Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What US components firms ship internationally?

• 03-11-2001 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

Only places I've ordered from, that I can think of, are Chip Merchant (wwwthechipmerchant.com) and Direct Deals (for software) www.directdeals.com. But my mind isn't the best this early.

What places do others find good?

(I know Tarzan ships for people - Tarzan, I'm not trying to take away your business, lots of people will prefer you to order on their behalf and take away all the annoyance of checking prices and good deals, and ordering, and watching for shipping, and so on.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

www.knowledgemicro.com also ship internationally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

Components as in computer parts (boards/RAM/cards etc) or components as in things with wire etc? Apart from the software, the US retail prices will probably end up being close to retail prices in Europe when shipping and duty are taken into account. Even so there will be a lot of stock being dumped as this recession begins to bite.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Myself anf Tarzan have taken great offence to your post Fand! :rolleyes:

But if anyone does want cheap hardware from the states - let us know ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

Bubbles - I'm delighted that you're there, you and Tarzan, and may use your services betimes, but at the moment I'm feeling out the ground for myself.

J, I mean cards and RAM and things. Sometimes the US is dearer - for example, an Athlon XP1800 processor is some vast price on the chip merchant at the moment, compared to Dabs - but sometimes, with the dollar equal to the pound and sterling 20 per cent more, it's actually worth it to ship from the US. The British sites charge silly shipping prices anyway.

Thanks for the knowledgemicro address, Stephen, I'm just oing to take a loook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

check out www.scan.co.uk

great prices and especially their Today only page.. silly prices on certain goods that change every day... prices are in sterling and exclude vat but it usually works out cheaper for most things.

• Advertisement

I've heard Scan is not the best for after-sales service, though (on this board). And it's US sites I'm looking for.

Wouldn't it be great if Egg shipped to Ireland <sigh>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

A word about knowledgemicro ... They've stopped accepting foreign credit cards due to fraud (allegedly), and now will only accept cheques, money orders or western union money transfers from overseas customers.

B1tches.

Ha'e tha'. The whole point about credit cards is that they're cheaper to use than the abovementioned kludges.

What about German firms? I believe components are cheapsky-yeapsky auf Deutschland - are there any firms there that ship here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Canadian

Best thing to do is to hang out at Temple Bar and meet someone from the States....

My buddy in Edmonton, Canada just shipped me an Athlon XP 1600+, 512MB DDR-SDRam (266), a Asus motherboard and XP Pro (not the upgrade) for $630 Canadian.

That works out to be 346 Irish.

A great site for prices that the rest of the world pays (other than UK and Ireland) is www.atic.ca - divide all prices by 1.83 (Exchange rate Canadian dollars to Irish).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Canadian

Just one more thing about prices outside Ireland now that I'm on a decent RANT-

3 Mbit/sec ADSL Or 3Mbit/sec Cable in Canada costs $35 Canadian a month for unmetered usage. Thats 19.25 Irish. No installation fee, cable modem included, and you get 2 months of service free. See for yourself:

ADSL:
    http://bell.sympatico.ca/DynamicContentServlet.dyn?/english/home.html?s=1

CABLE:
    http://www.shoprogers.com/store/cable/athomecontent/atHome.asp

Divide prices by about 1.82 to convert from Canadian to Irish.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Canadian, but what if it goes wrong? I bought a laptop through a friend in the US and the battery was a dud. As it happened, Apple were very nice about it... but this mightn't have been so, and in theory I should have had to ship the whole laptop to California at my own expense, and pay the shipping back too!

If your motherboard should have turned out to have a loose PCI slot or something, you'd have had to send it back to your pal, who would have had to make a dozen or so phone calls on your behalf. Friendship shouldn't have to go so far.

At least if I buy directly, I can make my own negotiations by email.

Advertisement