Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QuietPC

Options
  • 06-11-2001 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like people to suggest ways to quieten their PCs while maintaining standard cooling levels.
    Buying specially made stuff can go in, like www.quietpc.com , but I'd like to see if anyone has any readily available things with which to reduce noise levels.

I've taken some steps of my own, being on a very limited budget and having no credit card.

My CLabs GeForce256 had a horrible ikkle noisome fan on it. It needs to spin fast to achieve even it's moderate (read:crap) airflow. TO combat this I've taken one of the origional pentium cpu cooling fans and taped (I've yet to find self-tapping screws of sufficient length and sutiable diameter to fit the heatsink) it on, having removed the origional fan. This thing is quietnow.

My CPU fan is still rather noisey, even after putting 3-in-1 Oil on the bearing under the Intel hologram sticker to lubricate it.
    The heatsink is also being held on by 4 cable-ties. Not very secure if the heatsink heats up, causing the plastic to whither, and not particularly balanced either :( It's a Slot1 (SECC) btw.

Added a 80mm fan salvaged from an old AT PSU I wasn't using. Kinda noisey, which almost defeats the GPU fan.

I also have a bloody noisey AOpen 16x40x DVD drive. My plextor (reads CDs at 40x too) is a hell of a lot quieter. Get what you pay for i guess.
    My hard drive also makes a bit of a noise.
    I was thinking of putting something like rubber washers or something to reduce vibrations between it and the case
    My PC seems to hang during Elite Force (no-cd crack), which could indicate an over-heating CPU, though I've yet to verify this by running the time demo in Quake3.
    What's the command for that again?

vgasm.jpg
    The silent GPU cooler. I want.
    Graphics, CPU, PSU , Hdd enclosures and CaseFans.
    Can anyone reccomend anything similar to these products that can be made from domestic/DIY shop stuff?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Hiya [FCA]SyxPak,

I've heard great things about using rubber grommets instead of screws when attaching fans to the case to reduce noise, but never having tried it myself I'm not certain. (I suspect using grommets alone won't help much if the fan is still going to be in direct contact with the case). Apart from that all I can say is use big-but-slow fans in place of small-and-fast to reduce noise while maintaining airflow.

Failing that there's always water-cooling ;)

Bosco

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I tried replying before but something about the logging out of boards stopped me.....
    anyways, whereabouts would I get these rubber grommets?

I'll only be ablet o put a max of 92mm fan on the front of my case without having to move my PC speaker.

I'm in the market for a new case, full tower prefably. Want to get all the kit in one go, quiet fans etc. and builld the PC quiet from the word go with 2x 120mm@~6-7V intake, same outtake in 92mm form to balance with the PSU fan.

that gpu heatsink looks damn tastey too.

Advertisement