Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attaching fans

• 03-05-2000 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

Attach them to a spare connector that you would normally connect a hard drive or cdrom to. I think the yellow black side gives you 5 volts and the red black side gives you 12 volts. The third prong on the fan is for RPM monitoring by the motherboard which isnt needed, they either spin or they don't smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ok, i have one big fan and 2 little processor/videao card type fans.
    the only problem is i dont seem to have any things to stick em into on the mother board

i think all three are 3 prong plugs.
    is there any way to power them if i cant find any of the plugs on the system board. can splice n dice and stuff and is it ok or dod***..
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

You should be able to get a little wire that will convert the big power cables, (eg, HD power cable) into the wee little fan power cables.
    I've got one in my own system, but it's hardwired to the CPU fan.
    But I recon you could get one at Peats, they have loads of wicc'uw wires like that.

na, i just chopped offa the ends and shoved them into a spare power plug and sticky taped em all together and overclockd me voodo3 to 200mgz smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

...and then my house went on fire.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

... which was nice
    wink.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

WHY THE HELL DO PEOPLE HAVE AN OBESSION WITH OVER CLOCKING THINGS

My friend bought an 800Mhz machine and 5 days after buying it he Is overclocking it to 900mhz. Same with the 64Mb 133mhz GEforce he's over clocking it to 200 Mhz, at least you have the sense to slap in a fan or two. He isn't even doing that. I hope It melts.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Couldn't agree more, Lump. Overclocking is for w@nkers. 500 Mhz is quite fast enough for me - don't want to have to put my PC in the fridge so I can get 502 Mhz.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

All that over clocking cr@p is for them nurds that also use the start, then run box to open their internet pages.

Solution:A few rapid kix 2 de face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

Lads I don't think it's necessarily a geek thing, more of a male thing, if you got a car/puter you naturally wanna get more juice out of it, more power/speed. So overclockin may be the geek penis extention, the old I'm happy with my 500mhz doesn't do it for me, it comes from the same camp as " but why do you need your car to go faster then 70 mph" shyeah right fook that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yes castor troy, the only way to truly overclock your pc is to put it in a fridge. I wasnt brave enough for that so I just put a big fan on the cpu and overclocked it from 600 to 900. Saved quite a bit of money and/or got a much faster machine for free. Thats fairly stupid alright. Hyperbole is the best way of showing people how intelligent you are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

My top 5 reasons for overclocking.

5. I had a load of spare fans.
    4. I got sent an extra coolermaster by mistake.
    3. It makes a statement against the cpu makers scam of selling the same processor at different prices.
    2. 600 is a rounder number and has less syllibles than 550.

And my top reason for overclocking my PC:

1. Because I can.

BOYAKASHA!!!!!

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

Thats excatly what my friend says..................... " Because I can"

Dick Head.

John

Why so upset about overclocking? Were you overclocked as a child? Did your parents make you run faster than you thought you should?

Besides, the argument that "why would you want to go that fast?" is just plain stupid. Anybody here still use a 486? I mean you could still (just about) play quake on it and access the internet. But you don't because it's too fupping slow.

The cpu you now own is obsolete. It's value drops daily. Why not make a few minor modifications and get the most of it?

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 06-05-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

haha

Yes but you can play anything on A 800 Mhz, 100 Mhz upgrade isnt going to make ne difference when your in that class of a computer.

:P

John

actually, i only overclocked my voodoo card because i had the fans and secondly because i have a little overclocking program for the voodoo card by which i move a small slider bar and it automatically over clocks it.
    like, its not rocket science!
    let anyone else (apart from castor, but only coz i know him better) tell me that if it was that easy that you wouldnt do it????
    gwan, i dare you......

Just to re-iterate my point. I paid £450 (sterling and without vat) for a "Today special" on my Athlon K7 550 and asus m/b 6 months ago from Scan.

If I still had £450 today I could buy virtually the same proccessor and m/b combo only difference being that AMD have officially clocked it to 850 mhz. Sure, I've clocked mine to just 50mhz more, but with a little more tinkering I can get it up to 750/800. The extra fans and stuff are there cos I'm taking the extremely cautious approach.

So when eventually (6 months time) there are games that require 600/700mhz what am I gonna do? Throw out my old processor? Fup that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

WWM, wtf are you doing o/cing ur V3 anyway, u crazy bwoy?! I stuck a fan on mine cos I was worried about it being too hot to touch at normal speed...

(Any chance of a link to that o/c prog? tongue.gif )

U & me baby ain't nothin but mammals, so lets do it like they do on the discovery channel...
    clanludo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Cheers biggrin.gif
    Dunno bout using it on my sys, but how and ever...

Advertisement