Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this true?

Options
  • 03-11-2001 3:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I was talking to friend of mine, who is involved in a big software company, and told me that Eircom apllied to the ODTR long time ago, to allow them to upgrade their phone line's network.

What they wanted to do was to distribute the voice call, to one network, and data to another faster and better network, prepared for it.

But supposedly, they weren't allowed to do it.

Is this true, or is it one more of those rumours that spread all over the world ..... ?

JamworkS

PS: Don't slag me off, because of this, i'm just asking, allright lads???? :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Yeah JamworkS there appears to be some truth in what you heard. But what prevented them from going ahead with it was not that they were stopped but the following:

They were told that even if they split their traffic into pstn (voice calls) and IP (data) onto different networks, they would still have to allow other operators to transfer IP data over their voice call network. This they felt defeated the purpose of trying to split the data, since if they took their IP data onto a separate network other operators would have a right to shunt IP data over their voice network.

David Long
    Vice Chairman IrelandOffline

Advertisement