Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublins 3 greatest bands

Options
  • 01-11-2001 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

were on int the isaac butt last night.
    we had rawkus indie riffs precisely executed to begin with,then ending on a beatufully titled song that is punkier than the safety pins in my nose and ear,with the bass A-string breaking ont he last note of the last song!extra rock points!
    then we had the most evil j!vers i've seen yet,giving me a neckache*from head banging*that i dont want to forget,with some especially evil riffs-
    most notably "in the garden" and (ESP!)"devils breath"-

finally we were treated with most hooking songs with most j!ving results,songs like*up the world*and *system of decay*.
    then in a celebration of the 'ween,proceeded to throw guitars at drummers,guitarISTS at drummers and so on...

any one agree when i say that dublins 3 best bands,and most likely to succeed are:
    Otranome
    Corrupted
    Popstar
    ?
    no-one affiliated with the bands should plug their own jive....unless they are obsolete!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Beany

OBSOLEEEEETE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Jim Daniels

Theres a band out there called Stoat who are amazing live.
    I've seen them 5 or 6 times, usually Eamonn Dorans. Highly original (even if they are influenced mainly by the Pixies) great vocals (clever and humourous), harmonies, guitars and an ace drummer.

So Stoat
    And two others..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tara

Might have to bare in mind bands like Bell X1, Brando, Wilt, Turn, Frames, National Prayer Breakfast. Haven't seen the bands that you mentioned, but there are a lot of goodies out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Release the hounds Smithers!!!

Gar Im sure I speak for all the lads in Otranome when I say your comments are more than generous ....

Im surprised at this stage that people aren't here cutting ya down and saying how crap the three bands mentioned are hahhaa anyway no worries I think all the bands are of good quality no doubt, so hopefully the gig will encourage people to go along again, we'll see......it was a good night for Otranome, a good night for Gigsmart ......and a goodnight for the scene in general..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭mixer007

Are you saying that Obsolete indulge in Shameless self promotion??? Are we not included cause we're cultchies??
    Have only heard Otranome out of the bands named and must say I was impressed when they played with us (not that way) in the Stables in Mullingar.

So, can we be one of the best bands in the midlands??

Shameless self promotion bit.
    Obsolete will be playing MONO of Wexford Street next Thursday 8th November. We know this clashes with Phantasm, but we'll finish up early so you can all pop into Whelans. We will have Phantasm flyers available.

So, Mono, Wexford Street. 3 bands, Obsolete, Presence and Divebomb. £3 students, £4 flyer (available on www.obsoletemusic.com), £5 otherwise.
    Vodka and Redbull £2.50

This gig is brought to you by GigSmart.

Mixer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

well if obselete aren't from dublin they can't one of Dublin's top 3 bands, can they ?

Thin Lizzy are number one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

i wanna be sedated:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

yah,actuaaaaallleee,that is SO true,loike i was telling Shawn the other day,loike he's my rawkus mate,loike,he totchally wears stuff that is SOOOO in "the scene"now,loike,but ya,ya;double bass pedals,loike,how passe,oi mean,COME ON GUYZ!
    must go,yah,cos ,you know,daddy's chauffeur is ,loike,dropping me off at the central bank,loike.

i cant imagine you've much of an idea of how difficult it is to play the music corrupted play,and as for the bloooming clever songs Popstar write,well,they speak for themselves-BRILLO!

come on,TMD,how can you call double bass pedals "out of time"
    this is proper,music,not friggin fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭kranog

Here Here !!!
    If Dave (popstar singer) is James Hetfield, do I have to be Kirk, coz I'd rather be a dancing taxidermist you know !!!
    Like what you wanna like, hate what you wanna hate, that's what I say !!!
    What do you listen to then Tell Me Dillion ???
    Thanx for the vote of confidence lads, see you all on Sunday......hmm, we probably should've arranged a bigger venue !!! *LOL*
    Peace,
    kranog

http://popstar.2ya.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭dobdobdo

1. U2
    2. Thin Lizzy
    3. ASLAN
    :)

• Advertisement

Surely the Frames should be mentioned.
    1. Thin Lizzy
    2. The Frames
    3. ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Dilner

How about Pugwash? Great songs........

JJ72??????? Quite possibly the best Irish band since Thin Lizzy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ste k

JJ#### my arse best band since Lizzy.

In all fairness they kicked everyones ass that were about dublin in the 70's and would now.

We are really lacking a ground breaking act that could have huge implications on the world map of music. Unfortunatly everyone starts talking about Irish bands with "well they sort of sound like ehh........"

Either the irish public arnet educated enough or the musicians. Well i dont know anyway sure im not evena musician, i play the drums.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by Ste k

Well i dont know anyway sure im not evena musician, i play the drums.

Oi!!! No... I'm a drummer too. Ye don't go around telling people we're not musicians :)
    You'll give us away! Seriously though... drummers are musicians.
    Best Irish bands.....

U2
    Thin Lizzy
    Can't think of anyone else good!!

JJ72!!!!

and im not trying to be ironic

they really are THAT good

So, the whole of Ireland is now included. Well then, obviously there's the Jangleberries and the Corrs and now we can include Westlife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭the_corpo

i'm curious to know what you folks think of the *other* scene in dublin. there's such a huge network of great bands you lot never seem to mention who've been having such a fantastic year. never before have i seen so many records released by local talent, and by and large they've all been excellent. the standards are so so much higher than they have been for years. i'm talking about fellas like the redneck manifesto, joan of arse, connect 4 orchestra, steve fanagan, the jimmy cake, coldspoon conspiracy, and others. they often put on dead cheap gigs thanks to the likes of 'the kids'.
    you should come along sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

"redneck manifesto, joan of arse, connect 4 orchestra, steve fanagan, the jimmy cake, coldspoon conspiracy, and others" and don't forget the Dudley Corporation, what ?

I like those bands, yet to make my mind up about Steve Fanagan - haven't heard enough of him. Out of them I've only heard JOA and Connect 4 Orchestra on phantom but I listen to X too....now I'm rambling....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Eyeliner__Boy
    JJ72!!!!

and im not trying to be ironic

they really are THAT good

Omg ssh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭p-t saviour

The Murder of Crows , I hate to have to mention my own band here... it pisses me off every second we're not gigging, you just wait! anyhoo to hear us, just request us, the cds'll be in road records in aboot a week... has anyone heard any of our stuff yet?!?!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

i'm not talking the bigger bands,just the small bands on the small circuit.

not that too many people here can talk bout the small circuit,cos we're all a bit lazy and have'nt seen that many bands.
    me included

saw a band on grafton street - the fluid druids-
    it was like a more skillful strokes -stylee band
    got their phone number

but no,this is only about the small bands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

heres a few more dont know what catagory they would fall into though.....
    Blink-Sundogs-Kosha-Marvine-46long-

as far as best bands EH-VAAAAAAAA form dublin what about Whipping Boy? The Steampig? Mexican Pets?

JJ72 me arse.........:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭indie_chick

bellx1 - slowset :)
    eh snowpatrol
    JIMMY EAT WORLD.........well yah there are a lot more.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by indie_chick
    Snowpatrol
    Jimmy Eat World

Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭screamager

ive seen corrupted a few times, pretty good. popstar arent too bad either. anyone remember red clown? they were deadly. ive heard murder of crows, they do actually rock but eh...sean, u might wanna stop talkin yourselves up and let the people decide themselves. best ive seen in a long time for heavier stuff though are dyslogic, seen them a few times and they ****in rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hey All,

Stop this personal bickering here. Otherwise, thread gets deleted. God invented Bike sheds so you could fight behind them. In the meantime, keep it off the board.

And of course, theres no contest about Dublins 3 best bands ever:
    1. The Blades
    2. Thin Lizzy
    3. The Radiators

Special mention to:

The Frames, The Stars of Heaven, The Atrix, Boomtown Rats....

Regards,

Pete Reed

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

i think that melaton are pretty cool. love that free CD its so cool. Its kinda annoyin bein too young to go to any of their gigs. Damn the law!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

no mention of My Bloody Valentine?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭indie_chick

well bellx1 bellx1 bellx1 KKKKKKKKKKKKK?

oh and ptc :)

Advertisement