Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ANNOUNCE: The IrelandOffline Blackout

Options
  • 31-10-2001 3:35am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

This post is to announce to the IrelandOffline membership the final, official date for the IrelandOffline Blackout. The original date suggested for the Blackout was the 26th of October, however because of time and organisational constraints, it was decided that a date in mid-November would allow the IrelandOffline committee more time to prepare and publicise the event. The date was finalised this weekend, and we're pleased to announce that the event will now take place on Friday, November the 16th.

If you're unfamiliar with the IrelandOffline Blackout, please take a moment to read the original proposal and some comments by IrelandOffline members here, and in another, related topic here. A website detailing the IrelandOffline Blackout - including our goals, what we hope to achieve, and of course how to take part - will be announced to IrelandOffline members and the media on Friday. If possible, we will give IrelandOffline members a "sneak preview" before the website is officially announced, to garner feedback and suggestions for improvements, however this is not guaranteed.

The IrelandOffline committee would like to thank IrelandOffline members for their continued support, and in particular their recent patience while our outward participation was unavoidably lessened. We would like to assure the membership that we are continuing to represent them to the best of our abilities, and that as and when concrete results from our political manoeuvrings becomes apparent, we will release detailed information to the membership.

We sincerely hope that the membership will continue to support the organisation, and its ultimate goal of affordable Internet access for all, by joining in the Blackout to the greatest extent that they can.

Thank you,
    Adam Beecher

IrelandOffline Committee Member
    www.irelandoffline.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

Whats goin on ?? I see 108 Views but not 1 single reply post ?

MS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I am going to take part in the Blackout.....but is it really enough?

Perhaps picketing outside some of the Eircom shops would achieve more?? Id say Eircom would be extremely upset with us if we for example, loitered around Henry street with our Eircon T-shirts and big colorful anti Eircon slogans!

Long live IOFL!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by MS
    Whats goin on ?? I see 108 Views but not 1 single reply post ?

MS

Eh?

Just 'cos you've read a post doesn't mean you have to reply to it... as that post of yours I've quoted has quite adequately shown, imho...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

My apologies but... I won't be able to take part, despite planning to.

Here's a quick explanation why:

I am co-webmaster of one of the biggest Harry Potter sites in the world, Friday November 16th 2001 will be one of the most important dates ever for Harry Potter Fans as it marks the U.S/U.K/Ireland/Canada public release of the first Harry Potter movie and I need to be on for most of the day to churn out new movie related content etc etc.

My sincere and humblest apologies to everyone who has worked on this campaign :( I am letting you all down...I know...I apologise...but I really can't help this.

Sorry,

~NR

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

No need to apologise NoelRock. There was no doubt that it would clash with something, but as I said, we only want people to take part to the best of their ability. And you can still help of course, by telling your friends, business acquaintances (non-Harry Potter!), etc.

Congrats on the site BTW. Where is it then?

adam
    /who's too lazy to look at profiles... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

http://hpu.harrypotterfun.com/

You should look into advertising the site alot more. It looks very nice and has quite alot of excellant content but I work for Time Warner and have been doing alot of Harry Potter related projects and had never heard of the site b4 now.

As regards the blackout I won't be able to participate as previously thought.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Hi Dahamsta,

What I would like to see is (1) a single page (index.html) that everyone can use, which will be generic in nature, and link to (2) specific pages on the IrelandOffline site that will give all the background information and contacts and, especially, specific text (with e-mail links where possible) which people could send to their TDs and ministers and so on. I am ready to help format the html files for (2) if text is provided to me (everson@evertype.com). For (1), I have already made a single HTML file and a single gif available at http://www.evertype.com/misc/blackout/blackout-formal.html

Please e-mail me if you want me to help further in this regard.

Yoda

[URL corrected - dahamsta][/url]

Originally posted by NoelRock
    My apologies but... I won't be able to take part, despite planning to.

Here's a quick explanation why:

I am co-webmaster of one of the biggest Harry Potter sites in the world, Friday November 16th 2001 will be one of the most important dates ever for Harry Potter Fans as it marks the U.S/U.K/Ireland/Canada public release of the first Harry Potter movie and I need to be on for most of the day to churn out new movie related content etc etc.

My sincere and humblest apologies to everyone who has worked on this campaign :( I am letting you all down...I know...I apologise...but I really can't help this.

Sorry,

~NR

No better way to let the world know of Ireland's plight than to have the blackout appear on these pages on this date! You could include on the blackout page a link to the "real" HP pages and still make the point.

You know, in Kazakhstan there are apparently 10,000 DSL users. Makes you think, dunnit?

Just 'cos you've read a post doesn't mean you have to reply to it... as that post of yours I've quoted has quite adequately shown, imho...

Bard what i ment by my post was that i was suprised to see soo many people had read it (108) without comment. I thought that the thread was broken in some way and no one could reply to it so i just posted that to see if it worked. I didnt understand that 108 people had read it and and were afraid to reply to it just .... in case u come down on them becaouse u are a low life with power. STOP picking on me becaouse u CAN get away with it!. If u dont like what i say then just IGNORE it. Its that simple! Or does your Rule still apply:

DONT CROSS ME! Im a MODERATOR! I have The Power!

I know u have mate... Nice One!

MS

PS You can post your really intellagent reply to this now if u want.. Short and to the Point ... but u dont have to ... i already know your a Moderator.... a very intellagent on at that too.
    hmmmmmmmm

Now is it ok if u put the past behind u and stop picking on me and pointing out **** just becaouse i got up your nose ? Let sleeping dogs Lie mate.

Hi Dahamsta

Hi Yoda.

What I would like to see is (1) a single page (index.html) that everyone can use, which will be generic in nature

Done. Users will be able to simply save the splash screen from irelandoffline.org, or any other site that carries it for that matter. The HTML will source the image from blackout.irelandoffline.org, so they won't even need to save that.

and link to (2) specific pages on the IrelandOffline site that will give all the background information and contacts

Done. The site will be at blackout.irelandoffline.org RSN. It's quite detailed, but simple and (I think) effective. And it will have the same header as the rest of the site, so they can jump immediately to relevant sections.

Myself and Elena are currently debating (ok, I'm debating :)) whether or not to hold off until Monday to announce it to the media, because it still needs some tweaking. I want it to be just right. If we do that, I'll post a link here tomorrow for the IrelandOffline membership to take a peek and offer suggestions. If we don't, I'm afraid you'll have to see it the same time as the other lot. :)

and, especially, specific text (with e-mail links where possible) which people could send to their TDs and ministers and so on.

Not done, but will be, or at least something along those lines. To be honest, I'm not keen on boilerplate stuff, because it tends to get ignored (think of your spam folder). The most effective letter to a politician is a personal one, listing genuine problems and concerns. That said, I realise that some people aren't going to go to the trouble, so I'll make something available, /after/ asking them to do it themselves.

I'm not giving direct email links though, I don't think that's playing fair. I'll link the relevant places to find them though. And I'll also be adding a few sigfiles and vacation responder messages. Maybe even a few suggestions for telephone answering machine messages! :)

I am ready to help format the html files for (2) if text is provided to me (everson@evertype.com).

I'm pretty much done with this, although I appreciate the offer. If I need help, you can bet that I'll be in touch. :)

For (1), I have already made a single HTML file and a single gif available at http://www.evertype.com/misc/blackout/blackout-formal.html

Went looking for it today Yoda, but I was lazy and didn't look very hard, so I'm glad you came along. I'll be modifying the formatting a little, but I like what you said so it won't be much. I have a different logo, but thanks are again due because I used yours as the base. :)

Thanks for the post.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by Yoda

You know, in Kazakhstan there are apparently 10,000 DSL users. Makes you think, dunnit?

True, also that in Lima, Peru they are rolling out adsl even though there has been a sizeable takeup of cable in that city for over a year now @ $40/mnth, just makes the situation here very embarassing for a 'developed' country. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

If you want to e-mail your local TD about this you can find their e-mail address here:

http://myhome.iolfree.ie/~mijag/td_emails.html

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by dahamsta

Done. Users will be able to simply save the splash screen from irelandoffline.org, or any other site that carries it for that matter. The HTML will source the image from blackout.irelandoffline.org, so they won't even need to save that.

So, how can I go about doing this? Will there be details given?

Originally posted by dahamsta
    What I would like to see is (1) a single page (index.html) that everyone can use, which will be generic in nature

Can we see, can we see, hunh, hunh? :)
    and link to (2) specific pages on the IrelandOffline site that will give all the background information and contacts

Done. The site will be at blackout.irelandoffline.org RSN. It's quite detailed, but simple and (I think) effective. And it will have the same header as the rest of the site, so they can jump immediately to relevant sections.
    Very cool.
    Myself and Elena are currently debating (ok, I'm debating :)) whether or not to hold off until Monday to announce it to the media, because it still needs some tweaking. I want it to be just right. If we do that, I'll post a link here tomorrow for the IrelandOffline membership to take a peek and offer suggestions. If we don't, I'm afraid you'll have to see it the same time as the other lot. :)
    (Yoda pouts. Good-naturedly.)
    and, especially, specific text (with e-mail links where possible) which people could send to their TDs and ministers and so on.

Not done, but will be, or at least something along those lines. To be honest, I'm not keen on boilerplate stuff, because it tends to get ignored (think of your spam folder). The most effective letter to a politician is a personal one, listing genuine problems and concerns. That said, I realise that some people aren't going to go to the trouble, so I'll make something available, /after/ asking them to do it themselves.
    I agree about boilerplates. Some text that we could rewrite would be helpful to lots of folks, I suspect, though.
    I'm not giving direct email links though, I don't think that's playing fair. I'll link the relevant places to find them though. And I'll also be adding a few sigfiles and vacation responder messages. Maybe even a few suggestions for telephone answering machine messages! :)
    Fair enough.
    I am ready to help format the html files for (2) if text is provided to me.

I'm pretty much done with this, although I appreciate the offer. If I need help, you can bet that I'll be in touch. :)
    At your service.
    For (1), I have already made a single HTML file and a single gif available at http://www.evertype.com/misc/blackout/blackout-formal.html

Went looking for it today Yoda, but I was lazy and didn't look very hard, so I'm glad you came along. I'll be modifying the formatting a little, but I like what you said so it won't be much. I have a different logo, but thanks are again due because I used yours as the base. :)
    Actually all I'd done originally was take the Irelandoffline logo and reverse the values so it looked cool on black. :)
    Thanks for the post.
    Thanks for the answer! Looking forward to the 16th! Are we still thinking about a Friday-to-Monday stretch?

I'm looking for final feedback from the community on the Blackout website before I announce the protest and the site to the media later this evening.

Note that I'm aware that the site still needs some tweaking - downloadable splash screen, links, propaganda material, etc - and I have that in-hand, so I'm really just looking for glaring errors, and maybe suggestions for additional questions and answers.

Design criticism and suggestions for reorganisation for better karmic harmony will be ignored. Feng shui is not an option.

The website is at blackout.irelandoffline.org.

[NOTE: Please do not start sending this URL to all and sundry straight away, as it will defeat the purpose. It will take a little time for this to reach the presses, so we have a few days to tidy up first. I would like the website to be as comprehensive as possible before we start really popularising it. Hence this announcement. Thank you. We now return you to normal programming.]

Thanks,
    adam

Ok i have read an understood the post at blackout.irelandoffline.org
    It looks great and im in total agreement with it. But i still need some help here...

1. Flyers (everyone is talking about them but no one has suggested what should be on them)

2. The date for the Blackout is the 16th Nov and i think its a bit pointless handing out Flyers on that day becaouse everyone will be shopping etc. and not take much notice of a Flyer that tells then they aught to try comply with something that should happen on that day without Prior notification.

3. I dont care if this offends anyone but MORE information is needed by everyone that is going to.... or trying to be involved. A simple once off post that makes a statement and then does not follow through on it will not do.

Its late 3:44am and im tired. I have watched and waited for what seemed like ages and all i hear is a single dog bark that has no teeth. Come on ye guys .... give us something to work on ok.

MS

1. Flyers (everyone is talking about them but no one has suggested what should be on them)

A flyer (or flyers) is being prepared courtesy of the Kehoe family and will be available for download shortly. If possible, we'll also try and produce something that can be used as a poster. Offers of help will be greatly appreciated...

2. The date for the Blackout is the 16th Nov and i think its a bit pointless handing out Flyers on that day becaouse everyone will be shopping etc. and not take much notice of a Flyer that tells then they aught to try comply with something that should happen on that day without Prior notification.

The flyer(s) handed out on the 16th of November will be different to the flyers/posters we'll be making available now.

3. I dont care if this offends anyone but MORE information is needed by everyone that is going to.... or trying to be involved. A simple once off post that makes a statement and then does not follow through on it will not do.

It offends me. I've put a lot of work into the website and the press release. Just this evening I added four more comprehensive pages to the website, plus an email handler, and handled the sending out of the press release. Furthermore, this is not a "simple once-off post" - I posted the date several days ago, the website today, and the press release a short time ago. I've elicited feedback in all three.

Its late 3:44am and im tired. I have watched and waited for what seemed like ages and all i hear is a single dog bark that has no teeth. Come on ye guys .... give us something to work on ok.

Thanks for the vote of confidence MS. Nice way to encourage the new users we're hoping to bring onto the forums in the coming days. I only hope your negativity isn't representative of the community support we're trying to garner.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Well, word is getting around, thanks to our PR machine. The Register have mention of it at http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/22697.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by MS

Bard what i ment by my post was that i was suprised to see soo many people had read it (108) without comment.

I knew that. My point was that just because you read something doesn't mean you have to comment. An announcement, by it's very nature, is there to impart information, and not necessarily to spark a debate.

As for the rest of your post... pfft.... :rolleyes: - please stay on topic.

- and you didn't get up my nose, actually... it would take far more than an unhelpful and argumentative poster on a web forum to do that. If you suspect that I'm "picking on you"... you couldn't be more wrong. If I actually wanted to "pick on you", you wouldn't have access to this forum, plain and simple.

Now --- let this particular discussion die, and try to stay on topic and be more constructive.

Thanks once again Dahamsta,

This is exactly the sorth of information i was looking for.
    A flyer (or flyers) is being prepared courtesy of the Kehoe family and will be available for download shortly. If possible, we'll also try and produce something that can be used as a poster. Offers of help will be greatly appreciated...
    The flyer(s) handed out on the 16th of November will be different to the flyers/posters we'll be making available now.

Origionally posted by Dahamsta
    It offends me. I've put a lot of work into the website and the press release. Just this evening I added four more comprehensive pages to the website, plus an email handler, and handled the sending out of the press release. Furthermore, this is not a "simple once-off post" - I posted the date several days ago, the website today, and the press release a short time ago. I've elicited feedback in all three.

No one is in any doubt of the massive amount of work you (and a lot of others) are putting into all this Dahamsta and it might not sound like i appreciate it, but u will have to trust me on this i actually do and lot more than u think. I have a lot of friends that dont use these BB's and i take almost all the inforamtion u supply and email it to them. Is there by any chance some way that a Weekly email could be done out by IOFFL telling everyone what has and needs to be done?. I have already offered to assist with Flyers in a previous post and i just see now that E has answered it today.

Again many thanks for the info.

Regards,

MS

• Advertisement
Advertisement