Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway Pints!

• 06-11-2001 9:15am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

pints.jpg

Right - we haven't done it in ages, so it's time for a boards.ie session of pints here in Gailleamh - land of Buckfast and Horse Races.

There'll be me, Kealan, Rob (no doubt and maybe Linda) - who else? Andrew? Ken (and your mystery bird)? Rory? Weston? Kieran (and Donna)? Cousin It?

Proposed date:
    Thursday 29th November - that's loads of time to get time off from the missus *ahem* / Mammy *HAAHAA* / whoever! *ooh-er*

Venue:
    It's all good - a ladies choice (Ken :p).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I thijnk I finisish work at about 6:30ish.
    Have a 10pm lecture friday morning so no probs.
    Dav, read the Galway Lan2:Aftermath posts to read about Kenneth's 'Mystery Boid'.
    Needless to say #MEAT# is now scattered accross the country in lots of small ikkle bite-size chunks. :p
    Any venue is grand so long as I can get at least one decent pint of Guinness to settle the stomach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Ugh. D & I are at her sister's wedding on the 28th. What state we'll be in I can't say :) If we're bad we won't be there.

If we're really bad then we will. Cos sometimes it's safer to stay on the rollercoaster.

K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

go on u know u wana im not sure where it is yet but when i find out ill post the time and place .

should be gud few girls at it considering its my gf's sistaz 21'st .

go on u know u wana go and make sure me aint bored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

OOOH beer!!!

/me caresses his beer gut :D

Count me in, As for the venue try somewhere with proper music not this new poopy sh!te :)

AFTER the night is over we can all go back to my place and eat mayonaisse and cheesecake if the lord is good to us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Yeah I might be able to make that.

The story is that I will still be in college on the Thursday, but only have 1 lecture on a Friday. The class are getting a tad pi$$ed off with that class-time, so we are trying to get it moved. Either way I hardly go in on Friday's anyway.

Also Dav, I told Alastair that I would come up for his graduation on Fri 23rd, and he is coming down to Castlebar for mine on the 24th. We're really going to make a weekend out of it.

So anyway you are proposing the Thursday afterwards for the "Galway Pints" session, so I hope to be sober by then. :cool:

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by Kharn

Proposed date:
    Thursday 29th November

"the you last favour time do ever I That's ."

Please rearrange the above into a well known guilt-trip. :)

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Venue:
    It's all good - a ladies choice (Ken :p).

HAHA!!!

I choose SALLY LONGS!
    Afterwards, to get really ****ed, Le Grall.

And perhaps... "Mystery Bird" may pop in also...

And as long as there are no "Who's that guy with AngelWhore?" Comments, you won't end up like poor #MEAT#...

I surely have done nothing to him... :rolleyes:

Suffice to say that nobody has actualy heard from him for some time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

OK, we've had a change of plan...

Date is being brought forward a week to the 22nd of November

Ken - we're not having it in Sallys! I wouldn't mind but no one else would turn up, so this is a bad thing.

Upstairs in the Kings Head? We can blag some well good seats if we're in early enough.

I'll actually be along Dav, be up on the Thurs :)

btw I'm on the couch :)

oh, and stuff.

Al.

/me goes off to find a poorly secured bank...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

I dunno.....doesn't meeting a mess of strangers off the internet just make you feel ever more like...dare I say it....a nerd? ;)

I might be up for it Dav. As far as location goes, may I suggest some place we've never gone before and will certainly never go again?

Bosco

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Bosco
    I dunno.....doesn't meeting a mess of strangers off the internet just make you feel ever more like...dare I say it....a nerd? ;)

1. We ain't strangers, far from it, some of us have known each other from the dark-ages before the boards great-grandfather[1] was around.

2. Of course we're nerds damnit, everyone knows that! (we'll still outdrink your average jock on pints of Guinness, and please, take us up on that one)

Al.

1. P[o?]int 1 again? Well ok: "great-grandfather/grandmother" -- just to please the feminists. And why I'm I in work this late?

I've met people of the internet before, and still not felt like a nerd.

The eqausion?

lb=n-nm
    d>n

Basically... Lots Of Beer Equals Nnerdiness No More.
    Drunkness overshadows Nerdiness.

I was speaking from my own point of view BTW...and from my point of view, a mess of strangers are a mess of strangers regardless of whether the strangers all know one another :)

Hows about a nice mink-infested dive like Branskis (what's it called now) in westside? Or maybe one of the guiness-drinkin' old man pubs around Woodquay? It'd be an....experience ;)

TBH, IMO the only thing that old man pubs have to offer is the possibility of good Guinness. Now considering the fact that the entire group doesn't drink Guinness, I don't think it would be fair to select such a place. On the otherhand some of the places suggested so far seem like a good idea.

I vote for
    • Kings Head
    • The Skeff
    • Downstairs Cuba

I like the move from the 29th to the 22nd, that suits me fine. Because it is my plan to return to Galway either on the Tuesday or Wednesday of that week.

[For Dav and Al]
    The two girls Crystal and Ruth are supposedly comming up to me in Castlebar on that night 22nd, for the grad that weekend. But I have already told Ruth I want to go out down here in Galway. She said not to worry, but Crystal is not that easy to inform. She will put up quite a fight, and I will need your support to keep me in Galway.
    [/For Dav and Al]

;-phobos-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

what about the blue note?
    thats a nice pub, and we can bag a large area if we go in early enough.
    nice seats too
    and pitchers of heineken!

oh, and I vote upstairs cuba for the nightclub
    :)_

I like the idea of club Cuba, but the Blue Note is sooo far away from Cuba. But then again it kinda suits us Salthill posse, as it's on the way in to town.

Keep the suggestions rolling in...

;-phobos-)

I definetly agree with The Blue Note!
    Class place.

And perhaps, Cuba then afterwards?
    And yes, upstairs being preferable.

Besides... It's really NOT that long a walk from The Blue Note, is it?
    What? 5 minutes???

The Blue Note!!! yes yes yes

very nice pub Definitly the best place to go and if we have to we can go to schuba :( aka cuba :(:(

Originally posted by phobos
    TBH, IMO the only thing that old man pubs have to offer is the possibility of good Guinness. Now considering the fact that the entire group doesn't drink Guinness, I don't think it would be fair to select such a place.

Maybe I'm biased, but the auld lad places make it easier to talk. (Don't construe this as a vote for one of the auld lad places, I'm just defending them).

mmmm, Guinness :)

ok, so definitely I'm biased ;)

On the otherhand some of the places suggested so far seem like a good idea.

I vote for
    • Kings Head
    • The Skeff
    • Downstairs Cuba

That list sounds good to me. The Blue Note has also been mentioned, can't remember ever being there - which one is it?

I like the move from the 29th to the 22nd, that suits me fine. Because it is my plan to return to Galway either on the Tuesday or Wednesday of that week.

Me too, means I can come :)

[For Dav and Al]
    The two girls Crystal and Ruth are supposedly comming up to me in Castlebar on that night 22nd, for the grad that weekend. But I have already told Ruth I want to go out down here in Galway. She said not to worry, but Crystal is not that easy to inform. She will put up quite a fight, and I will need your support to keep me in Galway.
    [/For Dav and Al]

;-phobos-)

Ya wha? Don't even think about missing it! You're hanging around for Thurs & Friday nights! Failure is not an option.

Al.

How about a miny pub-crawl?

• Advertisement

It's a nice idea, but the larger the crowd the harder it is to find people etc, prolly better off picking the one place and staying there tbh.

Back to my question - what's the Blue Note like, and have I ever been there? (:))

Al.

Blue note man... It's a class, comfy place... Nice laid back and mellow. It'll be perfect.

AND! If we're early, we can grab the couch!!!

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

I'll make a guest appereance if Angel is willing to remind me about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Originally posted by Bosco

I might be up for it Dav. As far as location goes, may I suggest some place we've never gone before and will certainly never go again?

Bosco

Actually I think if you weren't willing to meeting them irl and just sitting at your PC all the time not speaking to anyone else THEN that would be nerdy.

The fact that you meet the people you speak to on the internet turns it from a sad passtime to another form of communication (an updated phone if you will - in some cases webcam)

P.S.

When I was a child I played with childish things.....when I became a man....it was called a hobby

I propose we go to Angels NightClub after the pub, I have a big jar of pennies we can use!

Originally posted by Ronan|Raven
    I propose we go to Angels NightClub after the pub, I have a big jar of pennies we can use!

You're right! We can use your jar to hit people over the head with, and steal their money!
    Brilliant!

Isn't there enough mindless violence in Galway allready without letting Ronan out again?

Where's the venue anyways??

Originally posted by AngelWhore

You're right! We can use your jar to hit people over the head with, and steal their money!
    Brilliant!

Not what I originally had in my mind but hell sounds good to me!

Or we could kidnap one of the dancers and lock her up under the stairs in my house muwhahahahaah and force feed her cauliflower.

And as for the final venue is it the blue note for deffo?

Yup!

Blue Note at 20:00 on Thursday 22nd of November 2001.

Sor-tid.

In attendance will be:
    • Kharn
    • Trojan
    • AngelWhore
    • Ropedrink
    • Ronan
    • SyxPak
    • Bosco
    • Mordeth
    • Kix (hopefully)
    Should be a good night lads and ladies.

Anyone else coming? Kealan? Rob?

• Advertisement

Don't forget Weston, he'll be there too.

btw I won't be in til around 10 or so, depending on buses etc from Dublin...

Al.

Think Robbo is coming down too.

Only mentioned it to him today.

Prehaps DooDee will show. Big Prehaps though.
    Like this big man

oooh only 1 day to go!

and even better Im just after my networks exam so I can get drunk as a poet on pay dya at it :) also I have tomorrow off from college so its all falling into place perfectly :)

If anyones around we can go get drinky during the day as well !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

I might go in, stare at ye and slink off without even saying a word... :eek:

Mordeth's kinda broke.

I'm nearing my 1000th post.

Need more beer.

/me goes off to find female company......

That's all fine and well John, but I'm nearing my 4000th post so :p:p:p

I'll see yiz later on!

• Advertisement

well i have *some* money now
    i will be able to afford a pint or three tonight I hope heh

but i doubt very much I will be heading to the nightclub, don't like most of the clubs in galway, and i *hate* the bloody music.

find me a club that plays beastie boys, daft punk, air, and anthrax and you have found me a club i love :)

anyway, 8 o clock, blue note?
    how will I know who the hell yes are hehe

someone bring a sign "BOARDS.IE GALWAY PINTS HERE"

or something :)
    i'm not going over to every bloody table asking " you lot with boards.ie"

If you wanna find me...

I'm Fat, I've got a Pony Tail, I've got Glasses, I'll be drinking Cider (get me one while you're standing) and we'll probably be talking computers or games :)

"I'm Fat, I've got a Pony Tail, I've got Glasses, "

that's me too hehe

wonder how many people tonight are going to fall under that category :)

Replace 'Fat' with 'Like Guinness' and lose the ponytail.
    Me.
    I'm not dressed for clubbin, no ID and slightly lacking the cash for that sort of thing tonight. Gonna have to give the Gippo a miss I'm afraid.

Meet ye in teh Blue note in an hour.

I'll be drinking Cider (get me one while you're standing)

I second that notion :)

Ah yeah, but I'm not that easy to spot coz I don't really look like a nerd at all. Because I have very short hair, the security guard in Easons wonders why I spend so long browsing through the computer books down the back of the shop. Little do they know ;)
    I'm not that much of a gamer (even though I have been caught dabbling), but I do like programming.

Anyway, hurries up ppl, looking forward to meeting some new faces. I should be strolling in around 8:30(ish).

C ya then ;)

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Huh. 20:16 and I'm still at home waiting on the washing machine to spit out my wedding clothes and I still have 101 things to do including eat which means that I guess I'm going to have to further cement my reputation as the "guy who doesn't turn up". :(

Hope you're all having fun.

K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Might head up and see what this 'Galway' place is all about, if anyone can provide somewhere for me to crash...

Eh? Dav? Hmm? ;)

[edit] Doh, didn't see that the date had changed. Ah well :/ [/edit]

Indeed a very good night was had by all! Cheers.

In attendance were
    • Trojan
    • kayos
    • Ronan|Raven (mad drunken bastid ya!)
    • AngelWhore (you're weird)
    • RopeDrink
    • phobos (nerd)
    • Mordeth
    • SyxPak
    An Excellent night was had by all I'm sure and the boards.ie CHRISTMAS BASH will be taking place in a month's time on Thursday 20th December. This will also incorporate a going away party for Kealan (kayos) who is leaving our fair green isle for a proper job in London.

Here, anyone fancy doing a Secret Santa for the craic? I reckon it'd be good clean family fun!

Dabh - get thyself down here for an unmerciful pissup - there's a couch in my house with your name on it!

Two of the funniest sigs in a long while there.
    Kix:
    I love a good muppet hunt. But sometimes, when I actually catch and kill one, I can feel a bit guilty afterwards.
    SADLWPGMSL (Sitting At Desk With People Giving Me Strange Looks)
    Kharn:
    Louis Walsh was all set for his latest stars to take the stage when he suddenly realised he'd hired Dani Filth as the frontman
    Hehe. heheheh. hahahahaha :D

The night was good, angel loked like he was going to score and i snook past the security guards in Corrib Villageby pretending to be pished.

Wanted to do a daring 'hop-the-barbed-wire-fence' or Commandos Job but I had neither the energy, coordination or boltcutters.
    Maybe I really was kinda drunk.
    Got Chinese delivery then.
    Made chicken-curry-with-cheese-chip-butties then. MMmm-mmm. Jummy food.
    £6.20 for a Pitcher of Cider. Yes. :)

twas a goodl uagh, sorry about having to leave early and not come back, I thought id have made it back but things came up that needed sorting:/ then i had a few more pints and felt "full" and had to return to my chamber for slumber and woke up today with a fierce headache.

Alas ill be there in better attendance at the xmas bash to talk spew more crap from my speakhole! :D

mr freezze..................!

Muppet :p

Ed and Alastair's grad was good craic. I pretty much got out of bed after the board night out and started drinking for the grad. The day started off with pints on the Corrib Great Southern. Then we moved on to Sinead's gaph, for some cheap cider (2ltr). Then Red Square, thne skeff, then fullamuck (aka Oyster Manner in Clarinbridge) WTF:confused:

Here I am at home at around 2:40am and I have my grad in less than 10 hours. Sheet I've got to sober up, or puck or something. HELP!!:p

Damn you bastards. Nevertheless I have got ye're life sorted to C'bar.

TTYL

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Indeed a very good night was had by all! Cheers.

In attendance were
    • AngelWhore (you're weird)

It took a meeting up face to face with the man to work that out;)

Originally posted by Baz_

It took a meeting up face to face with the man to work that out;)

Noe...

He has actualy known me for a good while longer.

Don't hold it against him, he's slow.
    But his lovely hair makes up for all his shortcomings! (You'd have to have been there for that to be funny though...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Damn in jokes...

<edit>oh wait I have a question, does Kharn look like his avatar??? (I have a suspicion he does, don't know why)</edit>

No, not really...

But he used to have Gargamel from The Smurfs as his avatar, and I expected him to look like that when I first met him...

Just comes off as association.

• Advertisement
Advertisement