Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

resize window

• 03-05-2000 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

Heres the problem, my manager wants the web page so that if the size of the window is reduced then the contents of the page will reduce accordingly.......

I don't think its possible, I'd love if someone could prove me wrong.

The page I need to do this is made up of frames, mayb if I had it all just as one page it would help.........but I would like to avoid this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

If your putting everything in tables (which I presume you are) then what you need to do is specify the table size in percentages, rather than fixed pixel widths; so it's always a proportion of the window no matter what size the window itself is.

You cant make the contents themselves get smaller (images, text etc.), methinks your manager needs a good slap with a wet fish for suggesting such a thing smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

Aye I know what your saying there and I can do it that way...........Are you saying as the window gets smaller the contents will get smaller also, cos this is what I am meant to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

One word: percentages.

Another word (for the more advanced): ems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I seem to remember being able to assign a width value as a percentage to an image, and it resized with the window.
    Hmm, funny that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Ya, you can assign heigth and width percentage values to a picture, but it can be fussy - depending on your browser. I had no end of grief with it before - ended up scrapping a whole site because of it frown.gif

Maybe style sheets could help with the text? Failing that, JAVA-Script? Check out http://www.jars.com/ for some more on that.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Advertisement

If the texts isn't in a table it will automatcially wrap with the size of the window.

As for percentages for text size, no.

Have to use an absolute value on a scale of one to seven(3 is the default) or using a relative value +n or -n (based on the default or <basefont> setting)

I think Hecate you are right a good auld slap in the face with a wet fish will sort him out.

Style sheets would do it but I ain't got time final review today at one....arrrrrhhh.

Cheers lads smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

percentages work for images and tables but would they also work for text.

Does IE5 have the option of scalable fonts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Use Flash4.

If you own the Web server set up Macromedia Generator with it and you can have updating text+graphics without having to compile anything.

Hobbes thats a great idea, unfortunately the webmaster is a twat. He can't write raw HTML and uses FrontPage.

He doesn't like using java applets cos he thinks they don't really work. Until I told him of an amazing thing called a java plug... biggrin.gif

How a lad like that got a job gives me hope when I finish college, at least I have some what of a clue..............

• Advertisement

lol.

Actually you could do the whole page in Flash4, easier to use then front page. then just use this...
    &lt;HTML&gt;
    &lt;HEAD&gt;&lt;TITLE&gt;&lt;/TITLE&gt;
    &lt;BODY&gt;
    &lt;EMBED SRC="myflashfile.swf"
      WIDTH=100%
      HEIGHT=100%&gt;
    &lt;/BODY&gt;
    &lt;/HTML&gt;

Excellent,
    I'm afraid it won't happen though, they are trying to standardise all Motorola's sites. I don't know if Flash is even available.......could probably get from IT....

Its eventually going to be just using templates. Most people in here have gone on FrontPage courses and are still struggling.......so chances are, things will be kept as simple as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

flash .. for those who havent a ****in clue and want to annoy webusers everywhere.

most of what you can do in flash you can do with macromedia fireworks using rollover techniques.

Well I have to say Flash is the dogs bollix.

I did in flash in 10 minutes a whole page with interaction and autoscaling of everything what would of taken ages to do with HTML/JAVA.

The whole thing? 15Kb.

Flash4 is about $200 and is a fully working version is d/l'able for 30 days free.

No HTML needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

umm yeah, Flash is great and all but the fact remains that for business sites its a no-no.

A lot more people than you think dont have the flash plugin and couldnt be ar5ed d/l'in it when prompted.

Advertisement