Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bypassing the Admin function in W98 ?

• 11-05-2000 12:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Here's the problem. A friends computer got a bit messed up.

One of her kids set up an admin account and locked off all the settings (no desktop, no shortcuts, etc) for all users then forgot what the password and admin password was.

So anyone know how to at least get the desktop back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Yes, boot up in MSDOS mode.

At the prompt type "format c:"

Confirm by pressing Y

Reinstall windows.....

Beat the crap out of the kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Ok here's a less extreme measure:
    • Boot to the C:\ prompt
    • go to the c:\windows\command\ folder, (depending on wether or not your path is set)
    • run scanreg /restore
    • Select a previous registry backup from before the admin was set, reboot and cross your fingers.

Dunno if that'll work, but it's the first thing I'd try...

You might also try deleting *.pwl from the c:\windows folder.

It realy depends on how the admin was set, I would imagine it was done with the User Policy Editor (poledit.exe), in which case you may be able to run poledit from windows and change it back from there.
    If you don't have an explorer or a desktop, you'll only be able to do that from any programs' "Open" dialog box, wherby you can navigate to your windows folder and right-click on explorer.exe and select 'Open' instead of 'select' which will run the program regardless of policies.
    But then that's if you can get to an open program.

Bleh, ye' know it's Win9x, pleanty of security holes.

[This message has been edited by Dead{o}Santa (edited 11-05-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

Could you get in, in safe mode, no???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I can get into the machine free, it's just that the desktop is locked off. :/

I'll try Santas option. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

cool homey, let me know how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

YES!!! MY CHANCE TO SHOW OFF MY L33T H@><OR SKILZ!!!

Ahem..
    Ok this use to work in 95 with a system policy thingy and it depends on getting into notepad or the ability to create a shortcut. Even a save or open dialog box will do.

If you can get into notepad write a batch file to run the relevant .cpl file (eg c:\windows\system\network.cpl)

Then simply save it as a batch file to the c:\windows\startup folder and reboot.

If you can only get into the open/save dialog box of any app then create a shortcut to notepad in it and save to the above folder.

Ok worse case scenario and you can't get into any of the above. Open the registry in edit under dos and open the file system.dat (run attrib -s -h -r system.dat before hand). Then search for something you know will be in the Run key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run)
    Then edit the path of something there and replace with the *.cpl you need to run in control panel. On the next reboot it should come up first.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Ar5e Santa beat me to it. Damn my not-read-all-the-posts-before-posting brain!!!

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

Advertisement