Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win2k command line programs?

• 06-11-2001 1:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

does anyone have a list or a link to a list of the command line stuff you can do with win2k?

i used to have 98 and someone on irc told me you can put a .txt file in alphabetical order by line using it, and he did it to my cs cfg.

[afaik it was a "write" command]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I believe it was myself.

The command

type filename | sort > filename2

does the trick for me.
    Of course the two filenames can be the same.

I don't have a link to a list of commands, I just tried some unix commands. Windows help does have a full listing of all the commands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

That's piping, isn't it?
    I'm stating to learna bit 'oi Linux/UNIX in college through the CompSoc here.
    Reckon I'll have the guts of an IT degree on top of my Elec. Eng. one at the end of it, just without the Fantzy Shmantzy paper. ;)

I'm short on time, but later on I'll have a quick gander around Microsoft for any FAQ's or such on Command line options.
    Would be interested in that myself.....

Advertisement