Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Games Controller

Options
  • 31-10-2001 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, we've all used various devices to satisfy our gaming urges. But which one has been the most pleasurable?

Suggested by the wonderful Dead{o}Santa
    Why not suggest your own poll?

What's the best game controller? 41 votes

Keyboard/mouse
    0% 0 votes
    3rd Party PC/Mac controller
    53% 22 votes
    Supernes/Famicom gamepad
    0% 0 votes
    Nintendo 64 gamepad
    4% 2 votes
    3rd party Amiga/Atari ST controller
    17% 7 votes
    Megadrive/Genesis gamepad
    2% 1 vote
    Saturn Gamepad
    0% 0 votes
    Dreamcast
    0% 0 votes
    Playstation 1/2
    4% 2 votes
    Other/Atari Jaguar
    17% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

I couldnt contemplate using anything other than the keyboard/mouse combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

every1 knows that keyboard + mouse is the ultimate,they shouldnt really be there cos you know they'll win by miles.
    It should have ben console controllers only,see what every1 thinks of them.
    ps: N64 controller 0wnz :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

BOOO!! NOO!!
    I mean console controlers... everyone knows the mouse + keybo' are unbeatable for 1st person shooters, RTS games and so on.
    Then you've got your MS Sidewinder for your flying games and so on...
    But out of pure comfort levels, and looks... what's your faverite controller for - say... tekken? street fighter 2? resident evil? ... the pad you could use for 10 hours straight without getting a cramp (ok that sounded suspiciously like a tampon commercial).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Jabba_the_SLUT

i agree with pugsley. the poll shudve been just console controllers.

N64 one rulez! ('cept 4 the keyboards/ mouse combo obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

zipstik.gif
    the amiga zip stik. pure ownage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

id have to pump for a dual shock controller when playin football games and in the new iss pro game you can use the 2nd analogue stick to control shot/pass height and curve

oh yeah and its got 2 big chunky analogue sticks for my fat thumbs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Bah! I'd have got complaints if I hadn't included keyboard/mouse combo. Basically I picked what I thought were the most commonly used controllers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Not including the mouse and keyboard which shouldnt really count, I'd go for the N64 controller.

Ok, a lot of people complaining about keyboard/mouse being included. There's is hardly any game that cannot be played with a keyboard/mouse on most platforms. The Playstation and Dreamcast have them as did the Spectrum, Comodore, Amiga and Atari ST before. Just because they were never originally designed to be for games doesn't mean they don't count.

However I will change the poll suggestion post to include better guidelines about such suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

The nearly being beat em ups..keyboard + mouse r miserable for them. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

****!?! I cant believed I missed Keyboard/Mouse

Erase 1 from N64 and +1 in KB/Mouse

jag_cont.gif

vboy.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

pants.jpg

that thing sucked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Firefox

Ahhh....Yes....the one I loved most was the old Atari Stick we had back in the 80's.....the one with the big orange fire button.

Many an Atari Joystick was broken when playing Daly Thompson Decathlon.......Memories........

But seriously I think most controlers are nasty for long durations of play. The Playstation 1/2 and Dreamcast Controlers are complete dogs and allways gave cramps after long periods of play. (Ahem....):p

tony hawks 2 gave me finger cramps ...
    bad dreamcast !

TigerLCD.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Hand-held joystick for all your waggling delights. Hardcore.

That chunky clunky orange buttons+stick, massive clear acrylic base joystick for the Amiga ruled aswell. Just in case you broke one button there was another two to back you up. Of course, ppl just hit all three at once.

on a sloightly different note the Mega Drive controller had one plus in relation to Sonic's Spin-ups.
    To get one going really qucikly withn out breaking my thumb joints through RSI I would sear the flesh from my thumb by running it back and forwards really quickly across ALL THREE BUTTONS AT ONCE whilst holding Down on the D-pad. Got sonic from 0-60 in 2.3 seconds. :)

Also, is the 'D' in 'D-Pad' for Digital or Directional? I've been having a long-standing argument with a friend over this for some time, and even through the blinding forcce of the proceeding logic he won't buckle to my over-bearing wisdom.
    I reckon it's directional cos most of the D-Pads before the PSX/N64 were microswitched analogue types. Case and Point.

I always thought the D was cos they were shaped like a D, sortof.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

It stands for Directional if I recollect correctly.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

As DBC said.. the Zip Stick was just the best thing you could have. Ah the memories... SWOS et all...

On the PC, i use the MS Sidewinder Joypad (10 button) the old style one... not the crappy lightweight USB one they have out now. Great crack..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

i rember burning my two thumbs over killer instect on the n64 pad that game fcuking owned but it was a bitch on the thumbs

Advertisement