Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Pub/Club in Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

after being in a cuba ive noted to myself again that its crap and must never go again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

NUIG CompSoc is heading down to Taylor's tonight at about 9ish.
    Proly be in the back room, as per habit. They have an electric heater. German Beer. Lan café accross the road, not to mention a choice of fast food/pizza spots. I like Lwr. Dominic St.

Oh yeah, what's the craic with the Boards.ie Galweh Hed's Pub Crawl this thursday? Blue Note at 8pm? Ronan|Raven txted me that last night. There's a metal night in Sally Longs that night too.
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ramius

CP's is by far the best nightclub in Galway altough you have to go there early at the weekend and the bouncers are idiots. For Guiness in Galway you have to go to Murphy's. Music 'The Kings Head' has good bands sometimes. The Cellar has a good big screen for watching football and has nice seats. Taffe's has trad music on most of the time.
    Is there a board like this for dublin yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

No list of good Dublin pubs, as going out in Dublin licks the genitals of Donkeys, when compared to going out in Galway.

You could make a list, but it would just be the names of Pubs in which the bouncers weren't 100% knob-ends (only 90%), it didn't cost a tenner a pint, and leaving which you didn't have to run the gauntlet of waiting for a Taxi/Nightlink.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭nore

Originally posted by Jaden
    licks the genitals of Donkeys
    ?

is that supposed to be funny?

• Advertisement

I dunno, did you laugh?

I find drinking in Dublin to be no laughing matter.

But that's me.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭nore

Originally posted by Jaden
    did you laugh?
    no, i didn't laugh.

Oooooh, nore is from dublin.

Guess he/she is going to get all bítchy about it now, and get patriotic about the high quality and standard of pubs in the 'only city that matters' compared to the ikkle bog hole huts the 'culchies' have down the 'country soide'.

I really can't stand that shíte. I have to agree with Jaden (on my personal experience) with this.
    A friend of mine who works in teh Oughterard Golf Club bar (and so knows his guinness) went drinking witha fellah from dublin in my hometown. They both got a pint of guinness in the local oul-lads' pub. My friend doesn't usually drink there because you get dirty looks if your not over 50 and the drink is suspect (pipes probably haven't been cleaned since the day they were installed), but the lad from dublin said it was the 'best pint of guinness he'd ever tasted', and he apparently liked guinness, and that the 'guinnissh in dublin is pish (this was later in the evening) compared to thish'.
    I've had much better (and cheaper) nights out in Dublin and Cork then Dublin, though the choice of clubs in Galway does leave somethign to be desired I'll admit.

BTW, Jaden is from Dublin, so the above would be a candid opinion.

I'm sorry you didn't laugh nore, but if the thought of licking Donkey genitals doesn't whip you up into a frenzy of mirth, then I don't know what would.

It is however, time to face a few facts.

Going out in Dublin can be fun. My point is that given an equal set of circumstances, it would be more fun to go out in a great number of other towns or cities in Ireland. The quality of Dublin pubs, in terms on price, comfort and friendliness of staff is, on the whole, poor - Compared to practically everywhere else in Ireland.

Now don't get me wrong, Dublin has some great pubs. But when you consider Galway has less then 1/20th the population, and yet more decent drinking holes, you have to wonder.

Incidently, my personal favourite pub is in Donegal. A wee place called Boners in Mullaghduff. Anyone who has drank in there will remember it fondly.

Cheer up nore, you can always get the train to Galway over for a few weekend pints. It only takes two and a half hours, which is alot quicker than queueing for a taxi on Dame Street at 2:00am.

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the blue note is a class pub in galway, massimo is another nice one too. good music, couches, good beer. it's all good.

as for clubs... there ain't any clubs I like in galway :) cuba upstairs ain't too bad most of the time, it ain't the usual crud being played in the rest of the clubs. but it;s always so packed as to make any trip there incredibly annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

anyone else notice its harder to get casual one night sex from a girl in galway then any other part of ireland ? but if tell her she is your gf she is rdy to jump on ya with a mate ???

what.....you too? And I thought i was the only one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Pubs: The Cellar bar, Taffes, The Kings head.

Clubs: Cps(omg the women!), Cuba.

Avoid The Alley like the plague. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Best club - GPO or CUBA.
    Best pub - CUBA Bar, Drum, or the Blue Flute (?)...
    havn't read many of the above posts, but i ****ing hope nobody said sally longs. you'd have to be a gay biker to like that place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 franco

the blue note perchance?

Stranos.
    Galway's answer to the "Blue Oyster" :)
    Followed closely by Zulu's and Sally's :)
    Taylor's kicks the Donkey's in fiarness though.
    There's one on [EDIT]Quay Street[/EDIT]Some street..to the right of McSwiggan's as you look up at it....practically the only pub aloing that side....can't think of its name though.....

/me scratches his head....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

When in the name of god did Mc Swigs move to Quay St. ???? I've only been out of the country a month and they move Mc Swigs from Wood Quay to Quay St FFS :rolleyes:

kayos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Zion

Mc Swigs move to Quay St.
    It's interesting indeed, so Harry does live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I've got a few friends who got seriously locked & ended up in strano's, then started doing group hugs & shouting "YEAH, WERE IN STRANO'S!!!" was'nt too long before they got booted out

:)

Was in the Gippo last night.

I have to say I like it.
    You're able to walk off the dance floor into a nice bar and grab a pint/drink etc. or head down to the lower section for a good oul mosh.

Got free TeQuila+Lime poured into my mouth last nigh.
    Times.
    :) *hic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 DroneWorker

was in the gippo too, but the tequila seemed to like me jumper more than me mouth. never been there before, good enough music, though me believen that cuba* bar and club be better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

gpo has no heineken on tap

i mean... cmon people!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

That's a bad thing?

Every pint in the GPO tastes equally as bad, hit the test tubes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Ot the Meths Rob! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 franco

Apperently CPs are going to buy the gippo and both are going to be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by franco
    Apperently CPs are going to buy the gippo and both are going to be one.

Eh? Since when?

In other Galway-related pub stuff:
    • The Front Door don't do draught Carlsberg :mad:
    • CP's may be a cattle mart, but, bloody hell, the cattle! :D Tends to put many of us in the mood for not-very-"A" "I", if you catch my meaning...
    • Anyone been in Tí Na NÓg (I'm sure there's an "r" missing from that) yet? Looks like there's a very promising big screen there for soccer...
    • Other good sources of Guinness - DeBurgo's on St. Augustine St. (Hell, hundreds of local constabulary can't be wrong), Rabbitte's (Forster St. - also qualifies as a very quiet pub), Crowe's (Bohermore) - population can sometimes be suspect though.
    • Traddish Pubs: The Lisheen (assuming there's no change when they finish rebuilding it), Tigh Chóilí?

Just my 2c...
    Gadget

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I would imagine that the Lisheen will be utterly destroyed because its been bought by the Cuba cartel, those notorious purveyors of stagnant atmosphere and poor pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 BEG*

Lord, I can't believe this topic is still going months later!
    Morgans is my new favourite haunt, methinks! Slightly posh so a martini in hand doesn't look out of place and plush leather seats make it a joy!

Was in Boo Radly's on friday night.
    Had a pint of Guinness.
    Will no longer drink Guinness in Boo's again. Ever.
    Wasn't too bad, but the size of the floor compared to the size of the place leaves alot to be desired.
    Just like Alley. All stairs, skanger music and postage stamp-sized floors. No space to strut.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 BEG*

Serves you right for going there. Sounds like its the new Bogarts. Have never been there and never intend to!

Advertisement