Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 computers one connection .

• 12-05-2000 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

just wondering if i had 2 computers surfing the net and they were both connected on a 56k modem what would it be like . also if i have 2 56k modems use them both for a faster connection . also want info on firewalls .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Haven't tried any of that myself but as far as I know:
    If you're sharing a single 56K modem between two PCs, then your bandwidth will be more or less halfed and you may need additional software.
    Two modems in one machine, will give you more bandwidth, but won't improve your ping (and in some cases increase ping), you'll also need an ISP that supports the duel 56k setup.
    As for firewalls, haven't a bog...

Feel free to attack my posts, I can't get enough of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

two computers on a single line is grand for normal surfing/irc/telnetting what have ya.
    pretty much unplayable for games tho (tell the other user to **** off while you get a go) for 2 modems you obviously need 2 lines,
    iirc one is upstream other is down.
    only very few modems will actually work together in this way.. i dont think any old 56k modems can be thrown together
    also im not sure what isps in ireland support the duel 56k but there must be at least one because you can buy the usr duel 56k modem in shops here.
    really awkard anyway and very few ppl go for that option.. hence the number of "iirc and i thinks" about the subject smile.gif

firewalls.. search tucows for some good windows ones.. load it up and play around with it, nothing much else to it then that, except an unhealthy sense of paranoia smile.gif

http://www.filmsoc.com

Advertisement