Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unreadable CDR

• 16-05-2000 9:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Quick Question,

Basically a company was copying a big group of Data files onto a CD for me. They did this and sent it off.

Now I've got the CD and having tried on two PC's it just giving "Drive not ready Error" each time.

They swear they copied the data on .. i reckon they fked up.

What i want to know (as i dont have a Burner and have no idea about this stuff) is

a) How did they Fk this up, if they are sure something was burned

b) Is there anyway to access data on a cd when the drive just keeps spinning indefinitely and saying "drive not ready"

Cheers,

JAK.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Cd burning can be hit and miss, especially so if they haven't a clue about computers. It would be safe to assume they messed up the CD. Get another one from them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Sometimes, a CD can only be read by the burner that created it - it's a right pain in the bum, but what can you do?
    Tthis usually only happens with lower quality CDs (at least that's what I've found).

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It's possible they didn't close the disk which would cause problems for other CD readers.

If you can read it in the burner then get them to close the disk.

Another option is...
    1. Right click my computer.
    2. Select properties.
    3. Select the third tab (I think)
    4. Go to filesystem and select CD tab.
    5. Switch off everything (read ahead cache, speed setting).

If you have a high speed CD-ROM switching it all off actually speeds it up and sometimes fixes that problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

and....
    unfortunately, sometimes burnt cds just wont read on smoe systems. its the same with audio cds, sometimes they just wont play on any system other than the one that created it.
    just a fact of life im afraid frown.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Well screw life so ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

I cant read cdrw's for some reason
    any ideaS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by podgeen:
    I cant read cdrw's for some reason
    any ideaS?

Yea and you won't be able to either. I have never gotten a CDRW to read in anything other then a CDRW drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Lots of DVDs will read CDRWs without problems. Even my (rather new) hifi will play audio cd's on CDRW discs smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭PJ Hunt

If the people in question did'nt close the cd with the right protocol i.e. making it readable by any device...

You'll hafta find out which piece of kit was used and get the software for reading from cd's burned with that device..

Ya can get em here..
    http://www.go2osirus.com/tech-cd.html

‡PJ‡

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

just get em to use the adaptec easy copy for idiots software
    just stick in disc to copy in one drive
    stick cdrw in other drive
    open adaptec copying for idiots in program menu
    press continue
    take out cdrw after half an hour
    put cd anywhere and it works smile.gif

none of this closing sh1te or whatnot. you just choose what you want to copy and it does it
    bit like ronseal wood stain smile.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement