Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the ultimate high tech question

• 08-05-2000 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

Should I put a big blob of solder on my speaker?

The swicth is boken so I'm thinking if I put a big blob of solder on it, the contact will be made and i can plug them in and out.

I tried asking around town if ne1 could fix it - didn't even bother bringing the speakers with me. Same story everywhere - we can't do that but we can sell u these ones cheap.

I know I'm being a tightwad but I don't want to throw out a perfectly good set of speakers just cos the switch is broken.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

hehehe, sounds familiar...
    I once solderd a broken (in to three pieces) circuitboard together just by soldering the little metal strips. smile.gif
    And it worked nicely.

It's hard to say, as to wether you should solder your speaker-switch.
    It realy depends on the kind of metal you're soldering on to, generaly thick chunky connectors will be ok, but if it's a weedy thin little wire or connector, then the heat might kill it and any surrounding circutry.

Realy though, it's your call, if you recon it's safe....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well, its like this, there will be 220 volts going through the bit of solder. I think a better option would be to pull the cable out of the speaker and put a switch on it. Make sure and insulate it though.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Lump m'boy please never play with daddy's toys.... smile.gif

The PSU/transformer for the speakers steps the voltage down, to more like 9-12v.

You've nothing to lose......
    Bzzzt..Bzzzzztt...Oops.

Advertisement