Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Datamonitor urges telcos to rollout ADSL

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The CNET/McKinsley articles are enlightening actually, in that they demonstrate the confusion out there. Just a few days ago, I posted links to articles saying that broadband service providers need to roll out new services to attract subscribers. According to CNET though, and the more (graphically) detailed McKinsley report, they don't, they just need to refocus. Having never used broadband, I can't say which is right, but I'm more inclined to the McKinsley notion, especially considering the fact that they provided hard data to back it up.

Personally, I don't want all that much throughput (although I think I might want a little more than 3 gigs), I'm more interested in being able to hop onto my computer to ask Google a question immediately - and get results back quickly - or having my email delivered to my computer automatically.

It also begs the question - why aren't Eircom and Esat doing these kinds of surveys now? Surely now is a fantastic time to be doing market research? All I've got from Esat is a survey asking about existing narrowband technologies - wouldn't it be an idea to do one asking Irish people what they understand or don't understand about broadband? Wouldn't it raise awareness, and so pressure on Eircom and the government to get broadband rolled out?

Sometimes I wonder at Esat's committment. Is the status quo too comfortable for them? Do they not *want* to innovate? Seriously, that's a question.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Good going again adam...

Yeah, I do wonder about Esat too. Despite the fact that BT are in rag-order at the moment (but at least they ejected that Bonfield guy yesterday).

I'm thinking more lately about the big picture. I still believe broadband for all would definitely work for this country in many ways (for example, there is a move away from the influence of Nation States to that of 'Network' States, and this is an opportunity for Irish people to become a bigger force on the world stage than now)..

However, the IOffL movement is very technically driven. It's a bit like we're arguing for the M50 to be built in 1910, with most folks not yet really sold on the usefulness of cars. However, we will be proved right of course, but it seems the citizens of other countries are realising this sooner because they can see the tools (broadband etc) in reality..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 JamworkS

Having used ADSL before in Spain (256/128 @ IR£30.00/month no caps), I agree with many of what it's been said before. There's a lot of confusion out there, prior to order the installation.

The companys need to make a step forward, and clarify many of the aspects it has, like for example, like the time it takes to install at home, the material requiered (believe me, i didn't know i needed a network card, i thought it was like another modem you connect to the serial port), and MOS important, the services they offer (Broadband Internet, TV, Movies on Demand, ...).

There's too many things to remember for a normal person when trying to get information about it. They should make it simple.

Hopefully will get some broadband in the near future.

JamworkS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

"American company says that broadband is good".

Way da state the goddamn obvious.

What next, "American company says bigger roads will enable more cars to travel faster"?

Ho ho, my god are those articles funny.

-Son of Blam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Son of Blam
    "bigger roads will enable more cars to travel faster"?

-Son of Blam

Have you considered approaching any of the Government bodies with your idea? It's radical in the extreme but it just might work...

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Such a concept may work anywhere else in the world, but Ireland is unique I tell ya, so it would hardly work over here...

LOL, not without extensive "testing" anyway. We'll just have to build a wider road, and then get a select few people to "test" it for a few years.

Advertisement