Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

W2k so sloooooowww....

• 05-11-2001 7:08pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For some unknown reason my machine takes about 5 minutes to boot up.Installing software also takes a long time and my internet connection is noticibly slower .It was working fine last week:( Any help or suggestions ?? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Did you install any new software?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I've just had a look at task manager and it tells me MSTASK.exe has been running for the last hour 1/2 and is using 100% of the cpu time... It won't let me shut it down either help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Hrm, I've come across processes that refuse to be killed, but found a way around it. I have the MS Visual Studio and it's various tools installed, so I have the "Debug" option for processes... that kills 'em alright. :)

Ah here, boot from your win2k cd, chose to repair an install, and use the command prompt to do it, from there you should be able to delete the file. (Can't do it normally because it's running, and windows 2000 restores deleted system files automatically anyway, dunno if it'll work with using the cd and the repair console thing)

Alternatively search the registry for the file, try to find out what's starting it and get rid of it.

Just had a look and it's running here, so perhaps it's important. :)

Reinstall?

Windows 2000 is always slow to boot up. I get around that by turning on the hibernate option (control panel, power settings, hibernate tab) and lo, boot time halved!

Hibernate is pretty cool actually, I did a test yesterday with Quake 3 - hibernated while playing it. When the system came back, the game continued uninterrupted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I've found that sometimes running the system filechecker sometimes cures weird problems like this

Start/run/cmd --->>sfc /scanonce

Will run it once next reboot, have your win2k cd handy.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

MSTask is the windows Task Scheduler.
    U should first check and see what jobs u have scheduled.
    maybe u have scheduled sum task that takes a **** load of time to. or maybe it is trying to do sumthing it can't and is crashed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

To save this thread the obligatory JustHalf rant against Typedef everytime I suggest that someone such as LoGIE my actually gain from running Linux if he does not already, if he does then he shouldn't really have cause to give a fsck what windows run like should he? I will just post what I consider may be a fairly explicative link

http://www.linuxnewbie.org/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=005091

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by Typedef
    To save this thread the obligatory JustHalf rant against Typedef everytime I suggest that someone such as LoGIE my actually gain from running Linux if he does not already, if he does then he shouldn't really have cause to give a fsck what windows run like should he? I will just post what I consider may be a fairly explicative link

http://www.linuxnewbie.org/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=005091

Oh boy, that really helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Originally posted by Typedef

homo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

LOL, I LOVE THAT LAST POST, NICE ONE :)

JOHN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Renton, I applaud you.

• Advertisement

hate_groups.gif

Hey say hi to your friends in the Arian-Windows-Users-Group.
    Though maybe you are making a pass , if so it sucks, I've had better passes made at me by nuns, but hey if Chips yanks your chain who am I to argue?

If your incestant babbling isnt enough, now you're posting images with broken links. Get some fúcking windowz skillz typedef.

Windows Lovers (lots) - Linux phagots (0)

Btw, Arian-Windows-Users-Group... HMM sounds a big ghéy to me, mabye you like ghéy things?

No I wouldnt waste my time making a pass on you, Im not as previously stated. Ghéy

Stick to the nuns, you'll go straight to heaven, I promise. :cool:

Rent boy , your wit is surpassed only by your intelligence, but my question is, how are you such an anthority on what is and is not gay?

Oh an I forgot , if your useless windowz machine can't display a gif, then that is not my issue ok?

Dear Windowz lusers.

I'm sure life as mental reprobates is hard, but try and understand something.

Proving that you are assholes is a non-issue, I'm not sure if being a mod
    implys being an asshole or being an asshole implies being a mod, but the
    two do not seem to be mutally exclusive.

But while you're fisting each other in the windows bloatware repository,
    just think of how proud of you Hitler is and feel a warm sense of
    satisfaction as you realise that you will be right at home in the Irish
    Peoples party.

Oh by the way Enimen called. He says he'd love if you would come round and
    show him your insights into getting not just your fist, but your entire
    head up your ass. I said you would call round after you were finished
    fcuking your sister so don't fret, he says he will be all greased up and
    waitng for you nekked and running windowz Xp arian edition and after you are
    done blowing him the two of you can go round to the indian take away and
    lynch them foreign negroz.

Also Nelson Mandela rang, he wants to know what life is like being ignorant
    fools, so, I lent him out your diary, you know the one with the pink
    frills on the front, and the swastika? I know you won't mind because the
    entire Windowz_lusers club has contributed stool samples and I know you have
    your favorite stool samples in formaldahide (for easy access) anyhow. Oh
    here is a portrait I'm sure you will appreciate.
    ms1.jpg
    Have a nice day :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Shut it. All of you.

Civility will be respected or I will do *things* to those who dont.

I'm not even kidding.

This thread has been locked because it serves no purpose and I'm off to review the rest of the board.

DeVore.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement