Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ways to get a job in web design or it

Options
  • 02-11-2001 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

firstly, apologies if i should have posted this on the work board...

i am in my final year in college and i *really* want to get into web design. considering that i am not that artistic, i reckon the techy end may be more feasible. but i love all of it :)

at the moment i have oodles of enthusiasm but very little else! my degree is not in IT or creative stuff. it will be in actuarial maths (don't ask...it seemed like a good idea at the time!)

i figure i need to do some postgrad or other training to get anywhere. i am considering doing a hdip in cs in ucd or a masters in multimedia systems in trinity. woudl these be useful?

i realise my chances of getting into web design are pretty slim so anything in IT would interest me.

i know the advice often is to mess round with websites yourself, build up a portfolio etc etc. although i haven't had much time to pursue web design, i have recently bought software (dreamweaver, flash, fireworks) and a few books. i even ran a free design service up to recently in an effort to improve and gain experience.

trying to muddle through it all on my own does not seem to be getting me very far. obviously, certain skills and certificates/qualifications must be sought by employers. i need to find out what these are so i can try and get them.

i've waffled on for way too long already! what's the best way for me to get into web design, or the IT sector in general?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bar

there a really good postgrad in DIT if you want to get into the techy end of things. check out:

http://www.dit.ie/admin/graduate/courses/ft364.html

for more info. The whole industry is a bit crap at the moment though. I did that course last year, got a first, and still can;t get a job. If you want more info though, feel free to mail me:

bar1000000@hotmail.com

or you could just mail the main man Don Ryan:

don.ryan@dit.ie

As far as design is concerned, you either have it or you don't. You can't really be thought how to design web sites. You can learn all the programs you want (dreamweaver, flash, photoshop, etc) but this won't make you a good deisgner. Courses to learn these programs are all over the place. But you'll pay about 1k for a decent course and you could easily teach yourself with a few books.

The courses you said are both good and i looked into both of them myself. But if you want pure web dev then FT364 is the way to go.

.:bar:.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

i wasn't aware of that course so thanks a mill for the info. and best of luck with finding a job yourself.

Advertisement