Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English accents on RTE ads

• 05-11-2001 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

What is it with all these English accents suddenly on RTE. Have we become a branch of England without noticing? Are we supposed to identify with these people? Are Irish actors expecting to be paid too much (ie properly) for their ad voiceovers and is RTE therefore employing cut-rate Cockney labour? Or the ad agencies, or whoever does it?

Bit of a foot-in-mouth job, anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

and all those damn american accents in films are making me sick....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

And all these gawddamn Australian accents in soaps are really annoying me too.

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yea and living in England I hate hearing that Irish accent on the car phone warehouse. Fúcking <unts.......... Wait a minute...... I dont care.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

Not to mention Mrs Doyle nagging people about their English taxes.

Seriously, though, the soaps and films are made in Australia or America and we buy them because they have good stories.

It's another matter for our own advertising companies to be pushing an English model of life on us. Still, what can you do - the country is flocking with little Anglo housing estates called things like The Gallops. If that's what yiz want...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you have seen a sudden change in ad.s recently, it's because much less money is being spent on ad. s worldwide (companies are seeeing them as a 'luxury'), but in particular in Ireland (Sky and UTV are targeting the traditional RTE market much more than previously).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Fand
    the soaps and films are made in Australia or America and we buy them because they have good stories.

"good stories"??!!?!?

Bwah-hah-hah-hah-hah!!!...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I agree with bard, all soaps are "Sh|te"

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You boys better not be dissing Prisoner: Cell Block H, or you is cruisin' for a bruisin' :)

Originally posted by Fand

It's another matter for our own advertising companies to be pushing an English model of life on us. Still, what can you do - the country is flocking with little Anglo housing estates called things like The Gallops. If that's what yiz want...

ahh ok.
    so you are actually going to go out and buy something because someone with an english accent told you to?
    how exactly is the english model of life being pushed on you?
    what exactly is the english model of life?
    how does it differ from the irish model of life?

and you know what, lets change the words cul de sac.
    far to french and not irish enough.

and god am i sick of irish people coming over to england, taking our jobs, leeching of society. im sick of them in australia too. i cant go back there for fear of meeting 5 dozen irish people i know.

i hate the way they push their model of life onto everyone.
    drink guinness etc etc etc.......

yeah fand, good points.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by Bard

"good stories"??!!?!?

Bwah-hah-hah-hah-hah!!!...
    I second that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Forget English vowel sounds, its those honeyed American accents
    that are pissing me off - is it possible to sell anyhting in the country without one?! Even Harry Potters' been turned into Coca Colas latest weapon!

Mike.

Oops. I'd, umm, switched the radio to Classic FM and hadn't noticed.

the one thing that does really p1ss me off though is the way americans say herb.
    H-erb.
    not erb. or else it would be spelt E R B

its HERB!

gddit!

HUH ERB

although i do like the word rhinosuaruas.
    pronaounced
    rhino-sauruas like a dinosaur.
    thats cool :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by Castor Troy
    You boys better not be dissing Prisoner: Cell Block H, or you is cruisin' for a bruisin' :)

God there's some ugly women in that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Andor

what pisses me off are those yank accents and they're poo'd up re-invented english language
    Am i the only one who is noticing the nation's toddlers going around with accents that sound more like
    Tommy from Power rangers
    or
    Tutter from bear in a big blue house ??

yanks claim to spell words in the english language phonetically....
    then why do they spell the aforementioned "Herb" with a 'H'.. or an "aitch" as they call it with perfect pronounciation

what the hell is
    alluminum and why cant they just use alluminium like all the other english speakers on the planet!?

i dont know about you, but when i was living in ancient Greece two thousand years ago it was those dirty Paedophile's that touched my grandson, not a "PEDOPHILE".
    what the hell is a 'pedofile'?? a database for legs!???

americans are like... totally stupid whereas we "rock"

whooo! yeahhh! duuude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doctúir

Originally posted by Andor
    what the hell is
    alluminum and why cant they just use alluminium like all the other english speakers on the planet!?

The Yanks are, in fact, correct when it comes to aluminum. When Humphrey Davy first discovered the metal, he named it aluminum. The British later changed the ending to -ium in line with the Latin spellings of other metals.

It is now standard practice in scientific journals to use American spelling e.g. sulfate instead of sulphate.

And if you were as old as I am (I well remember a mother dinosaur clucking gently on her eggs at the end of our garden when I was little) you'd remember that in those days we said "Urb" for "herb" on this side of the Atlantic too. "Herb" came in later.

I feel kind of affectionate about Americans and their mad use of English. It's great the way they verb nouns all the time. A word never knows where it is in American - one minute it's a noun, the next it's a verb, an adjective, an adverb and probably a phrasal adverbial pronoun. It really impacts on my appreaciation ;)

Originally posted by Doctúir

The Yanks are, in fact, correct when it comes to aluminum. When Humphrey Davy first discovered the metal, he named it aluminum. The British later changed the ending to -ium in line with the Latin spellings of other metals.

It is now standard practice in scientific journals to use American spelling e.g. sulfate instead of sulphate.

Check out Bill Brysons' book Made In America which is an examination of the way American english has influenced English English. Its full of disquieting stuff which shows many of the
    phases we use are in fact 100% Yankee, and that includes realy
    quaint stuff like "Gordon Bennett!". If remember correctly
    Bennett was a chap who upon entering a certain resturant
    had the habit of whipping away chairs from under diners and such like, the regulars would then exclaime "Gordon Bennett!".
    As you do.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Andor

okay fair enough

but it still irritates the hell out of me ! :")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Originally posted by mike65

Check out Bill Brysons' book Made In America which is an examination of the way American english has influenced English English. Its full of disquieting stuff which shows many of the
    phases we use are in fact 100% Yankee, and that includes realy
    quaint stuff like "Gordon Bennett!". If remember correctly
    Bennett was a chap who upon entering a certain resturant
    had the habit of whipping away chairs from under diners and such like, the regulars would then exclaime "Gordon Bennett!".
    As you do.

Mike.

now this i will need proof for because I just cannot imagine gordon bennet being said with anything other than an british accent....

hmmm fishy very fishy

I can understand your scepticsm, but the reason I recalled
    that instance was because it stuck in my head as it sounds very British.
    I've got Made in America on my lap and will try and find the page in question!

Just found a link here
    www.geocities.com/gattkris2/yousoundlikegordonbennet.html

Found it! :)

Page 105 his full name was James Gordon Bennett and he used
    it whip the tableclothes away not the seat, anyway the effect was much the same!

Mike

Advertisement