Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which hdd to buy?

• 05-11-2001 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

Ok I'm buying a comp (soon hopefully) at the moment it has a: Maxtor 40GB, Maxtor 4K040H2, UDMA100, 5400rpm hdd but I was thinkin of getin IBM 41GB UDMA100, IBM IC35L040, UDMA100, 7200 rpm instead, only £20 more.

Is that a good / bad idea? Reliability, stability wise.

Cheers :)

P.s. these are the only two options...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Well after recently purchasing a nice quantum fireball 7,200 60gig beast - im well impressed. After having two previous 5,400 drives the new one is fruking flying - this thing 0wns. Games load WAY faster and making ISO's takes about half the time :)

I'd spend the extra few bob and get the faster one :D

[edit]
    IBM drives apearently 0wn and i have had probs with Maxtor reliability
    [/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I thought i read somewhere alright that ibm were good, i think the majority of the hdds they buy at work are maxtor, not sure, what ever comes with compaqs these days n i know they're dire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

I got myself a quantum fireball 40gb 7200rpm ata100 jobbie for 130 nicker from it direct.

wowsers, the difference from a 5400rpm and udma66 is quite mad. w2k loads easily twice as fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Get the 7200 one, just make sure that you board can take UDMA 100, it'll still work, but will not run to full potential.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

quantum are an extremely good make, they btw are now owned by maxtor

i wouldnt by that model maxtor, they are extremely dodgy, i havent seen anybody with problem with the 7200rpm model.

Id go for the ibm, in fact i did and i got 2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

I have 2 IBM hard disk's - 1 x 30 gig 7200rpm udma 100 (1 year old) and 1x 60 gig 7200rpm udma 100 (one week old)

the 30 gig is already reporting hard errors ( scandisk and ibm official software can't fix them ) and it makes a very loud scraping noise when trying to read the bad sectors.
    that said i haven't lost any data and no more errors have occoured since the first lot.
    only the other day i saw this

http://slashdot.org/askslashdot/01/10/04/0050238.shtml

(look at the links in the article)

i have never had any hard disk failures before and i own c. 25 hard disks (from 20mg! (2x!!) > 60 gig) - except for one 20mg segate which died after it fell down the stairs (but not before i copied the data off it) - so this failure after 1 year has me worried...

if you want preformance (though not reliability) choose IBM they are the fastest of any of my HD's

Advertisement