Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poxy arsed file naming on FTP sites

• 05-11-2001 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭

Does any1 know what type of naming convention people use on FTP sites. Some sites I go to (the ones with the good stuff on them) have use the space character after the names of files and have files consisting entirely of spaces and things like that.
    I can get into most of them directories through trial and error but then I come up against folders like "com1 ". There seems to be a space at the end of it. But when i type in the name (in inverted commas) it says no such file exists. There must be some other invisible character they use. Its very annoying. I get to these sites and I can get over 150kbs (site permitting) but then i come up against these poxy named files and am denied. Any1 have any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Depends on what app you are using. Have a look for LeechFTP or something. Forget about like CuteFTP, etc., . Or else use a CLI app.

There is no real naming convention. Basic structure is the usual *nix style, with /pub /bin /etc and so on. Then you get hidden directories and such because by default generic FTP apps will skip a directory that is hidden, so you can tell what's in an FTP site for real by using a CLI app and when you login, do ls -la to get a complete listing (lists everything, usually files with a "." in front of them like /pub/apps/.hidden-directory/ won't come up usually).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

I'm using Linux. I use ls -al and it will show up the spaces and such if you highlight the dir name but it just says that the directory isn't there when i try to cd into it.
    There today I tried to open a folder called "1 ", thats 1 with a space following it. But it wouldnt open it. I used
    cd "1 ".

Thanks anyway.

Ah OK, you obviously knew what I was talking about already .... if you give me a login/pass I could try it myself.........:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Errm I could be wrong but on a LInux/BSD like command line is it not the case that if for example a file is called
    Some Song.mp3 then you reference that file like this
    ls Some\ Song.mp3 or if the file is called
    Some Obscure - Name .mp3
    then
    ls Some\ Obscure\ -\ Name\ .mp3
    ?

So for example you might want to try for a folder named com 1

$cd com\ 1
    ?
    I could be totally wrong though?

Hey dd if=/dev/linux_ownz_everything of=/dev/hda_windows
    muhahaha

That is a very good point indeed. Totally forgot about that ..... happens all the damn time when encoding MP3s and the CDDB entries make aweful console filenames......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

No. If you have a dir in the root dir called ~/ .TaGGeD /
    then you can cd to it using
    cd " .TaGGeD "
    U could also do it your way but this is far less messy.
    Red Moose - I could give you the address but the sites are up and down all the time changing between anonymous and private login and switchin between ratio and non-ratio.

A fuk it here is one that worked a few mins ago and shows what i mean
    anonymous/anonymous
    go to ~/_vti_pvt/
    there is a folder there called /com1 /
    If u try to cd it, the server says incorrect funtion
    i was usin ncftp
    These folders with the goodies in them are usually called com* for some reason.
    Maybe there sum special folders or sumit although i doubtamificate it.

Advertisement