Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weezer

Options
  • 06-11-2001 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭

I bought The Green Album and think it's great. However it says its a "Special Edition". I was wondering what is special about it. Can anyone help me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Scon

The last track (I do) is not on the original American release... and this is why the UK edition is 'Special' :) But then again, Universal has a tendancy to stick 'Special Edition' on every release these days.
    If you don't have the first 2 albums, get both.... they're just as good, if not better than the Green Album. Get CD2 of Island In The Sun too.... both b-sides are good enough to be on the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

the green album is muck.

at first i thoguht it was quite pleasant easy listening, but when i listen to it more, it just annoys me. how can weezer, a band who , imho, previous to this had produced 2 of the greatest albums i'd heard come out pedalling this crap. it lacks any emotion whatsoever, the lyrics make no sense, the intricate guitar parts from previous works are all gone, and the harmonies aren't half as good. knock down drag out and crab are the only semi-decent songs on it. :(

pinkerton is the pinnacle of weezer's achievement. it's such a fantastic album. a better one i've not heard. such raw emotion, the power of the songs is unrivalled. honest simple lyrics which get their points across so sincerely. fantastic musical arrangements.

it's the best, most meaningful and moving album i've ever heard.

get pinkerton and the blue album and rock your world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Beany

I'm sorry to say that I have to agree with Tibor...the Green album is not up to scratch...it has the melodys but the songs seem so tied to their structure and there is no real life to them...I miss the spontanaeity and energy of Pinkerton...the Green album seems to have been polished off to the point where all those beautiful 'mistakes' that coloured in Pinkerton have been erased, leaving us with a very bland clinical album.

I notice also that every guitar solo mimics the vocal melody...where's the imagination?

What makes it worse is that this album has been relatively well received by the public, so no doubt they will feel happy enough to churn out another one.

C'mon Weezer...give us another classic instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tara

There was a very good interview in Rolling Stone a few months back with the lead singer. He actually said that he hates Pinkerton. He refuses to perform any of the tracks, and when making the Green Album wanted to veer as far away from it as possible. So that might explain things a bit.

Originally posted by Tara
    There was a very good interview in Rolling Stone a few months back with the lead singer. He actually said that he hates Pinkerton. He refuses to perform any of the tracks, and when making the Green Album wanted to veer as far away from it as possible. So that might explain things a bit.

Yeh, it's well known that Rivers felt that way. I think he's grown to like the recordings a little better since. A lot of 'fans' thought Pinkerton was terrible too. But they just wanted another Blue Album I guess.

I have to disagree with you with THe Green Album being muck. It's more like their first album than Pinkerton, yep... but it's still fantastic.

TIBOR > if you like Crab... get the B-Side 'O Lisa' ... quite similar and should've been on the album, it's better than a lot of songs on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Originally posted by Scon

I have to disagree with you with THe Green Album being muck. It's more like their first album than Pinkerton, yep... but it's still fantastic.

fantastic? no.
    it's average at best. there's no emotion, no power, no creativity, no thought. all these things which pinkerton and blue were jam-packed full of. things which made them the amazing albums that they were.

TIBOR > if you like Crab... get the B-Side 'O Lisa' ... quite similar and should've been on the album, it's better than a lot of songs on it.

this is true. decent song, still nothing close to the heights of pinkerton or blue though. even their earlier b-sides ; jamie, mykel&carli, i just threw out the love of my dreams, susanne etc.. are far superior to the anything they've produced in the past year.

they're recording again at the mo', here's hoping rivers has re-attached his balls and will write some good songs this time.

j.

I guess it's down to personal taste :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rancidsean

I thought it was alright. Makes you wonder what they were up to all this time though.

Rivers finished college... that took a while, that's what he did. I think that's a good reason for the delay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

i wouldn't pay much attention to what rivers says about his own music.. he has criticised a lot of good weezer songs like Jamie which imo is one of their best. first album was brilliant, pinkerton was very good, green album was awful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Listening to artists on the subject of their own work is always irritating they are usually full of shyte anyways Weezer all around respectable band - I was not so into pinkerton though - maybe time to re-evaluate.. What I do have to say is that "Hash Pipe" is probably the worst song on the new Album and all these people who think they like Weezer only know that one stupid song which is ok but not a good representation of Weezer in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

" 'Half Pipe' is probably the worst song on the new Album"

HASH Pipe is the name of the song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

You are so right - That is what I get for trying to write a paper, cook, and bitch on the interet at the same time.

Sorry, I love Weezer... have all their albums and think Hash Pipe is a great song. It really is personal taste :)

A lot of people know 'Buddy Holly' too... but don't know it's by Weezer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭indie_chick

i have the blue album

i haven't listened to it yet......

i paid £8

i pretended to have a freakscene badge

i've had it 8 days.....

Advertisement