Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 modems and 2 pcs

• 02-05-2000 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭

is there any way to cnnect together two pcs just using modems and cable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Karla

not sure about using two modems, but you can get what's called a null modem, which is just a cable with a little thingy, and use that to connect two PC's.
    You should be able to pick one up for about £10 or thereabouts.

Why not just buy two network cards and some cable? You could buy the lot for about £40 and have your network going in minutes, much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

If you are connectiong, via a phone line then obviously modem is way to go.. sorry that was obvious i know.
    otherwise, you can actually take the cable that u use to plug ur modem into the back of ur pc, hoping on of them is external and use that to connect the two machine via their serial ports. There is also a program in windwos called

direct cable connection, which using it u can actually get a tcp /ip network going !
    tis ok for games but ****ty for files and everything else really. U would be better off going for a network.. they are as cheap as **** these days !

Gav
    if ur doing DCC though, and have any probs gimme and email and i'll try to help !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

DCC is a SON of a BIYATCH!!!!! But it's the cheapest way.

I third the network motion. Two 10base2 cards and a slap of co-ax and your dancing.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭*Rebel*

for some reason my network completely flopped...it just did'nt work! auld fella thinks cable was wired wrong...

-*Rebel*

Why watch Wimbledon when you can watch Drumcree instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Karla

Here's a few Network troubleshooting tips for ya:

If you're using co-ax then make sure there's a terminater at each end of the bus. Make sure it's the correct resistance too.

Give each machine an IP addy, I use 172.16.0.x

To see if it's working use 'ping':
    ping 172.16.0.1

Make sure both PC's have the exact same setup in Network Neighbourhood Properties.

Make sure that they both use the same Primary Logon, Client for Microsoft Networks.

If you want to share files and printers make sure you've got them checked in the File and Print Sharing dialogue.

If you're using Cat 5 cable, make sure the colors of the threads are in the same order on both ends of the cable.

This is about all you really need to get going, the first time is the hardest, it's a breeze after that smile.gif

Karla

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

lo dave,
    ive got at least i spare 10meg isa card at home, fitz prob has a cuple too, ya could use that possibly ..

c22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

Dave,

you do post some silly stuff smile.gif..

what u want right, is 2 network cards and a crossover cable. i think i`ve a network card floatin around the gaff, if not i can get um easily enough and i`ll either give u my crossover cable or make u a new one in work.

I`ve a lovely 50foot one too smile.gif..

and to think u have a degree!! did u not learn anything in networks!!! smile.gif

gis a bell, exams are over the 20th, and i'm not off to the states till the 12th, sure u can barrow my network card for the summer smile.gif.

later,

Ro

Advertisement