Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What game to chose?

Options
  • 31-10-2001 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

i am a tight miserly git and therefore I want to spend my money wisely. The last game that I bought was Operation FLashpoint and it is good but too slow. Maybe i need a change of game type.

I now need suggestions of games out there that are must have's.

Games like the halflife/quake of yesteryear.

help save me some hard earned cash

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

The two best new games I've played since Half Life would have to be Deus Ex and Max Payne.

However, since money is clearly an issue, the two best old games on budget release I've played and finished receltly are Grim Fandango and Thief II. Both fantastic and around £12-£15.

Hard to go wrong with any of those classsics.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Theif2 would be very good,but it is EXTREMELY hard later on,im stuck on the 10th level or so :(
    If you like RTS's Age of Empires2 would go down well.
    For an FPS unreal tornement would be a 10er well spent,but max payne would be better if ure willing to fork out £20 or so.
    If you want an RPG you cant go far wrong with the final fantasy series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

i said that i was a tight cu/\t but i am willing to spend 30-40 quid on a game. the reason i am putting out this post is that i do not want to spend money on a really crap game. this is what i usually do and i am fed up with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Too true

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Get a Ps2 , Get GTA3 , it will do you for years :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by draffodx
    Get a Ps2 , Get GTA3 , it will do you for years :)
    buy a PS1,get GTA2..its the same game without the fancy graphics :p

ok maybe you guys cannot read, but i said i was willing to spent 40 quid not 300 to get ps2 or 120 to get ps one with game

idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I'll give u a game so.

Civ 3 out in early November. (October in States).
    Easy 2 play. Hard 2 master.

Dunno if youre into strategy games, but it will be worth you hard earned smackers.

X

sounds good as i got seriously addicted to CIV 2, days without food and all that.

Anyway i took a mates advice and got red faction, not a bad game, not great but it is nice to shoot people again unlike operation flashpoint, which seems to be about people shooting you.

I could do with some more quality titles though as i have recently got more time to spend at my pc

and thank you exterminator for a proper reply

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Oh you were serious!

Well Pc games have been a bit lame and over hyped a bit lately IMO,Max Payne is way over rated for a pretty normal 3rd person shooter with fancy graphics!

Red Faction is good for a laugh, I wouldnt buy it though.
    Should have got Serious Sam, I think you could get it cheap now,For the future keep your money for Resturn To Castle Wolfenstein or Medal Of Honour:allied assualt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

The following games are really good, and should be available cheaply: (each in itself reason enough for owning a PC - imho)

Deus-Ex - best single player experience for me
    Half Life - you proboably know about this......
    Thief 1 & 2 - A whole new slant, but kinda tough.
    System Shock 2 - amazing
    Alien Vs. Predator 1 - **** your pants brilliant.

I think Max Payne is WAY overrated - it is fscking crap in many respects. Call me weird, but the gfx do not impress me (and i have a machine well capable of full gfx on it too). A waste of 40 quid considering 2 or 3 of the above games could almost be had for almost the same price.

Going by word of mouth alone does not gaurantee you will be buying a good game,
    I have highly recommended Supreme Snowboarding to friends and they have hated it. Mags like PC Zone and Gamer give u a very good impression of what you will be buying and the demos are quite good too.

Happy Hunting!

P.S. If you dont like first person shooters you shouldn't have bought a PC!

Originally posted by saik
    P.S. If you dont like first person shooters you shouldn't have bought a PC!
    Mostly true.....but the PC is also the master of the RTS :)
    But saik..ive played all them games and they all fucking 0wn me :)
    Only buy thief if you REALLY want a challenge...ure definately gonna get it here as its bloody impossable after the 10th level or so.
    AvP is very fun and origional to play and gets very hard later on,its cool fun crawling along the walls and biting an un-suspecting marines head of aswell :)
    And max Payne was only as highly rated as it was because of bullet time,it will revolutionise future FPS's but the game it self gets tedious and nothing is diffrent between the start and mid way.I got bored in the warehouse area and just stopped playing it.No multi player makes it lack a long life span,but that may change..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Pug, Thief isn't impossible - just very, very hard. :)

On the subject of Max Payne; personally, I loved it. I thought that it was achingly beautiful in parts. Bullet time was f***ing cool. John Woo knows it and so do I. The gameplay got a little samey in parts but hey, that's true of most games. Personally I don't understand all the flak it's getting from some gamers. I think that it's an absolute classic and the best PC shooter since Deus Ex. Yes it's short but it's high quality throughout. Better that than 900 levels of "Generic Shooter IV".

Just my 2p of course.

K

Advertisement