Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

v2 12M SLI'ed, sod all performance increase?

• 16-05-2000 6:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

You really should see a difference there Nog. Are both Voodoo 2's from the same manufacturer and have they both got the same ammount of memory?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

My folks pc (which I built of course) is virtually the same, and by criminey it does make a difference. I presume when you disable sli there's no change. If so then well I dunno. Usual stuff, latest drivers, glide, and of course format and re-install windows wink.gif

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

in a p2 450, 128M Ram. I've got no increase in fps in ither Q3 or Q2, so i presume the setup of the SLI is incorrect.

Win98 detects both, i've the same drivers installed for both, on the display properties 3dfx tab, it says SLI detected. Errrm, anyone any ideas?

ButcherOfNog
    Hot Internet Virgins
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com
    http://www.playerofgames.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

what about directx/glide based games?

Further info

there is a performance gain, i get a 3fps increase in Q2 smile.gif

both 12m v2's, both Maxi V2 Cards.

on display properties, 3dfx tab, advanced:
    sli detected
    frame buffer mem: 4mb
    texture mapping unit(s): 2
    total texture mem: 8mb

shurely those mem figures are incorrect? should they not b doubling up due to the SLI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Well because each card works independently on every odd or even line it might be right but just reporting on the one card.

Is there much of an increase in Q3? Just asking cos maybe it's a gl issue.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭BugBlaster

does the properties say that it has detected the sli ???/ mine used to..

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭BugBlaster

both units have to have the same spec n model .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭tarzan

i have the same values in my display properties tab.
    i have a celeron at 416 and i get 70 or so fps in q3 , with my two v2's

ok, after pulling the cards out, one of them had Maxi 3D stamped on it, the other had Maxi 3D on a wee label stuck on the card. i peeled off the label, and it has 3dfx V2 under it, stamped on the card !

so, i dl'ed the latest 3dfx ref drivers, installed them for both etc and ....

sli detected
    frame buffer mem: 8mb
    texture mapping unit(s): 2
    total texture mem: 16mb

RESULT ! or so i thought, still only a 3fps increase in Q2 ffs. I'll check Q3 tonite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lechifre

Excues me as a newbie please. I can't help you with the lack of performance increase, but I have a GUESS about the memory reported.

Vs in SLI render alternate lines of the screen, and because they're sharing the workload, they should be quicker. But they both need the same texture info to draw the screen, so you should NOT see double texture memory, cause they both need a copy of the same textures. I don't think they can read each others texture memory.
    Ummm... I think you were probably better off with the first set of drivers when they reported the lower texture memory. They may be out of sync now, and think they are two seperate video cards doing different things.
    Unfortunatly this dosen't help you at all with your performance problem, sorry, but thats the best I can offer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement