Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geeks: help, what do all these numbers mean?

• 01-11-2001 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

Someone's trying to sell me this monitor. Is it a goodie, or an okay-ey?

LG LOGIX LGX154 LCD MONITOR

Specifications....
    15” TFT Active Matrix Flat Panel Display
    High Resolution 1024 x 768
    High Brightness and Contrast
    Display Colour – 16.7m
    Frame Frequency – 56 – 75hz
    Intelligent On Screen Display Menu
    One Touch Auto Adjustment
    Pixel Pitch – 0.297mm(H) x 0.297mm(v)
    Glass Surface – Anti glare, Hard Coat
    Viewable Angle – L/R : 60 Deg, UD : 35Deg/55Deg
    Plug and Play
    Weight 2.7G
    3 Years ON-SITE Warranty

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

IANAG (IAAN), but it's an LCD monitor, which is one of those flat-screen thingies you've prolly seen in Nethouse, Ulster Bank, or somewhere like that. They're pretty good, but are not exactly the same as a monitor: more expensive, take up less room (that's "footprint" in monitor-speek), also have the same faults as laptop screens in that they're fine viewed from straight-on, but when viewed from an angle they're not as easy to read.

Specifically:

TFT Active is the current standard, you don't want passive

15" is pretty standard size for these guys

1024 is not bad, you probably won't be needing to go higher. (btw I'm not sure if these lcds have the same problems with fonts & widgets appearing crap if they're not set to the same exact res required).

What price they asking?

So, decide: what do you need, and come back for more info if necessary.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

I want a flat screen ok, can't stand all that loooooming that you get from a huge scary monitor - but I thought modern flat screens were ok to read from the side as well as head-on?

Oh, they want 300 quid in play-money - sterling, that is.

Yeah, they're not bad.. that one there says 60 degrees distance, so should be fine. Best thing to do is try one out somewhere, and see if you're comfortable with it.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Originally posted by Fand
    I want a flat screen ok, can't stand all that loooooming that you get from a huge scary monitor - but I thought modern flat screens were ok to read from the side as well as head-on?

You just posted the viewable angles! You can read side-to-side for 60degrees and up-to-down for 35degrees.

What sort of weight measurement is a "G" by the way?

AFAIK dot-pitch (or pixel-pitch) refers to the space between pixels on the screen. Obviously lower is better. Think this monitor is .27 - you should check around online and see if the specs compare well with the other flatscreens on the market at the moment.

The frequency isn't great. 75Hz is pretty much the lowest I can stand looking at for a long time.

• Advertisement

Mm. Can't do dat, unfortunately, unless I can beam myself over to Birmingham or wherever it is they're selling them.

Originally posted by beaver

What sort of weight measurement is a "G" by the way?

The frequency isn't great. 75Hz is pretty much the lowest I can stand looking at for a long time.

Hmm, maybe G is grams?

To the issue of frequency: LCD is much easier on the eye, so won't cause the same problem as a monitor (I'd even go higher: I don't like my monitor at less than 85Hz). My laptop is at 60-something and that's fine, never tires or gives headaches.

Al.

I assume a g is a gramme. As for "you just posted the viewable angles" - well, where does it tell you what they are? I mean, "Viewable Angle – L/R : 60 Deg, UD : 35Deg/55Deg" - well, now that it's explained I understand it, but whoo-ee, I don't understand numbers, they frighten me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

So this thing weighs 2.7 grammes? That's a very light monitor, indeed.

Shorthand for gramme is a small "g", not "G".

Weird.

Originally posted by beaver
    So this thing weighs 2.7 grammes? That's a very light monitor, indeed.

Shorthand for gramme is a small "g", not "G".

Weird.

Nah, not weird, he's just pasted in specs off a website or mail: some muppet just made a typo.

Fand, you in Dublin? Check out Nethouse beside the Ha'penny bridge, they have LCDs, go in there, check the brand/model, and see what L/R angle is listed, then try looking at the screen from the side to get an idea of what they're like. If you're not in Dublin, git up ta Dooblin and git a job! :)

Al.

• Advertisement

Oho, aha, Nethouse? Thanks! Good tip. Is this place a shop or one of those sinister places where fat boys in black hang around wearing shades and breathing snuffily at webpages?

Here's another:

Sony 15` TFT Display & Canon ???? for sale!!! (by Koala, on 17/06/01 23.01)

Sony SDM-M51 15.1` TFT LCD TCO99
    Purchase date: January 2001
    Price: 350 Pounds
    Audio Output Type Speaker(s)
    Dimensions
    Weight / Depth 18 Cm
    Weight / Height 34.5 Cm
    Weight / Weight 5 Kg
    Weight / Width 36.8 Cm
    Display
    Projector / Colour support 24-bit (16.7M colours)
    Projector / Diagonal Size 15.1`
    Projector / Dot Pitch 0.30 Mm
    Projector / Form Factor Desktop
    Projector / Max Resolution 1024 x 768
    Projector / Technology TFT active matrix
    Projector / Type Flat panel display
    Compatibility PC / Mac
    Service Support / Type 3 years warranty
    System Requirements
    Min Operating System Microsoft Windows 2000 / NT4.0
    Min Operating System Microsoft Windows 95/98
    Min Operating System Apple MacOS

But it doesn't seem to give any "frequency" numbers. Is there any way to compare the two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Couple of small points.

I'm using a "noname" LCD monitor at home.

15" LCD is a full 15", which puts it halfway between a 15" and 17" CRT.

1024/768 is the standard maximum res on these things. Fine for gaming, terrible for developing.

There is almost no comparison between a notebook screen and a desktop TFT. Any desktop model Ive seen is sharper and crisper than the notebook models, and has absolutely no ghosting (residue images).

LCDs cause less eye-strain, apparently. Also, the refresh rate on them should not be compared directly to the refresh of a CRT. The different technologies work slightly differently. I notice aboslutely no flicker at 75Hx at 1024, whereas I might notice it on a CRT at that res.

The major thing you need to check is the lighting consistency. I have seen models where the top corners are slightly darker than the rest of the monitor for some reason. No idea why, but it happens.

300 sterling isnt a bad price. Its about right for a cheap 15" these days.

jc

Advertisement