Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

imcomplete systems.

• 12-05-2000 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got any loacations where I can find out about buying a PC that isn't a full system?

I already have a monitor, cdr, jaz, external zip . so I don't want to buy those again. In particular the monitor (hmmmm 21" Trinitron...). Basically I need somewhere that will put together a PC for me without insisting on adding in bits.

Also, can someone PLEASE , in unbiased, easy english (no tech-talk) give me a brief synopsis of the advantages and disadvantages of AMD and Intel (PIII/Cel)? I keep hearing conflicting stories, usually from fanatics, that are filled with pseudo technobabble. What ever happened to plain english?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

for bits of systems have a look at www.pcp.ie

as for plain english
    well its just not edgy or proactive enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Myself and sutty put together pc's, and its no prob to put it together without those parts you mentioned. Email me a spec, and I'll give you a price. About AMD vs Intel, well Intel machines have less compatibility problems with hardware and software (in my experience ) and they run games noticeabley faster also. The P3 also runs business applications faster. The athlon is a little cheaper, and runs pure number crunching programs faster. When I say Intel I refer to the P3 coppermine, as the athlon is much faster than the ordinary p3 or celeron. THe athlon is the only AMD chip worth talking about, the others are fairly rubbish. Hope this helps somewhat.

[This message has been edited by Gerry (edited 12-05-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

also motherboards supporting p3's are a lot less hassle than the athlon equivalent.

if you already have a decent case then you might be better off gettin the various internals yourself.. as sometimes the box only option can be expensive what with greater returns on accessories like zip drives, monitors etc. compared to the mboard/cpu.
    (if that makes any sense at all)

http://www.filmsoc.com

[This message has been edited by Kali (edited 12-05-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

er... in terms of motherboards for athlons the Giga-byte 7ix is the best to use un-less you want to overclock the fsb then i'd go with the Giga-byte based on the ka133 chip set. also if you wait untill the end of the year the new amd chips sould be out, but it's not worth it really smile.gif

but I'm afraid to say after seeing gerrys new cumine, it is a fear bit faster in q3. (dam on die cache) smile.gif

Advertisement