Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Pub/Club in Galway

Options
  • 05-11-2001 5:05pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well? Not sure if there are many Galweigans like myself on these boards but it's worth a shot!

Pub - The Cellar
    Club - Cuba*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

TBH I think all the clubs up here are dung ;) GPO is decent enough at times and as for pubs id have to go with the cellar as well.

Oh and btw theres a fine crop off peeps from Galway that post on the boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'd go with Cuba or GPO, though the Alley is good for pulling sometime (though I'm a wee bit old at 23 for there now)...

Pubs I like: KH, Taffes, The Front Door, The Skeff, The Quays, Hole in the Wall

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

hmm...tough one, but over 4 years it is constantly changing,

One thing for sure is that the WARICK on saturday night it the best night club in G.

Pub...dont know.....

Originally posted by toil
    hmm...tough one, but over 4 years it is constantly changing,

One thing for sure is that the WARICK on saturday night it the best night club in G.

Pub...dont know.....

Don't go out SH direction much, but the Warwick was at best _average_ the 2 times I've been there.

Lo toil[et] :)

Al.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Cp's is defo the best for pulling in Galway at minate, avg 2 or 3 woman to 1 fella.

Pub, front door is probably the best, Dew drop is best for Guiness not unless u want to go to the fishing shop beside the pub, name escapes at the minate.

Fahertys good fodder and spot to watch a match.

Warick is a pile of pony. GPO are now doin foam parties on thur nites and Cuba best for dance music

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Death to the superpub. Taylor's is has to be; where the beer is good, the drinkers are professional and the legendary Seamus works.

Clubs? You're really chosing the lesser of a number of evils. How can anyone justify paying 7 quid or whatever is is into Cuba on a weekend?

Interesting Trojan, most of the pubs you listed are extremely homogenous and understandably owned by the same two cartels :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 BEG*

Mmm *Cuba rocks but who on earth goes to a club on the weekend? We paid £8 to get into the gippo during the summer on a saturday. NEVER AGAIN!! And its the gippo like....
    I've a hankering to go to CP's for my birthday [yes, I know its a cattlemarket but I'm a girl who gets notions in her head].
    The cellar rocks although I'd only go downstairs for open mic. And shock shock horror horror the college bar is growing on me again after Halloween night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 franco

best pub- neachtains, incredible guinness (liquid sex), nice old world feel, nuff said

club- boo radleys is possibly thebest of a bad bad lot

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You know that Neachtain's is a gay bar, right? Or at least has a large gay contingency...

PS lots of SU BBers here now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭C B

Neachtains, and the Dew Drop are the best pubs in Galway.

The only good nightclub, Vagabonds, closed down years ago.

Anybody who seriously thinks that one Galway nightclub is better than another needs to get a life, and anybody who pays into nightclubs is obviously a nobody who's opinions should be ignored :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

www.sin.ie was down for the past decade (not that i post a whole lot on it anyways) so that could explain ppl's migration to luverly boards.ie <*smoochies*> ;)

Munroes for a good trad session and a cheapish 21st in the back room.
    I have to second Taylor's, never actually been in there until I went to NUIG, previously knew it as 'That small spot besdie the Róisín'. Little did I know just how big and cavernous it is (relative to the street frontage - 1st Elec. Eng.)

There does seem to be a bloody big crowd of Galweh heads on boards, almost as much as those dublin lads/lassies/misc.

Kharn's trying to geta Galway boards.ie drinkies night going for Thursday the 20somthing'th
    This could be a test of just what places are any good.
    Though he's from Castlebar. Best not to mention it. :p

Originally posted by Robbo
    Interesting Trojan, most of the pubs you listed are extremely homogenous and understandably owned by the same two cartels :)

Yeah, I'm afraid I'm not one of the "if it's popular then I don't like it" crowd.

I should have listed Sallys in there too, but I wouldn't like to confuse the begrudgers ;)

Al.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Well the rule of thumb with popular pubs in Galway is that they all have to cheapen themselves to gain custom. Fibbers (15 year olds), Cuba (the pints are Osama's *other* biological weapon, costs on a par with Sweden), Kings Head (Pyramid playing the same set list, week in - week out), Skeff (staging area for the Alley, nuff said), The Quays (since when are you a 30 year old woman squeezing herself into clothes 4 sizes too small looking for dignity Trojan? If so give me a mail :)

In summation: the proletariate ruin EVERYTHING.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I like pubs. I know all about them.

I have been drinking ALOT for a LONG TIME.

Here are my thoughts:

(I do not list Salthill pubs here, as they need a review of their own).

Pubs for Guinness:

Neachtains.
    Freeneys.
    Murphys.
    (The last 2 face one another).
    O Connells on Eyre Square.

Pubs for Football:

The Huntsman.
    Flahertys (Under the Southern).
    An Fluich Gob.
    The Claddagh.

Pubs for Food.

Neachtains (nice and homely).
    The Huntsman (IN a class of it's own).
    McSwiggans (expensive)
    The Kings Head (Quick and easy).
    The Quays. (I like it, OK?)
    Munroes. (Pizza to die for).

Beaver Pubs.

Bazaar (unga bunga).
    Cuba. (Oh yeah)
    Busker Browns.
    The Front Door.

Loud Pubs.

The Front door.
    The Kings Head.
    Busker Browns.
    The Quays.
    The Skeff.

Quiet Pubs. (My Fave).

The Dew Drop (I like it, small and cosy).
    The Spainish Bar (The most underated pub in Galway).
    Murphys (oldies pub.)

Trad Pubs.

Taffes.
    Roisin Dubhs.
    "There are no others".

Skanger Pubs.

The Quad (Wha are you lookin' at?)
    Fibbers (OMFG).
    The Pit Stop (see above).
    The hole in the wall. (forget the last 3 words).
    Sally Longs (But I like it).

Pubs I like, in order.

1. Dew Drop Inn. Gimme a pint of plain and sit me beside the fire, and I'm grand. It's small, the way pubs should be.

2. Taylors. A grand pub, but out of my way. I don't drink there as much as I should.

3. Freeneys. You haven't drank Guinness until you've had it in Freeneys. I lie not.

4. McSwiggans. A great place to bring a date. It's full, yet a one on one conversation is not out of the question. Lots a student girlies to ponder too.

5. Munroes. The best pub to meet up with a large group.

What he said.

Actually, Rob, any chance you could do that for Dublin pubs? ;)

Cheers,
    Al.

News is our old haunt the sin boards are on the way back. Now we'll have to divide our time between the two. This bulletin board addiction thing is getting out of hand!!

Sin Boards back tomorrow morning which is probably now.

Barring Damien being struck down by lightning or Hetch doing any work of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 franco

the fuching boards are not back yet. help

although frequented by some homosexuals neachtains could not be classed as a 'gay bar'

i dont believe pubs should serve edibles of any kind. food just serves to comprimise the whole raison detre behind pub culture. ie a convivial atmosphere for the general populace to persue discourse while getting blathered. Many pubs nowadays sell more cofee than they do guinness and are nothin but glorified restraunts. what would behan say?

nobody seems to have encountered the pleasures of Garavans, the best bar in galway in a kind of an elderly spit on the sawdust on the floor kind of way, not forgetting the infamous yelstein lounge.

'would members of the crew kindly refrain from urinating off the poop deck'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

how old are ye galway people, where ya go to college or school, just i mgith know some ppl that know ya's curious like that i am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

School. Lol.

Caravans = Old boys pub for Saturday Turf Punters. Don't ever mistake old world for something to be lusted after. I drink there a bit, but never stay that long. The regulars are not my type.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

'Trad Pubs.

Taffes.
    Roisin Dubhs.
    "There are no others". '

The Crane...trad sessions like everyday at 6pm or so....place is always at that shiit

But surely Franco, a girl setting foot in Garavans. Would the world turn on its head? And it does seem like a bit of a smelly old hole. Although I must admit I've never gone in there, this impression is solely from passing by and seeing the door lurch open and thus getting a glimpse of a pub darker than Alliwee Cave!!

ps sin boards who cares? we've got our own avatars here and everything..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

The only club worth mentioning is Cuba. I like it because it's got the newish/classy look, equiped with taliban toilet staff. The crowd there are decent, and the tunes (if you're a dance head), are nothing but quality.

The GPO is OK, but the crowd can be dodgy.

The smell in the Alley is more than enough to keep me away. Apparently the story is that some guy got sick in there about 18 months ago, and the cleaning staff are still looking for it :p

CP's is nothing but a cattlemart. I hate overcrowded clubs, where you hold your pint against your chest, while you walk around. But the decor is decent, and the women the same. It's def, the pulling club, but only if you're prepaired to listen to DJ Otzi on repeat for the night.

Even though I am from Salthill, I wouldn't recommend going out in it, unless you are either Gay (Bogarts) or a glowstick baring drug dealer (Liquid). I live very near Liquid, and I decided to go in there for a few pints during the summer (coz I was lazy). The bar staff really pi$$ed me off, so that the end of that place for me.

As far as pubs are concerned, I'm pretty much in agreement with Trojan. But it's as broad as it's long, and it's hard to find the perfect pub. At that stage it's the company that's important.

;-phobos-)

Just to bring up the 'Trad pubs - there are no otheres' bit again, Munroes also doa tradsession, along with taylors (I've heard a few sessions starting just as I was leaving to go home).
    I'm not 18 till March, so I'm kinda fux0red for clubs atm, can't agree more with Rob about the majority of the places. Very accurate (and entertaining in a it's-funny-cos-it's-true sort of way).

Long live quiet pub culture. Just wish they'd replace that blown lightbulb in the back room, eh Robbo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Crash&Burn

THE GPO IS FULL OF DIRTY SLAPPERS

Hehe.
    And yet ppl wonder why it's so popular after a few drinkies?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

In my opinion the Kings head and the Blue Note are two of the better pubs in Galway.

Cuba is the best club, as phobos was saying it has different types of music, on seperate floors.

One thing is that clubs are gettin too expensive at the weekend, and personally i prefer the crowd during the week.

Originally posted by Crash&Burn
    THE GPO IS FULL OF DIRTY SLAPPERS

Yeah, it's great isn't it?

Actually, you can get some bangin music in there, and the company is suberb if you bring your own.

And Weston, check yer bleedin iol mail, will ya? :)

Al.

The proles tend to invade town on the weekend, ruining it as they tend to do. Drinking their wages and suchlike....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Originally posted by Robbo
    Death to the superpub. Taylor's is has to be; where the beer is good, the drinkers are professional and the legendary Seamus works.

Heh, how come I've never seen you in there, Rob?

Oh and Seamus, aka. The White Tornado, is a ****ing arsehole... it's lovely when you're finished your last pint to be roared at by the bar manager "GET OUT TO FUC|<, C'MON MOVE IT FOR FUC|< SAKE!"...

Still rocks though... :)

Advertisement