you may be a little over zealous here?
    unfortunately as ive said you chose the wrong board (a science board = fact) to express an opionion. there are no opinons on science, only fact.
    hell, why not just start the thread on the sci-fi board?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I've seen a lot of your posts that were moved, BoneCollector, and they were off-topic, plain and simple. When Science was created the Admins (Dev I think) specifically said that it was for discussing Hard Science, not morality, not sci-fi, not whatever crap your on about. Sooooooooo STFU! you loser!

WE ARE TEH MODS! MUPPETRY MUST BE OPRESSED! OBEY TEH MODS! FOR YOUR COMFORT AND SAFTEY!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You know you could of stopped all this discussion if you just mentioned Occy in the first post. ;)

Ok it's like this...

Nearly all the moderators on each board have somewhat the same level of tolerance to offtopic posts. Some more then others (try posting off topic in accom forum, I DARE YOU ;))

Anyway Occy has the misfortune of running a forum where people think if you quote something from star trek or your drug induced ramblings that somehow it should go into Science.

If you want to prove something silly like "Wormholes make you go back in time", cite it with proof.

There is a lot of pseudo-science posts in science and personally would not like to see them (leave for after hours)

If you post something on the same science topic but more ethical related (eg. should we clone people) it should be on Humanities.

Lastly if a mod says cut it out... stop. If you want to take a hissy fit about it, pick another subject and try to outdebate him/her instead (that really upsets Occy ;))

****ewashman
    Quote:

simple: its science fiction!
    meaning it not to be taken seriously.

to post on the science board is to get real or as close to real feed back.
    if i make a post that says..

What if is click my heals 2 times will i travel to cansis.

there are 2 types of reply here..
    one that criticises
    or one that takes mr spocks approach to a question which explain why this would not happen and if it was to happen what else would be requred.
    thus keeping scientific.
    i would suggest that the science board is as much input as it could be educational.(output)
    Where not all einstines as i feel yourself and occy seem to feel we should be in order to use the science board.

so from what your suggesting
    is that the Science board is for People who are an authority on the universe!?

Come on.. lets get real here ( and i am talking about the real world not cyberspace)
    My posts are Legit! posing quiestions to be answered.

Now correct me if im wrong here...
    i post a tread.
    people post there comments

if the thread is not popular it starts to go further and further down the list of threads till it becomes obsolete.
    this is natural etrition that allows younger or newer threads to gain popularity and older or uninteresting threads to disappear.
    We dont need Mods to make this determination.

and no this is not just about one mod, as i already covered this in one of the threads i posted you links to.
    in this i was commenting generaly about other post that are appearing criticising other mods for there for there cencorship tactics.
    You asked me for expamples so i gave you one that relates to me.
    Again.. i am not going to say you mods stick together but...
    your now contradicting yourself with all the comments you made originaly about what you felt mods do and dont do or should and should not do.

i could write volumes on how there is a fine line between science fiction and science fact.

simply put: the only difference is How seriously you want to take the subject content when it is posted.
    you either criticise and trivialise or respond like mr spock (being constructive with your responce)

was cpt kirk fantacising when he wrote his log on a palm top

was he also fantacising when he used his flip comunicator

science fiction --->science fact
    Theory ----> till proven or not

****ewashman

oh dear not a good start is it?
    you want some to listen to what you are saying, try not to insult them with your first word. at least save it until theyve read the post.

Quote:

to post on the science board is to get real or as close to real feed back.
    if i make a post that says..

What if is click my heals 2 times will i travel to cansis.

there are 2 types of reply here..
    one that criticises
    or one that takes mr spocks approach to a question which explain why this would not happen and if it was to happen what else would be requred.
    thus keeping scientific.
    i would suggest that the science board is as much input as it could be educational.(output)
    Where not all einstines as i feel yourself and occy seem to feel we should be in order to use the science board.

WRONG!
    why does science fisction not get taken seriously?
    have you seen the amount of people that have learnt klingon?

if you are going to post on the science board and you are going to make pretty outrageous and unfounded statements, then its generally appreciated if you back it up with some sort of research, paper, thesis, or experiment. not just your own informed opinion on time lines (which were wrong anyway as it happens)

you dont need to be einstein, me or occy to post on the science board. you just need to either have some sort of link as in per my suggestions above, or put forward some theory, such as yours and see if anyone has anything on it. you dont try and ram stuff down peoples throats. some mods will delete stuff like that. and in a topic such as that one, im not surprised.
    mr spock was scientific, he didnt throw opions about the nature of the universe around, and im sure he would be out of his vulcan mind to disagree with me here. if he were real that is....
    so from what your suggesting
    is that the Science board is for People who are an authority on the universe!?

Come on.. lets get real here ( and i am talking about the real world not cyberspace)
    My posts are Legit! posing quiestions to be answered.

Now correct me if im wrong here...
    i post a tread.
    people post there comments

if the thread is not popular it starts to go further and further down the list of threads till it becomes obsolete.
    this is natural etrition that allows younger or newer threads to gain popularity and older or uninteresting threads to disappear.
    We dont need Mods to make this determination.

WRONG AGAIN!
    the science board is for everyone. if anyone here is an authority on the universe id be greatly surprised, unless stephen hawking is here under an assumed name.

no, this is a cyber wolrd. its a pc connected by a cable. but it is a real world. you posted muck on a thread, it got deleted. learn hte lesson. it happens. you live with it. its not the end of your life. you will live to post another day. why dont you start a thread hten on the science board asking for input (and not telling us some sensational stuff.) and research and then put up a few links and i guarentee poeple will take a kinder view to this approach.

and no this is not just about one mod, as i already covered this in one of the threads i posted you links to.
    in this i was commenting generaly about other post that are appearing criticising other mods for there for there cencorship tactics.
    You asked me for expamples so i gave you one that relates to me.
    Again.. i am not going to say you mods stick together but...
    your now contradicting yourself with all the comments you made originaly about what you felt mods do and dont do or should and should not do.

well i should go back and read htem shouldnt i coz all i saw was to references on the science board and another complaining about your treatment on the science board.
    how have i contradicted myself.
    i said mods are here to make sure hteres not abuse or rubbish posted. what can i saw, different mods have differnt views on what is called rubbish. personally i would have left your posts, but hey, what a boring world it would be if we were all the same?
    ****i could write volumes on how there is a fine line between science fiction and science fact.

really?
    now that does interest me.
    having come from a physics degree background, id be interested to hear what you have to say on that?
    science fiction does not exist.
    science fact is proven .

hmm, sounds like a big difference to me
    simply put: the only difference is How seriously you want to take the subject content when it is posted.
    you either criticise and trivialise or respond like mr spock (being constructive with your responce)

simply put my friend, the only difference is the way you post.
    do you want to seem to be vaguely interested in peoples opinions, or do you wnt to be seem to be a know it all and then get p!ssed off when people tell you to staop talking rubbish?
    you criticise it someone tells you something you know is wrong. you point out the wrong in it.
    you respond constructively otherwise. heres a hint for you. put in a 'IMHO' or 'ive heard' or something like that.

was cpt kirk fantacising when he wrote his log on a palm top

was he also fantacising when he used his flip comunicator

wouldnt know. im not a treky so i have no idea what he did. star trek sucks anyway, in my honest opinion....

science fiction --->science fact
    Theory ----> till proven or not

COMPLETELY WRONG!!!!!!!!!

science fiction is things that have been made up and there is no valid proof for. like cold fusion. (dont start that here...)
    it can be litriture, it can something else. IT IS FICTION. IE. NOT FACT>
    a theory is something that works under a set of circumstances or boundries UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE. then is is called a disgarded theory and is then used to prove other theories, or disprove them whatever. the basic fact about theories is that they have merit after they have been disproved.
    theory during the time of galileo was that the earth was the centre of the universe. he proved the theory wrong. we know use his theory that the sun is the centre of the solar system until it is disproved. chances on that are slim.

i can debate this all week if you want, but at the end of the day, everyone is going to say mods do a job, and they do it well. every now and then we get one or two people that ,moan because theyve had a post deleted. you are one out of 2500 people on this board. dont worry about it. if you are worried about it, then post up links to all the other injustices out there, and then get al the people who feel this way to post up. hell, stick it on the work board. i could do with a few hits :) and i promise not to edit or delete it.

/me plays set my people free card and wwman super troll card for double damage....

by the way, if you dont want it to be called scince fiction, lets call it pop science instead.
    hows that?
    maybe you can ask for a pop science board and you can be moderator?

Whitewash:
    simply put my friend, the only difference is the way you post. do you want to seem to be vaguely interested in peoples opinions, or do you wnt to be seem to be a know it all and then get p!ssed off when people tell you to staop talking rubbish?

you see!
    Theres the flaw in your argument..
    You missed my point several posts ago....

I have NO! objections to someone posting/telling me that what i have posted is rubish. whiich everyone who post is limited to doing. Its when some Deletes my post instead! of posting a reply.

to use the argument "your a know it all" is a term used when your oppenent realises that the argument can go on further. However.. there is no one in this world that knows it all?
    i never lay claims to it either, and i seem to remember asking..
    if there where anyone arround that was an authority on the universe.
    I i could answer.. "Me me me!! yes i know all the answers"
    i wouldnt be engaging in Topic discussion which from what i remember or the definition of discusion"
    is.. free exchange of ideas and information.

Whitewash:
    ****wash?? hmm.. (I dont know what happend there!?)
    im sure i typed WHITE? IN MY PREVIOUS MAIL :confused:
    simply put my friend, the only difference is the way you post. do you want to seem to be vaguely interested in peoples opinions, or do you wnt to be seem to be a know it all and then get p!ssed off when people tell you to staop talking rubbish?

you see!
    Theres the flaw in your argument..
    You missed my point several posts ago....

I have NO! objections to someone posting/telling me that what i have posted is rubish. whiich everyone who post is limited to doing. Its when some Deletes my post instead! of posting a reply.

to use the argument "your a know it all" is a term used when your oppenent realises that the argument can go on further. However.. there is no one in this world that knows it all?
    i never lay claims to it either, and i seem to remember asking..
    if there where anyone arround that was an authority on the universe.
    I i could answer.. "Me me me!! yes i know all the answers"
    i wouldnt be engaging in Topic discussion which from what i remember or the definition of discusion"
    is.. free exchange of ideas and information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

No. Thats the Humour Board. Science fiction can be taken extreamly serious by alot of people.

i didnt say you were a know it all.
    i said your posts gave the attitude of being a know it all....

rest of your post is spouting rubbish.
    sorry. if you have apoint, make it in english. its all well and good to spout about the universe, but try too make yourself comprehensible. problem with too many people posts these days. padding and no substance....

anyway, i cn say til im blue in the face, that some mods will toletrate tripe on their boards more than others.
    occy, on the scince board less so than, well, just about everyone.
    but thats his perogative to keep a thread on track.
    why do you find this so outrageous.
    hell, ive had dozens of posts deleted for being an argumentative bas7ard.

oh, and how is that the flaw in my argument.
    if you are going to debate an issue, make sure you back it up with an explanation. putting a quote in and then saying 'look, youre wrong' means nothing to me because i dont know what context its in.

hope this has helped and you will now post more thoughtful and popular votes.

remember, i am the jagre to your fame....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

If there's one thing I hate it's a know it all.

(when is the next secret moderators only meeting? We should discuss our plan for the removal of Bone collector)

.logic.

Yeah me too!! :D
    Moderators make terrible ones :D:D

Washman:
    How can i backup my claim with something that has been deleted
    :confused:

Anyway Nice Debating with you :p
    we must bash heads again soon! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭Xterminator

As an unbiased observer, I suggest you remove this thread to the kindergarten area.

P.S. Keep up the good work, theres little enought to read these days, that doesn't involve USA vs Taliban.

Also please dont delete my post just cause it has no point, is way off thread, and generally doesnt contribute to the discussion in any way!
    :)

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

I only just saw this thread, but I see Eamo's done the business already.

Bonecollector- the only objectionable thing about your posts is that you approach them from the perspective of an armchair sci-fi savant rather than a scientist. Exactly the same topic can be approached from a critical scientific perspective with a far greater potential for discussion. Besides which, the topic you've picked is grossly theoretical, extremely complex mathematically, and involve concepts truly understood by very few on the planet. Approaching such a high-level problem from such a banal standpoint, I feel, degrades the thinking process of those who actually take the time to research a well-defined point of view.

Let us take another example of how a "pseudoscientific" topic can be approached from two different angles: Nanotechnology.

If I started a thread claiming nanobots would one day rule the planet with their evil machinations and independent collective intelligence, enslaving mankind in the process, I'd be laughed off, and probably forced to lock my own thread. If however, I focused on work currently taking place in this area, put forward thoughts about how the technology is likely to progress and how...then the topic takes on an interesting feel, and opens itself to scientific discussion. Do you see what I'm getting at here BoneCollector? Science fiction may indeed one day evolve to science fact, but it's only through intelligent scientific discussion that that's going to happen. Not through unevidenced postulations from Captain Kirk's cakehole claiming what may or may not be possible from an esoteric point of view.

Occy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Feel free to post any of your wild idea's on the sci/fi board, i'll even ensure any replys are semi constructive n non abusive ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I wish I could go back in time and warn myself not to read all that crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Originally posted by Bob the Unlucky Octopus
    If I started a thread claiming nanobots would one day rule the planet with their evil machinations and independent collective intelligence, enslaving mankind in the process, I'd be laughed off, and probably forced to lock my own thread.
    Not if you were Kevin Warwick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I have to say here that I disagree entirely with Occy's approach to this particular matter; while certainly people jumping off at the deep end without backup is pointless in scientific discussion, "horizons" type discussion is the basis of a lot of interesting science-focused conversation, and it seems that it's this blue-sky theorising and argument which is being cracked down on on the Science board - hence why I personally stopped reading it rather quickly.

If you want it to be a Hard Science board, I tend to feel that a general public messageboard isn't the place for it to be.

Besides, if you'd banned discussions about Arthur Clarke's SF ideas for machines orbiting the earth to facilitate communications and the SpaceGuard project when he first addressed them in his novels, you'd have looked like a right díck a few years down the line... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I think Bonecollector should get rid of that ridiculous sig anim...

as for the rest of this thread...

BLEH! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Bone Collector,

Your signature has violated the rules we posted for image signatures, and has been removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

cant believe that this thread is still active :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

ROFLOL haven't had as good a laugh as this in ages, thanks Bonecollector.

Man if he thinks Bob is bad he should try me and Castor Troy on the Humanities board :)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by Shinji
    I have to say here that I disagree entirely with Occy's approach to this particular matter;

[SNIP]

hence why I personally stopped reading it rather quickly.

If you want it to be a Hard Science board, I tend to feel that a general public messageboard isn't the place for it to be.

Ditto.

Al.

Advertisement