Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Dublin Bands?

Options
  • 04-11-2001 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

From the few I've seen live I can only say the talent is great. Connectfour Orchestra are doing something refreshing and totally uncharted (to my ears at least). Coldspoon Conspiracy are another I'm keen to hear more of. Dying to pick up Dudley Corporations record too.

Anyone got opinions on I Am Kloot, Moth Wranglers, The White Stripes, Mull Historical Society or drukqs or Jimi Tenor's newbie? These are all albums I picked up - I Am Kloot I have listened to and ohmygod what a gorgeous sound they make. Moth Wranglers too, they're comprised of LD Beghtol, sometime voaclasit and ukulele player with Magnetic Fields. MW's album is called 'Never Mind the Context'. If anyone would like to hear it but can't find it I'm quite willing to copy it. Off now to listen to Natural History by I Am Kloot.

www.mothwranglers.com
    www.iamkloot.com

peace people,
    Busby

:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭twoheadedcow

the revs*

*joke

hah (very amusing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

The White Stripes are deadly though evidently not from Dublin.

As for Jimi Tenor, I was given a flyer for his gig after Air @ d'Olympia and checked out his website, some nice sounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

yes i am kloot are well worth a listen....MW sound very interesting as a magnetic fields fan, do you know if the album is in road??

cheers
    m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

connect4orchestra are pretty amazing, although i wasn't that impressed by thedudley corporation. they're supposed to be better live, though.

as for the white stripes, i was a little dissapointed. i expected more! goddamit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Mneh, the Connect 4 Orchestra are pretty tight live but, to be honest, they're really like a boring Tortoise or The Sea and Cake. Certainly nothing groundbreaking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

the connect four orchestra
    joan of arse

these two bands are doing some really intelligent music at the moment.
    i can only go on what i saw of them on no disco,but they know how to treat their instruments.
    not just technically sound,but clever songs;NOT COMPLEX,but clever,if you know what i mean.

i really want to see the dudley corpo. and the art of fighting also.

come phantomfm play these j!vers on your station.

Eh no the Dudley Corpo arn't really better live

"I reckon the LP is a good deal better than the live thing." - Joss (the Drummer from the Dudley Corporation)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

i'm a big JOA fan I have to say - their latest is beautiful, and just got my hands on their vinyl mini-album with the french title from a while back.

the rednecks are also pretty mindblowing particularly live, also the jimmy cake are worth a listen or 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 haters

Originally posted by Monkey

"I reckon the LP is a good deal better than the live thing." - Joss (the Drummer from the Dudley Corporation)

the "i've had my heart ripped out again" bit is better than any crap any of you have ever liked, ever - in your entire lives.
    - seriously.

its like emo. without being gay / shizzitt or emo.

their album is far better than the rednecks or the jimmy cakes or 99% of the bands gettin talked about here.

damien frosts album is also great - which incidently features joss from the dudley corp / joan of arse.

Well you see I wasn't slagging the Dudley Corpo at all there I was merely saying that I don't really think going to their gigs is better than listening to their album and Joss would appear to agree.

I do like the Dudley Corpo as this will tell you:

Welcome to "The Lonely World Of The Dudley Corporation", the band's debut LP packed with snappy, quirky songs that rock. It's a delightful album.

The Corpo burst right out of the CD player and into your ears from the start, opening with three of the best songs on the album, "Divil the Bit" in particular is marvelous. Elsewhere "The Small Hours" and "Slowed in Motion" both merit a mention for their goodness.

A couple of songs on the album miss the mark a little, "She Falls" for example limps along tediously. However when the Dudley Corporation hit the mark, which is most of the time, they hit it right on the nose.

You may not return from your trip into "the Lonely World of the Dudley Corporation" as soon as you might have planned as these great songs will surely convince you to stay and keep the band company for a while.

And I like JOA and Connect Four Orchestra and the Redneck Manifesto and lots more so please READ what I say properly. Saying that they are not better live than their record is not slagging a band any more than saying that they ARE better live than their record.

• Advertisement
Advertisement