Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Outlook 98 problems

• 06-04-2000 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭

Yep have seen one or two of these and just to let you know their still in Outlook 2K
    Performance is very slow well this normally has a lot to do with what your tring to do.
    eg Filtering a news group with thousands of entries kiss good by for a while. Also it depend on your exchange server someone could be doing some processing like above and this can be done by exchange causing eveyone to slow down. Also there is the normal thing of who was opening a 50 meg fiel from the servers public folders smile.gif

Ghost windows yes these are on outgoing mails and normally when your repling two killl them just right click maximse/restore and then kill the window.

Link on a webpage sounds lie your install is a bit fubared maybe the reg still points to an older mail app that was not uninstalle dcorrectly try reinstalling outlook.

Kharn as for machine intensive try have many VB projects in debug SQL Server/MTS/IIS running on your machine along with countless other windows and still be able to play Quake 3 god love dual Pentium 3's and loadsa ram smile.gif

KaYoS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Also watch for opening large archive folders from a slow network. If you have archives remove them and see if its speedier.
    And like Kayos said - reinstall

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I get the ghost windows thing when I'm compling up a large project. the only solution I've found is to close down outlook. As for slowness, only when I've alot runing at the same time (2 VC++s - both complining, a couple of exploreres, telents and ripping a CD).

Draco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Kayos's suggestion works for closing ghost windows, cheers!

The install was an upgrade from 97, which had the same issue.

As for performance, 1st of all there's 256MBs on there. I'm running some stuff alright, but all the other apps are responding fine, it's only outlook thats slow. Dev Studio, IE5, multiple dos boxes (for compile/links) all are grand.

I notice 16 bit apps like WS_FTP 16 tend to have trouble at the same time as the outlook problem, but I really dont think it's a resource issue. Also it does seem to be local. Maybe it's just a sh!te MS app...

Thanks for the help,
    Al.

Hi guys,

I've had some various problems with Outlook 98 on NT4, just wondering if you've had the same and if there's any links or advice you can provide.

- Performance is very slow, locking up for long periods (causing me to think it's dead, when in fact it comes back after 5 mins)

- I get ghost windows appearing in my taskbar when I close a message (usually outgoing)

- I cannot click a link on a webpage to send mail - I get the message "Can't create the item"

Has anyone seen/solved these issues?

Cheers,
    Al.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Not seen them Al.

But, I've seen the amount of apps you have running at a time and it's no wonder it hangs. I've experienced some slowness when I have lots of windows open, but what I'm at wouldn't be as machine intensive as you smile.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~davitt

• Advertisement

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q191/0/93.asp

Answer to one of the problems - "Can't create the item".

Took a while!

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

For all the flack microw@nk get (and deservedly so) Knowledge base rocks.

That is all, move along, nothing to see here.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

Advertisement