Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

And so ITV begins...

• 05-11-2001 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

All the ITV tests are visible in London again this morning - it looks like the tests are presently Free to View rather than Free to Air as the Sky Card needs to be in the box.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Are the tests currently visible on Irish digiboxes ?

According to a post on thebigforum.com, ITV is now appearing on R1-1.

Are any of our posters near a digibox ?

Are we getting this in Ireland ?

ITV IS ON THE aIR IN THE CLEAR IN PERFECT DIGITAL SOUND AND PICTURE RIGHT NOW r1 2-1
    yIPEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!:) :)
    tHIS IS ON THE BBC BOX AM ABOUT TO CHECK THE iRISH BOX
    MM

yES THEY ARE ALL THERE ON THE IRIS SKY CARD IN THE CLEAR-PERFECT DIGITAL SOUND AND PICTURE
    r1,r2,r3,r4,AND r5
    exCELLLLLLENT!!!:) :):)
    MM

Excellent news !!!!

Thanks Madman.

Looking forward to seeing all those local news programmes that the British posters give out about so much on the British forums.

• Advertisement

Region 16 is also on! :)
    Hope more are to follow...!
    I've a funny feeling- my work rate here is going to be very low today-whilst I get a look at these regions.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Four eyes

Damn, I'm not first on!!!!!

Yep, ITV - definately there

Well done everyone....at last Charles you can say "ITV- somethings happening!"

Great stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

No problem receiving here at 12.37 5/11/01 I am just wondering why the feeds are encrypted rather than free to air as reported.

Regards Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I've split off the latest development from the old thread for ease of navigation.

Yes indeed, while I had checked the ITV channels around 10 this morning and all were showing the now familiar William Road tests, I checked again during the "This Morning" show at 12 to see that the programming was free to view.

All of the regions are now broadcasting, however initially it was looking bad for the UTV variation as it was just showing the William Road screen and I wondered was there some wrangling going on there.

But UTV came on around 12.30 or so, and all seem to be broadcasting now. It was fun to see the ads from Anglia and Scottish TV.

Here are some screenies.

r3.jpg
    r11.jpg

As you can see, the different region variations have a box missing from the 4 x 4 grid at the top left corresponding to their region number. The screenies shown are for regions 3 and 11 respectively.

I noted that the channels (except the original William Road test) do not trigger the letterbox format.

My mother will be happy, she has no TV3 (but has Sky D) for Coronation Street.

Enjoy!

John.
    --

Can confirm, what you said Cloud - when I first dicovered , this some including UTV were doing the Card-now all on!
    Just brilliant :)
    please could they get rid of that box on the top left though:(
    mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭cableskeptic

When I tried to test ITV channels my Grundig box refused to store the channels (I had about 30 extra channels stored).

I deleted a few that I didn't need and reset the box and then was able to store all the new ITV channels (I now have over 40 channels stored).

Thanks to all who supplied the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 luke warrington

HI DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY THERE ARE TWO MERDIAN TV REGIONS ON THE ITV TEST.

ON THE CHANNEL TV REGION IT SHOWS MERDIAN FROM MAIDSTONE IN KENT BUT THERE IS ALREADY A MERDIAN TV TEST FROM SOUTHAMPTON SO WHY IS THERE NO CHANNEL TV TEST??????.
    ALSO THERE TWO GRAMPIAN REGIONS????

APART FROM THAT I THINK IT GOOD THAT ITV ON DSAT.

I WATCHED THE REGIONS NEWS TODAY GRANADA WELL IT RUBBISH TEE TYNES IS LIKE SOMETHING OUT OF A 80@S TIME WALK THEW BEST WERE CARLTON LONDON MERDIAN ANGLIA AND UTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

I don't want to be the fly on the ointment here, but 3 points bear
    mentioning:

1. These are tests. They could disappear at any time. The symbols at the top right of the picture are to denote different ITV regions. Change to a different region, and you'll see a different gap in the symbol.

2. Some programmes, i.e the Premiership, Champions Leauge, and some big blockbuster films, will not be shown due to rights issues. The channels will either go to blue screen, or will revert to a different schedule for DSat. This applies to the UK and Ireland.

3. ITV and Sky could strike a deal at the 11th hour, meaning all the channels will encrypt, and be unavailable to Irish or European viewers.
    No carriage deal has been done with UTV to go on Sky in Ireland
    as yet.
    This may mean a delay in having UTV on Sky in Ireland.

Let's enjoy it while we can. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I'm sure we're all delighted, but no need to scream luke... ;)
    There are 2 main Merdian regions, something like the way there are 2 HTV (Wales & West).
    This may apply to your question (from uk.tech.tv.sky):
    > Has anyone else spotted that Channel TV is not broadcasting on R12 3-1 but
    > Meridian is in it's place, the interesting thing is that the bottom EPG is
    > showing Channel's programming text. Am I right or have I missed something?

I looked at 13:45 today but couldn't tell because it was a network show.

But remember that Channel used to get all of their network programmes,
    and national ads by re-broadcasting Meridian's off-air analogue signal.
    (Picked up at a tower near Cherbourg, and microwave linked onward to Jersey)

However the programme I saw was in component video, and 16:9
    (but without the 'w/s' flag).
    So I assumed that they are now sourcing their network feed from
    a fibre-optic link ? There is no DTT (aka ITV Digital) service on
    Jersey, so Channel up until now have not needed to worry about
    widescreen..etc.

I don't know how they intend to feed their signal back to the NTL
    uplink, maybe that's not arranged yet, hence Meridian appearing
    in their place. Or they have built a 'digital output' control room,
    that's not on line yet, coz no one is (officially) watching yet!
    and they are just feeding Meridian straight through.
    (They are in essence, just an opt-out of Meridian)

BTW, all channels working here.
    Brendan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

Even though these channels may be temporarily available, it is really great to have ITV in perfect picture quality with stereo sound - bliss.
    When I think of the quality of UTV on Chorus - dodgy picture with lines and horrible hissing sound: what a joke. I had to endure many programmes with awful reception.
    Hopefully ITV will be a permanent fixture on DSAT for ROI.
    Chorus must be quaking in their boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 roy

Originally posted by Pat Gleeson

2. Some programmes, i.e the Premiership, Champions Leauge, and some big blockbuster films, will not be shown due to rights issues. The channels will either go to blue screen, or will revert to a different schedule for DSat. This applies to the UK and Ireland.

[/B]

The X-files the movie is on tonight, it will be interesting to see if that will be available

Originally posted by Pat Gleeson:
    1. These are tests. They could disappear at any time. The symbols at the top right of the picture are to denote different ITV regions. Change to a different region, and you'll see a different gap in the symbol.

Yes we had all worked that one out a while ago

This may not be the case-I would not be so pessimistic now.
    The Test broadcasts are appearing as "Free to View" as opposed to "Free to air"
    This means that whilst you need to insert your Sky card to view them-You do not need a subscription if you live in the Uk-or here in ROI , you will have them so long as you subscribe to the most basic Sky.
    I have read that ITV's rights to their films are "Europe wide" in the English language-so that would mean no black outs here.

As ITV have bought the rights to show the champions league in the UK and Granada have a big share in tv3-I don't see any issues there.
    The premiership is a different matter though as Sky obviously would like to maximise its sports subscribers and RTE would be entitled to kick up a fuss.

We shall wait and see;)
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Four eyes

Question for you folks..

What is the story with 1-6 to 1-9
    2-8 & 2-9
    3-5 to 3-9 channels?

Is there ever anything likely to appear here or what are they about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭PacMan

Great to finally see ITV-1, to give its correct title, on sky. However I was suprised to see that during "Prime-Time programmes" this evening that several regions used the ITV-1 logo instead of their own regional branded one. This was not so on UTV. Not a ITV logo in sight. Is the UTV brand that strong, and do they get into trouble with ITV HQ about not using the Coporate image???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

those extra labels are probably there for ITV to add new channels if they ever decide to do so, ie. ITV2, ITV Sports Channel, Carlton Cinema. PacMan the same thing happened on Grampian, no sign of the ITV branding to be seen anywhere. It seems Madman is right concerning films. The X Files is on DSat. it was at least until i left the room. it is great to see these different regions. the programmes i am not too bothered about although Shafted seemed to be alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Originally posted by PacMan
    Great to finally see ITV-1, to give its correct title, on sky. However I was suprised to see that during "Prime-Time programmes" this evening that several regions used the ITV-1 logo instead of their own regional branded one. This was not so on UTV. Not a ITV logo in sight. Is the UTV brand that strong, and do they get into trouble with ITV HQ about not using the Coporate image???

That is a bit of a sore point, Pacman!

The whole ITV 1 brand is used totally by all the Granada and Carlton franchises, i.e. all but UTV, Scottish, Grampian and Channel TV.

Its all down to corporate branding. UTV are aloof from the ITV Network Centre on branding, UTV want to be independent. After all, thats what ITV stands for. UTV very much object to the imposition of the ITV 1 brand. At the early stages, when ITV 1 was going to be introduced in the summer, even SMG (owners of the Scottish and Grampian franchises) were objecting to the use of the ITV brand in their areas, as their brands are quite strong already. UTV have had many spats with the ITV NC, on the competition for the news, where UTV teamed up with Sky News and CBS against the Granada and Carlton backed ITN, and, of course the blackout of ITV Sport Channel on ITV Digital in Northern Ireland is down to UTV not allowing the carriage on their multiplex. It will only happen at the right price, of course.

You could say that UTV is a bit of a pariah.

I'm with UTV on this one, they should keep their local identity, and idents, and not fall into the very poor brand that is ITV.

Damien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭PacMan

A bit Off Topic, but I am always amused by the signature that Damo uses in his postings.
    You could change that as follows:
    There is no "I" in UTV and there is no "U" in ITV, based on the answer to posted to my question......

ROFLLAMO! :D:D:D:D You're not the first to mention that, on a different forum exactly the same was said.... it refers to the reply I gave to my boss to the company's efforts on teamwork....

Damien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

I had a friendly chat with Lucy from the UTV press office this morning - the line was repeated to me that what we are seeing are tests and not a full service. However UTV are hoping to be available on DSat across the UK by the end of the year. Rights issues, etc. need to be worked out in the meantime.

No specific word as whether UTV would be available in the Republic, but UTV have always claimed the Republic as part of their "territory" (!)

anyone else losing satellite signal when coming out of these tests and watching normal Sky programming. wouldn't it be strange if my box was just about to pack up a week after the year contract thing ran out. here is hoping not

I've noticed coming out of these ITV things that (A) I've lost my Personal Planner info on occasion, (B) Now/Next banners no longer display program info on normal channels. Sometimes the program info doesn't appear in the TV guide either. Switch off time.

Also had weird problems trying to add the channels for my parents over the phone, nothing was appearing in the Other Channels screen after multiple goes adding the channels until a good old plug out of the box.

Also interesting to note that the tests did not block out Premiership or Champions League Extra last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 zak

I noticed that you don't need an active card to watch ITV. A card that has not been activated will work as will a card that has been switched off.

the picture seems to be breaking up on all tests today. the question again is, is it just me. it is happening on Kerrang! too

• Advertisement

All channels, including ITV1, are fine here.

All channels are currently gone back to the Williams Rd colour test bars.

they surely aren't finished with testing. are they? the widescreen switching thing still wasn't working on the first 2 transponders

Hearing some stories of peoples "Add Channels" list dissappearing and being unable to add the ITV channels onto their digibox now that the tests have appeared.....

As I am going home this evening for the first time since the tests started, I want to know if anyone has had this occur to them. i.e. loaded the channels to their "add channels" but then dissappeared and then the channels failed to save. Could I encounter the same problem??

TIA,

Damien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Damien...yep...last night I lost all my "Add Channels" - ITV I can replace easily enuff (I nearly know the frequencies by heart at this stage ;) but some of the others will take a bit of looking....it's a bug with the current version(s) of the Digibox software - apparently if you get to around 40 "Other" Channels it may kill the entire list :(

Luckily my "Other Channels" haven't been deleted since I stored the ITV tests for a second time, because I've heard a few people say that they can't add the ITV channels now.

This kind of thing happened to me before when there was a test animation for Bright Blue. I stored it, but after my channels were wiped I couldn't get it back (even though it was still broadcasting by all accounts).

It seems that the engineers can fool your system into believing that there are no channels there when there are.

Is anyone else out there getting a "No signal being received" message when trying to tune in ITV ?

• Advertisement

Charles,
    My stored channels were never wiped from day one-possibly because-I plug the box out at night?
    I still have the castle test stored and strangely theres nothing on it.
    I notice at times UTV and especially Scottish get rid of those square boxes-thankfully.

mm
    I have a panasonic in another room with a bbc card-it is using the old chorus mmds cable to run up to the lnb-It always says no signal received when looking for any channel-but finds them all when I hook it into the where my Irish sky box is.

Btw-prior to the miracle that is Sky-the only way you could get Ch 4 down here was through chorus mmds (S4c-being what you get from your aerial along with HTV wales/BBC wales etc)
    Chorus also provided UTV

At a cost of way over a 100 pounds a year you got them with Diabolical (excuse spelling) reception
    UTV on Sky - sheer bliss (prefer HTV though)
    Cant see why ch4 is not in ROI-

Thanks Kaiser and Charles, its a bit hit and miss. (if I cant save them if they do go, I will hit the box, but lovingly caress it if it holds :p )

Let y'all know later!

Media Week have reported that ITV is poised to strike and deal with Sky for conditional access, and may launch on th 20th of this month.

Full report here

http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/ThisWeek.News.View.aspx?ContentID=7284

Originally posted by madman
    UTV on Sky - sheer bliss (prefer HTV though)
    Cant see why ch4 is not in ROI-

Cool, mm, interesting to hear what other people think of the other ITV regions, compared to the one that they have been used to in the past.

As regards Ch4, its only a matter of time....
    :rolleyes: :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mojolaw

Just to add to the loss of the added channels etc I have three digiboxes which constantly have to be plugged out to reboot the programme information and to restore digital text - I have good signal strength and signal quality on all recievers- has anybody else experience of this?
    Any comments/advice appreciated.

Mojolaw

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DamoDMC
    Let y'all know later!

:D:D:D:D

Happy, happy days in Farnadooneyland!!!

Have watched the end of Central News, watched Grampian into the ITV news, looked at Anglia into Emmerdale and LWT for Corrie!

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lux

Can anyone tell me if the transponder UTV is on (i.e. 3) has a smaller footprint than than the 1's & 2's. I'm viewing in Luxembourg and find that the '3' signals are very unstable and breaking up.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

All 3 ITV transponders are on Astra 2D which has a narrow footprint aimed at UK and Ireland making it harder for some other European countries to get a good signal from it.

while going through the tests i pressed Select when 3-5 was highlighted and it was encrypted with no EPG info. what is this being used for. ITV2 perhaps? anyone know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hey all,

While flicking thru the ITV regions tonight (approx 7.30pm) I noticed that those on the first transponder (LWT etc) only appear to have sound but the "boxes" DOG is gone from ALL regions...wahey! if it stays like this, I'll be taping that Bond movie tomorrow night ;)

3-5 is showing the William Road testcard, and the program info for now and next is showing what is on ITV2, so possibly it is coming sooner rather than later ;).

Brendan

Advertisement