Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie looking for old Irish !!

Options
  • 02-11-2001 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy all,

Does anyone know of any websites where I can get old Irish music ?? I'm talking about the great bands from the 80s and 90s like Something Happens, Fat Lady Sings, That Petrol Emotion, An Emotional Fish, Engine Alley etc. etc.

I'm a huge fan of this stuff, but finding it really hard to track down on CD....

2 sites I regularly use are Vinyl Vendors and Vinyl Tap (despite their names, they sell plenty of CDs) .... anyone know any others ?? (or have old Irish CDs for sale themselves?)

Rgds,
    Dave.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Stuart_Little

OLD IRISH MUSIC : That Petrol Emotion etc.. that was only 10 years ago!! Jesus what frikkin age are you?
    Old Irish Music... what f*ckin country are you from??? Old Irish Music dates back further than the 80s. Not that you'd care..... too busy growing/dying/shaving your hair in a futile attemp to attact members of the opposite sex by appearing as 'hip' as humanly possible (pity you're failing).

Aslan must be like rock-grandfathers to you...

ps.
    by the way, all that music you listed is Utter Sh*te. There's a reason those pathetic f*ckers couldn't last more than a few years... they were complete b0llox... Capable of filling McGonagles once a month at best... not quite the big time...

Can you tell what kind of humour I'm in?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Jeez.... U got out of the wrong side of the bed and banged your head on the wall !!! :p

Maybe 'old' is the wrong word for it. The music has been deleted and is not available any more. It can't be bought in any regular music shop.

And I'm only 27, so I was listening to that kind of stuff in secondary school and college........

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

some public libraryies have that sort of thing on tape, mine's got That Petrol Emotion, An EMotional Fish, The Stunning etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Hey Tmb, i was at a party recently where Engine Alley and Lir played, blast from the past :)

Since most of the bands in question were dropped, i doubt their record companies still have copies of the album. Have you tried second hand shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah, I have tried 2nd hand shops. Chapters on Abbey St. is a little goldmine for stuff like that !!

I have alot of it on CD and tape already. I'm only looking to fill a few gaps...... For instance, I have all Something Happens CDs except "Been There, Seen That, Done That". I have "Johnson" by Fat Lady Sings, but I'm looking for their earlier album (the one with Deborah and Arclight). Frank and Walters recent stuff is OK, but I loved "Trains, Boats and Planes" (which I am also looking for!).

To go off on a little tangent here, we have alot to be proud of in Irish music. Sure, everyone loves U2, Ash, JJ72, The Frames..... I'm a massive fan of The Devlins (saw them in Dolans in Limerick last Saturday, and got Colin and Peter's autograph). I think Woodstar are fantastic (local Limerick band - one to watch over the next year). I love The Hitchers, Whipping Boy, The 4 of Us, The Stunning, The Walls...........

Does anyone recommend any Irish bands that people mightn't be familiar with ??

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hi Dave,

Im a fan of a lot of that stuff myself and have gone to great lengths to track some of it down, and have eventually found some absolute gems on vinyl.

If you find yourself totally stuck with any particular tracks/artists, send me a mail and Ill see what I can do about maybe burning some stuff on to CD.

Noteworthy stuff includes the Frank and Walters - Trains Boats and Planes, The Fat Lady Sings - Twist, The Blades - Raytown Revisited (wonderful beyond belief!), An Emotional Fish - Sloper, Light a Big Fire - Gunpowders, Stars of heaven, Microdisney, Radiators from Space etc etc.....

Worth a visit to Macs in Georges arcade, and at the top of Camden Street as well as the regular fairs that take place in the Royal Marine in Dun Laoghaire.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    reed@NOSPAMphantomfm.com

Remove nospam to reply!

Advertisement