Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobo Issues...

Options
  • 01-11-2001 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

I think this is the right board :)

Having some problems with a motherboard, and it seems like
    it's ****ed, but in case anybody knows elsewise.

Slot 1 motherboard (Microstar MS6147) 100Mhz bus.
    (http://support.tangent.com/hardware/motherboard/mbx-009.htm)

Onboard ATI Rage Pro AGP, and soundcard (see spec).
    Using a P3 500 chip(100Mhz bus), 256Mb pc133 SDRAM.
    Assembled the lot. Tried to boot, nothing appears on
    monitor. Power switch works, Power LED operates.
    Power supply is okay, as drives are spinning up alright.

Double checked the multiplier settings (*5 = 500). Tested
    CPU in another machine, that's fine. Tested P350 CPU on
    my machine, still nothing. Tried RAM in another machine,
    that's fine. Tried some pc100 RAM in my machine,
    no difference. Speaker doesn't seem to work so I can't hear any
    BIOS beeps. Cleared BIOS, just in case, no joy.
    Disabled on board graphics card, and tried add in PCI card,
    in case the graphics card was b0rked. Still no difference.

Sounds like the thing is broken, or have I forgotten
    something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

perhaps a silly question but have you tried a diff monitor on the setup that you have ?

i tried a 17" monitor on 3fx card and no joy. 15" monitor worked fine

i say get onto the suppliers and ask em !

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

Yeah, tried a different monitor, w/both gfx cards.

board's long past warranty :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

best bet is to check that voltage is actually gettin to card. got a voltmeter handy ? ;)

send her into a pc repair place

or if pride is too big bite the bullet and get a diff board :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Belgario

Hi,

Try this:

1. Disconnect all IDE/floppy cables from the motherboard. Remove all PCI cards. Just try the integrated video for now. Disconnect the power from all the drives

2. Try powering up the system. If there is no response, try clearing the CMOS.

3. Still no response then check to make sure the motherboard isn't shorting off the case. Is it possible for you to take it out and test it on an anti-static mat ?

Hope this helps.

Belgario

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

bios beeps dont come through speakers.
    at that stage theres no operating system for em to work.
    theres usually an inbuilt speaker in the case or the mobo
    as above pull everything out and rebuild.
    all you need for a post to work is to have mobo, ram, cpu and graphics card.
    if it doesnt work like that, and youve tried the other 3 in a another system, then the bet is your mobo is dust.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

just a little addition to WhitewashMan's post...

Make SURE your PC-Speaker is properly connected to yer mobo so you can hear the beeps !

Ba$tard

No luck. Tried all those suggestions, even taking the board out of the case on the offchance the case was shorting the board. Strange though, it seems like the board it working. Power LED works, CPU fan works, and if I add a HD (even though it's no good for testing, I know) the HD light pops on for a second when I switch on/reset.

Yeah, there's an on board buzzer/speaker thing that hasn't made a peep since I got the board.

I think I'll just accept that the boards dead :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Belgario

I recently had difficulties using a Gateway PSU on a brand name motherboard (ABIT KG7-RAID). The PSU was a legitimate 350 W but everytime I tried to power up I would experience "similar " symptoms to your own. When I bought a new PSU the problem disappeared.

Its just a thought, if you can try a different PSU. I hate giving up on boards :P .

Ciao

Belgario

Yeah, I don't want to give up on it either, I haven't the finances at the minute for a new board :) I'll try and get another psu temporarily :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

get a plain old pc100 cl3 stick and try that instead, your board probably won't accept a double sided 256mb dimm/ it may need a bios flash in order to add better support for dimms, a lot of older boards will only accept single sided dimms up to 128/256 and double sided 128 but not 256, it could also be the fact that you are using pc133 with a 5x multiplier which would mean you are trying to overclock the cpu without even realising it, because the oc is too high in terms of fsb the ram can't handle it so you get no post, reset your cmos with the jumper on the motherboard and try power on with pc100 stick and it'll probably work fine, unless of course it was working before you put the pc133 stick in, sorry if this is all rubbish but I'm too lazy and busy to read the post properly :p

• Advertisement

Can't flash the bios if I can't boot. I tried a 128Mb pc100 dimm,
    and also tried a different PSU. Still no luck 8( ...
    Board must be b0rked.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I forget if it just works on AT boards or ATX, or both, but if even one LED, switch etc. isn't connected properly the board won't boot. I've a feeling this is especially true for ATX boards.
    Take your time plugging them in.

Also, on a lighter note; mounting the mobo on the wall in a frame could be percieved as you having some artful taste in your post-modernistic expressionism of the transitional nature of technology, and hence, the world around us.
    Say you bought if it Sotherby's for a cool £5600

Will double check, thanks.

Now to return my post modernistic art to it's seller 8)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Syxpak, thats not true in my experience. Once the power switch is connected up, and in this case it seems to be, the machine should work away fine. I've never heard of a board which actually needed all the rest of the stuff connected up to boot up.

I'd say the board is just wrecked.

Coulda sworn i read someone on the tech boards saying that either AT or ATX baords need a current to pass through the HDD and Power LEDs to boot.
    That coupled with my underlying theory(garnered from that phantom post) suggested to me that it was a 'feature' (like MS's Blue-Screen-'O-Death 'Feature' in Win ;p) of the ATX boards, ensuring that the board wouldn't boot unless correctly wired up, or something.

Nearly sure...........

Possibly one of the lower tech akolytes who posted it.....

/me looks perplexed, confused and remarkably like an armadillo....
    Huzzuh?

Not worthy of another thread. I seem to have a b0rked hdd on my hands.
    When i got to format it with the win98SE bootdisk it gets to about ~47% and starts 'Trying to recover something something 134,356'
    Takes bloody ages. Stops at about 134,480ish.
    Yes, it's a maxtor, 1.3GB, I know it wasn't used much. Also have a 1GB maxtor, Know it was used a hell of a lot more. Going grand.
    Have low-level formatted the 1.3GB, went fine, ran tests, fialed the advanced one approximately halfway through the test.
    Funny thing is, I have Win98SE runnning on it during the LAN, though the full install on Half-life + CS + DoD would never finish loading. => the drive's b0rked beyond repair.
    [sic]
    But wait! All's not lost! I can use this decrepit piece of techno-trash to fascinate my younger siblings, relations and local kids as i whipp off the top cover and reveal the previously-hermettically sealed innards! What joy!

[/sic]

Again, appologies for butting in on your post Static :)

Advertisement