Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ive kept my mouth shut for too long

• 04-11-2001 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭

But after seeing a very sick post on the CS forumns I feel I think its time for some change.

The CS forumns are way out of hand, with no moderators actually moderating. The board has degenerated badly, with sick puppies pasting all sorts of ugly and unrelated material it makes my gut churn.

Granted, Shinji does the job when hes about, but give me a break, mills and meglome are as usless as p1ssing in the wind.

I call for new moderators who actually care what is posted on the forumn and wont take any sh1t either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

The post was made at 8 am, I'd gone to bed at 4 am, and I didnt get up until 2.30, I saw the post and edited it at 3.15 or so. I'm never online between 2 am and 4 pm because I have no net connection from school, but this is never usually a problem as most of the CS board posts are made in the evening, when I'm around and checking every hour or so.

The board has become a lot better recently and the sort of posts that you're talking about were made from an all night LAN and are very much the exception rather than the rule now. Also, I think if you look back over the board over the last month you'll see that I do at least as much moderating as shinji, are you telling me that a post made at 8 am would have been dealt with noticibly earlier on a sunday morning by moderators on any other board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Well TBH the counter strike boards are reknowned for massive amount of "muppetry" from the latin "Muppetry Maximus" and there's only so much the moderators can do.

I'm sure that Mills and Shinji probably moderate more posts than any other admins.

Due to the time the post was made and it being a weekend then the time taken for an Admin to be notified is considerably longer than it would be during a week day.

All in all I think both Mills and Shinji do a more than adaquete job on the CS boards.

I think Meglome may be a bit of an absentee landlord but that's something for the Admins to deal with.

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Apologies Mills. It just get the impression that you were away alot.

My Point stands tho. There is WAY too much BS going on in the CS forumns and it requires more admins then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Np, I don't make too many posts on the board these days but I read all the topics at least 3 times every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Originally posted by logic1
    Due to the time the post was made and it being a weekend then the time taken for an Admin to be notified is considerably longer than it would be during a week day.

As mentioned above the post was made about 8:00 this morning. It was reported at about that time, or a half an hour later at most, with the "report this post to a moderator" thingy at the bottom ot the post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

one has to wonder wgat you expect from that age group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

There's a fundamental problem here - it's damn hard to moderate something posted at that hour on a Sunday morning. I know that Mills is a bit of a night-owl, so he'd probably only just gone to bed at that stage ;) - and personally, I was in London all day at a meeting... Obviously as soon as one of us did see it (Mills in this instance) it was fixed.

The two of us between us probably do more moderating than anyone else on the boards - not doing any chest-beating here, it's just that the CS board *is* a problem board. If there were some way of banning users off it altogether... Oh well, I can dream :)

By the way, I'd like to propose a somewhat drastic measure. I have never in my entire life seen a useful or relevant post from the IECork netcafe. The staff there are useless by all accounts - in fact a number of them, such as "Dino" (now regged under several names I believe) post abusive rubbish regularly on the boards - and show no interest or ability when it comes to controlling the activities of their customers. Needless to say todays unpleasant incident came from this cafe, and I'm sure others have in the past.

This kind of stuff just isn't funny on any level. At least one guy I know opened that thread from work (he works in another cafe, in Dublin) and was in a location where the highly offensive image contained could be seen by customers. Causing this kind of trouble is just not on; and such a huge amount of this muppetry is coming from IECork. Unless anyone can come up with a really good reason not to, I'd propose banning the IP addresses used by this establishment from boards.ie entirely; and if not all of boards, then the CS board at least, if this is possible.

Regarding meglome - haven't seen Gary on the CS boards in months. Perhaps appointing another more active moderator would be in order?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by Shinji
    Perhaps appointing another more active moderator would be in order?

Yea, i suggest littletinyman, he's such a pretty boy.

// EDIT- oops, i thought Rob wrote "attractive", not "active" :/ you can't blame me though, thats exactly the sort of thing anyone who idles in #fortress.ie would expect from him

I resemble that comment, young Mike!

ive an idea, what about setting it up so you have to be registered a week before you can post at the CS forum, that way you can ban someone and they cant just come back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

easy, make me amp, castor and micro all moderators as well.
    lets face it, it doesnt get any more fasict than that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Why not indeed, I haven't played Counterstrike since February (I prefer a game where every second player isn't cheating), but I can edit or lock a post with the best of them.

Aww, amp isn't fascist. He's all cute and cuddly.

Besides, it'd mean you'd all have to read the CS boards.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

meglome is never moderating the boards.

shinji and mills do a great job.
    i am guilty of the above nonsense (not the thread in question, but i have had many posts edited on me :)

the problem is the cs board itself. i post to game editing / programming / games and after hours on a regualr basis, but i troll the cs boards for all they are worth. some kid posts some idiotic trip and its hard not to reply :) - altho recently the connection in college (tcd) to boards has been brutally slow, and i have thought twice before replying to a post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    easy, make me amp, castor and micro all moderators as well.
    lets face it, it doesnt get any more fasict than that :)

hey!!! just because i'm a nazi doesn't make me a fascist ;)

i think more ppl are defn needed there.

i've said this before but some (most?) of the posts there have fk all do to with CS in the first place and stuff that would get booted to another forum is just left to decend into flame wars and pointlessness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Aww, amp isn't fascist. He's all cute and cuddly.

I resemble that comment!

Besides, it'd mean you'd all have to read the CS boards.... ;)

Seeing as how I've played CS a total of one times and didn't like it at that I think I'd be ideal as a moderator, especially seeing as I only moderate two boards currently.

amp - playing with matches IS FUN!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

How about giveing all moderators power over the cs board... little féckers would have no place to hide :D muhawhawhaw

oh, is that moderating you do :)

cute and cuddly.

cuddly maybe, cute. har har.
    hurry up mate. this countries gettin cold without you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Well, if you want a mod who will take no **** for a few weeks, I'd offer my services... Play abit of CS, online alot, and as oldies from #quake on irc.iol.ie may remember my extreamism. Plus I don't give a damn if those ****wit kids in Counter Strike hate me! :)

Gimme 2 weeks and I'll have that forum in shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

mightn't be any cs players left though!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

I hereby offer myself as queen moderator :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

I have net access during from 9:00am to 4:00pm (5:30 on Mondays) from college..if ye needed someone during the odd hours. (All I does is use the boards all day in that time)

Otherwise..I support either Queen Renton or Littletinyman Par for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

renton or bubbles.

as for par(?!?) lol!
    noway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Okay when the possible moderators list is complete maybe we can have a poll.

We will then replace meglome with the new person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

ok to put some light onto THE THREAD OF POOR TASTE...
    it came frem the asend of an all nite CS tourney, that is, CORK LAN.

now at bout 8ish people started goin thru "interesting" websites, cos the enthusiasm for gaming seemed to have wained.

a certain DFOX decided it would be quite the laugh to post the first "hardcore pic" of the happy asians. i did warn him at the tim but seemed not even to know that such a thing was such a serious offense, this of course gestated the spammage, topped by me pretty innocent pic :)

neway perhaps its not made CLEAR enough to "new" members [dfox @ 120 odd postings] about what is not tolerated.

you cannot blame poor mills, eve tho i do not post often on CS boards, i see him VERY busy most times. the post was made at strange hour for the day it was...

i dont think banning IE would be fair to the "innocent" users that browse in to use the net speciallically for boards [like me]. even if dino did impersonate me [which i found out sat nite, the fecker]

nehoo i would go with MORE moderation of the cs boards with a clampdown of the spammage.

end opinion

For the sake of keeping myself and bub's leetness intact, I feel I must play the following card.

oldskool.jpg

:cool:

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Im not going to throw myself at attempting to become a CS board moderator... Been posting in that board for two years and it really is a handful, but if you're ever stuck for an extra moderator, throw me a line... I really think we should all be using the "Report This Thread To A Moderator" option more often... Even if a moderator isn't awake when the post is reported, at least he/she is notified as soon as they log-on, and can deal with this sadness right away...

Just an idea...

Good luck in the Quest for Thine Holy "No Muppetry" CS Board...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Well, I don't really want to be involved in a poll/popularty contest, was just offering a hand for the short term. I was even going to register a new Nick for it and all, bubbles the CS muppet slayer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'd propose banning the IP addresses used by this establishment from boards.ie entirely; and if not all of boards, then the CS board at least, if this is possible.

Am shinji, I use IE, when I don't have access at college, or at weekends. I'd appreciate a little thought before calling for a ban on the place. Not everyone who uses the comps in the place is a muppet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

ill throw my hat into the ring. come on, im not that bad a fellah!

sci/fi board is fairly quite, now that unsane is gone ;) so put me down as a contender! :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by azezil
    sci/fi board is fairly quite, now that unsane is gone ;) so put me down as a contender! :)

Snap :p

I'd put myself up for nomination, only having posted on the CS boards i've been contaminated. The saviour must come from without!

Originally posted by kaids

Snap :p

I'd put myself up for nomination, only having posted on the CS boards i've been contaminated. The saviour must come from without!
    So ur sayin i'm the man for the job, how civil of you :p lol
    I read but do not participate in, the cs board. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

The Brief: This card and many other like it are being played gratuitously on the Counter-Strike forums every day.
    chetarrskum.jpg
    Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to counter with this card as much as possible.
    moderated.jpg
    Hehe... well, the tribes board isnt keeping me too busy, so i can help out if necessary.

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by azezil
    How about giveing all moderators power over the cs board... little féckers would have no place to hide :D muhawhawhaw

I love this idea :)

It would be a great way for moderators to release pent up stress

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Smak for mod! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'd be fascist mod, but then there'd be a post-count of 0, as I couldn't be bothered reading that CS crap anyway, so a quick redirect to the recycle-cupboard would be the order of the day.

Any real boards need a fascist mod?

Al.

PS Old skool don't need cards ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

Hmm i think that the soultion is in the problem. the mods. At the moment they are only on line x amount of the time as they have lives outside of boards.ie(or at least i hope they do) So what i suggest is get a few mods for the board not just one lets say 4 a rough figure but have it so that there times spent online differ so they can patrol better. that way there will be less chance for muppetry on the cs boards. also i think ye should ban any post on the board with the title along the lines of im giving up cs. why? no one really cares they just lie and try to be nice. personaly i look at the cs boards from 9 am to 6 pm most days from college sat and sun are out of the question. and i read all posts and reply to the chosen few.unless i get the job im looking for and if i do then many more hours on line. I think that it would be wrong to give all mods power on the cs boards but if they were able to hide a post (dunno how though) so that it could be viewd later by amod who may have fallen a sleep at the keyboard. but this is just my personal opinion.

as for smak for mod good idea but he aint on line as much any more. :( he is gonna kill me for saying that the power hungry devil that he is.

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan

I love this idea :)

It would be a great way for moderators to release pent up stress
    Of course I ment community mods as well ;)

And since some ppl have brought it up my times are 9:30 - 5:30 mon-fri, once on sat n once on sunday. :)

those cards crack me up

• Advertisement

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»
    those cards crack me up

available at all good stores.......

http://www.rootshell.be/~micr0ie/

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

A popularity contest will not solve anything here, moderating is a big responsibility, yes, even on the rapidly saddening CS boards...

Shinji and Mills do a grand job, but it's pretty much been proven that two moderaters aren't enough, seeing as Meglome is apparantly away from the board...

The CS board has been discussed many a time, and they did get better (Even if only for a little while) when Cloud/Devore (Can't remember which) posted a serious complaint and warning... Dev moderated the board for a while, and the folk calmed down...

Can this approach be utilised again!?

Maybe try posting a temporary or sticky warning on the board and lay down some more rules, and simply excersice some 12-clicking skills should they be broken...

Also, just a thought, and a far fetched one, but if the worst comes to the worst would shutting down the board for a while solve anything!?

Doesn't seem to be many options for this situation... Just expressing the very few idea's I have at the moment...

So whats gonna happen then? Cloud/Devore ?

As I see it this isn't a "SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!" type situation - the post in question was a once-off, if an unpalatable once-off. For the most part it's just low-level muppetry, and I'm deleting much of that, as is Mills.

One thing I have noticed is that some of the same people saying "something should be done about the CS boards" are the people popping in and randomly trolling or flaming threads there. Not naming names, but you know who you are and it's not exactly helpful...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Urm,

I've been viewing/posting to the cs board for a long time now. Alot of it, I just can't be arsed posting replies to as I've seen the same thing all before. But I do read nearly every thread posted.

There is a completely different strain of posters appearing on the boards in general, which makes my gut churn with the sh1t they post and get away with.

I don't thinks something HAS to be done, but I do feel a few more admins would help with the extent of the muppetry.

Originally posted by MindPhuck
    Urm,

I've been viewing/posting to the cs board for a long time now. Alot of it, I just can't be arsed posting replies to as I've seen the same thing all before. But I do read nearly every thread posted.

There is a completely different strain of posters appearing on the boards in general, which makes my gut churn with the sh1t they post and get away with.

I don't thinks something HAS to be done, but I do feel a few more admins would help with the extent of the muppetry.

I agree, and I also agree with Shinji, its not a "Something MUST be done" situation

its more a "A few more moderators wouldnt hurt" situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

available at all good stores.......

http://www.rootshell.be/~micr0ie/

I created a monster.

Originally posted by MindPhuck

I say name names. There does appear to be a few people posting just for the sake of trolling. RP board had Kilroy try it on and just edited his post. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Originally posted by RopeDrink
    Maybe try posting a temporary or sticky warning on the board and lay down some more rules, and simply excersice some 12-clicking skills should they be broken...

Also, just a thought, and a far fetched one, but if the worst comes to the worst would shutting down the board for a while solve anything!?

Actually what you have just proposed here works wonders. The temporary closing anyway. It was happening over on our lobby but we seem to have countered it for the moment.

A temporary closure of the lobby was implemented (3 days I think) and it set them all straight.

Yes it was extreme, but it worked.

The sticky warning has been there since it was re-opened a week ago.

Closing a board/boards is way too drastic a move. It doesn't accomplish anything and I can only recall one time in the history of the boards where the muppet level got a point where the boards were shut down for a few days.

Sticky warning would be similar to the karma system we had and everyone (except the moderators) hated.

I would say "pink name" offenders. Anyone who's been naughty gets thier nick on the left turning pink which means that if they keep it up they are in trubble.

• Advertisement
Advertisement