Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas

Options
  • 02-11-2001 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

Okay,
    I'm stuck for inspiration. I've to come up with a programming project for my final year, and I'm a bit stuck for ideas, anything I pick has either been done, or is too easy/hard for the time I have to do it (couple of months research in my spare time, 1 full month implementation)...

Any good places to start me off with some ideas to develop? I'd prefer something cryptographic or networking, but all suggestions are welcome 8)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Well the best thing to do is stick to what you are interested in. You mentioned Cryptography and Networking....

I on the otherhand have decided to concentrate on Enterprise systems using wireless embedded clients. To do this I am implementing some of the latest Java oriented technologies such as PersonalJava and J2ME, and popular J2EE.

I like new technologies, gadgets, and networking, so I welcomed such a project. :)

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Here's one, why not make an MSN messenger clone [1] and have it know if it's talking to a normal msn client or your one, and if it's yours, encrypt all messages.

I intend to make a simple MSN messenger client myself, just for the fun of it.

[1] basic protocol info at http://www.venkydude.com/articles/msn.htm
    You'll want a packet sniffing tool too, use Ethereal (.com) - it rules. :)

(get official client from http://sleepygeek.org/stuff/msn.exe - don't use the latest version, it's gimmicky and full of crud.)

[edit]
    Protocol is píss easy to understand, simple TCP and it's all plain text. Only thing not sent in the clear is the password, typically simply MD5'ed.
    [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

isn't all communication in msn messenger and aim through the server ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

It is.

You need one main tcp connection for basic stuff, then an additional connection to another server (it tells you what one) for every person you're talking to.

For the way it'll know if it's talking to another crypto-msn client, add another header, something like CryptoEnabled: <crypto types available>

Official client will get 'em and ignore 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

doh :) I misread, I thought you meant secure connections rather than encrypted messages. Must be all the wheaten bread and jam I've eaten today 8)

*jots down idea*
    *goes searching for more* :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

2 words.

java quake.

:-)
    one mega applet with network play and a built in server pinger. Use java 3d and make it mega !! all the maps / models / textures / sounds are there to be used... as is the source code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

A wireless (encrypted) IM client would be really cool. If you could get your hands on a good Palm Pilot or IPAQ or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Originally posted by DeadBankClerk
    2 words.
    java quake.
    Surprisingly enough (or maybe not) that was already done about two years ago. It was called JQuake, later changed to Frag Island. Can't find it now though, it seems to have disappeared.

Don't use Java 3D - it's the most horrible API I've ever come across!

Originally posted by Enygma
    A wireless (encrypted) IM client would be really cool. If you could get your hands on a good Palm Pilot or IPAQ or whatever.

Could you elaborate on this plz :confused:

Might be able to tie it in with what I'm currently doing.

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I haven't really thought this through but I think it has the makings of a pretty cool project, and I'd say it's fairly do-able too. Also I don't think it's been done before either.
    It's just an IM client that you can run on your Palm. You should be able to see who's online/offline and send messages to them. It wouldn't *have* to be encrypted, I just threw that in cause he's into it, the wireless part gives it an edge. It would be pretty cool though, chatting to someone in Japan whilst getting the bus home :)

You could have a feature that synchs with your desktop app to export/import friends and conversations etc.

At the moment it would be slow and practically unuseable (over GSM), but it could be the killer app for the next generation of handhelds.

What kind of thing were you thinking about Phobos?

Also, what's the story with FYP's and licensing? AFAIK if you do them with a company they get to keep it right? Do projects just end up sitting on a DAT tape somewhere in uni's or are they brought out to the real world afterwards? If you decide to do a wireless IM phobos I'd be interested in working on it afterwards (as soon as you'd done all the hard work :)) Is it possible to Open Source these projects?

Jabber might be a good one to work with too, it being Open Source and all that.

• Advertisement

It would be pretty cool though, chatting to someone in Japan whilst getting the bus home

This is true, but when using embedded devices such as a PDA, inputting text can be a pain. On my Ipaq for example you use a virtual (software) keyboard to enter characters, which is done via touchscreen. But a real time chat application wouldn't be very practical. I do know you can get those little keyboards, but that really increases the physical size of a "supposedly" wireless client.

My project comprises of a lot of research and some development. But thankfully I have completed most of the research, coz I have been pondering the concepts and technologies behind it for a while.

What does it actually do
    This is a good question, but my answer is "that it's not very important right now". Even thought I am open to suggestions. Last year I completed a project on Middleware development with EJBs and web applications. I recieved 100% for my efforts, but the project did nothing in particular. My lecturers were just bloody well impressed that someone was able to learn, understand, and implement something to that degree. This year I want to build on that concept, because what I accomplished in my 3rd year project will be the most advanced topic on my Java course this year!! :) (Thankfully, that work is paying off).

So this year I want to go through all the Middleware stuff again, but optimise it's use, a little better. I also want to interact with this middleware wirelessly, on a PDA for example. But I want to be able to target this products at the largest market possible, so I will be throwing in a desktop client also. I like the idea of thin clients, such as web interfaces etc. But right now I am pondering a practical application while I'm waiting for my wireless hardware to arrive.

I have done a lot of research in to PDA software development, and I could nearly write a book at this stage as to what is a good, and bad idea to develop. So their hardware limitations will play a big part in my decision as to how they are to interact with the enterprise backend.

But as I said suggestions are welcome ;)

;-phobos-)

Advertisement