Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP : dont rush in :P

• 31-10-2001 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭

Before anyone foolishly rushes out and installs this overhyped pice of cr@p let em warn you why Im regretting it:

1. MSN Messenger on XP will not do voice with Windwows 98 untill an update is released "newer voice technology"
    (altho voice with net meeting and 98 and xp are OK)

2. Remote desktop support with Netmeeting and 98 doesnt work, no explanation for why i can no longer see desktop of remote client after upgrading.

3. My USB cameras dont work, no driver support.

4. My cd burner software no longer works, fix is to buy newer software.

5. Norton AV 2000 is no good now, 2001 needs a patch, they want you to buy 2002.

Other than that I find it cool, i just wished i waited 3 months or more to jump in...anyone else know of anymore problems?

Now where is that button to go back to 2000?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Fix the burner issue with updated ASPI drivers
    Force ASPI works fine with WinXP (Windows XP), Microsoft's latest operating system.

1 out of 5 aint good but its a start :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Originally posted by yankinlk
    Before anyone foolishly rushes out and installs this overhyped pice of cr@p let em warn you why Im regretting it:

1. MSN Messenger on XP will not do voice with Windwows 98 untill an update is released "newer voice technology"
    (altho voice with net meeting and 98 and xp are OK)
    Windows 98 is not something Microsoft want you to bother with ever on any machine every again because.....

2. Remote desktop support with Netmeeting and 98 doesnt work, no explanation for why i can no longer see desktop of remote client after upgrading.

You should only use XP for personal use, XP in the office for work, and everyone should use XP. That'll solve the problem.

3. My USB cameras dont work, no driver support.
    4. My cd burner software no longer works, fix is to buy newer software.
    Again, XP includes CD burning software. Why would you want to use another companies product?

---

OK I'll stop being irritating now, but that really is the way MS want people to think from now on. They would rather everyone rushes out and buys XP everywhere all at once....

Separately, I have heard of problems with the Audigy drivers, and I also read on HardOCP that Creative are saying you need to PAY to get a CD of the drivers (not download).

XP looked tempting until I heard of the driver trouble (and the driver signing which I don't like - I prefer getting drivers from the manufacturer, and not waiting, e.g., for NVidia's drivers to be "approved" by Microsoft).

Also, the Passport thing I heard pops up 5 times.

I am hoping that the 98lite guys make some way of getting a lean version of XP installed (without the CD burning, Media-crap).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

what about the fabled XP PRO does it exist,

i hear its meant to be the new NT?

and as the song goes only fools rush in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

For Messenger, maybe try uninstalling it and loading the older version? Haven't tried it meself though:

2.) Uninstall unwanted components
    It seems that some components in Windows XP can't be uninstalled. Well... they can. Use this trick to uninstall MSN Messenger, MSN Explorer and Microsoft Games.
    First, make a copy of sysoc.inf (found on the hard disk at \winnt\inf\sysoc.inf) before proceeding so that you can restore the initial configuration if necessary. Give the copy a different name, such as sysoc2.inf.
    Open the Sysoc.inf file. Each line of text in the file represents a component that can be displayed in the Add/Remove Windows Components dialog.
    Delete the word HIDE for any component that you want to see in the dialog (do not erase the commas).
    Save the Sysoc.inf file, then close it, and reboot your computer.
    The Add/Remove Windows Components dialog will now display the items you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Cd burning: use Nero or Fireburner - both work

Antivirus - yup, you'll need Norton 2002 (works for me)

• Advertisement
Advertisement