Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games for xmas

Options
  • 06-11-2001 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

is there any good pc games coming out this christmas? or is there any games out already and are good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

try Max Payne!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Civilisation 3 is out this weekend.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is out before Xmas.

Aliens vs Predator 2 is out pre-Xmas as well, but it's rubbish, sadly.

Battle Realms is out shortly, it's good fun RTS in the Age of Empires vein, but with 3D graphics and magic and Stuff.

Errr... errrr. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon looks fun, proper update to Rogue Spear at last.

Um. Stuck now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭-=Raven=-

YOU ROBBED MY NAME RAVEN

AHHHHHH

I LEAVE THE BOARDS FOR A COUPLE YEARS AND ITS GONE!!!!!!!

BE DONE WITH YOU

fu<k it... ill get a new name

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

And there's me thinking you'd broken your Tie Fighter.

,.-'`-,AMP,-`'-.,
    Wit teh ascii boobies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I'm sick of upgrading my PC at this stage, so im getting a PS2 with GTA3. But ill probably end up getting RTCW aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

i was thinking of getting Return to Castle Wolfstein but how good
    a comp do you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i was thinking of getting Return to Castle Wolfstein but how good

i'm not sure what spec comp you need, but its a very good game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

It uses The Quake 3 engine, so if you can run q3 well, this should be fine. I'd say it uses the extra power of the Team Arena engine too, for big outdoor areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm looking at That Ghost thing. Downlaoded the demo from fileplanet today, gonna burn it and bring it home tonight,. Hopefully an opinion tomorrow. Shinji, you played it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

AvP2( has some thing the original didnt...a decent plot)And I have found it to be a very good game despite the occassional lag spikes) which are easy enough to get around I might add.

Armada 2 out friday week by all accounts(perhaps sooner but this is doubtful), a must get for fans of the original.

Empire Earth takes place over 500,000 years, can have some walk over battles when it turns out that your using aircraft carriers against the middle ages, show a great deal of promise

Wolfenstien...would seem to be a must get.

Max Payne...a little on the easy side but youll find yourself going back to it.

Red Faction...Great multiplayer, single player is way too short tho. Has good mod potential.

Ra2: Yuri's Revenge... If your a fan of the Red Alert games, its a must get.

Medal of Honour.. looks intereasting.

Ghost Recon...havent seen too much on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭SPACE COWBOY

Civ3: Savage.

Ghost Recon: Played the demo, thought is was boring & Average, Not even close to the standard of Operation Flashpoint.

If you don't have Operation Flashpoint pick it up.

Medal of Honour does look interesting, but I *think* it's February 02.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

IL-2 Sturmovik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Raven bai...your machine is ****e.....you need a new one...
    ps - I want maxpayne back......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

hmm Civ3, Empire Earth, Armada 2 and Wolfenstein

...not enough hours in the day really...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Shinji
    Aliens vs Predator 2 is out pre-Xmas as well, but it's rubbish, sadly.

What are you smoking Shinji? :)

AvP2 is excellent. It uses the lithtech engine (same "No one lives forever") and has a lot of extra features and sub classes for each character.

I like the fact you start off as a face hugger then have to grow into an alien. Multiplayer has a number of different game types.

If I had something bad to say about it, then it would be at a guess you need a good machine to get the best effects from it.

Just someone let me know when DNC or whatever gets it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 CYC

When is Battle Realm out in ROI ?
    Anyone played it ? or the demo ? What's the verdict ?
    It looks very promising to me :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by SPACE COWBOY
    If you don't have Operation Flashpoint pick it up.

I found that game horribly boring. Involved sitting around doing nothing and then driving out to the middle of no where (also boring) and getting shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Professor Bignose stops the video tape, pulls it out of the video recorder and sets it ontop of the tv. Then he turns around to the class, "as we have clearly demonstrated, and contrary to normal belief, some people DO have different opinions on certain topics. Apparently it is very much a part of the human physce to pretend that there can't possibly be things such as certain game types for certain people and instead presume that we all qualify for the one type of mental makeup; which of course the protagonist is fully behind. This perfect "alpha" being, with the most correct opinions - clearly doesn't exist. Instead the point of such an exercise is to practice oratory skills, debating skills if you will. The winner of said outcome, regardless of whether they are right or wrong, effectively writes the facts - and due to their sucessfull leadership qualities, others will follow in their beliefs... almost brainwashed to a certain extent. Some might say they are in awe. And that concludes todays lecture, goodbye class." Professor Bignose promptly turns around and walks out the door, ignoring many of the raised hands questioning his theories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

Return to Castle Wolenstein is indeed a good game ;) Single player is a little too easy Im afraid even on the hardest level... :(
    Multiplayer is most excellant

the bad news is that its a pricey fu<ker retailing at $60 in the US. So you can recken 60+ bills for it in Ireland. But you just gotta have it....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

:eek:Ild call RTCW many things(mostly good) but easy is not one of them. But I will agree multiplayer is brilliant, even if you dont get all of the single player weapons...like the tesla gun etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Medal Of Honour is being released tomorrow along with IL-2 Sturmovik throughout Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

Bought RTCW on Sunday. Finished it on Wednesday
    Playing on "I am Death Incarnate" I'd say 12-15 hours of play...
    thats definitely too easy in my book. Maybe Im better than I thought- I still get my ass kicked in Multiplayer so I can't be that good.
    It took me longer to get through RED FACTION ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

AvP1 is sooooo much better than AvP2...but its a shame that AvP1 doesnt work on 2000 and upwards

Get PC Zone and look at thier recommened list, if there is anything that you havent played and you like the sound of get it..they are rarely wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Umm I've often played AVP1 on 2k.

.logic.

Yeah, me too, repeatedly, and the gold edition.
    Works on Win2k no probs.
    Class feckin game.

We had a big 2-3 hour marathon at the Galway lan Saturday night. Excellent.

Haven't played AvP2 myself, cept that horrible, abyssmal demo.

Seen it running in Lanfest, people seem to like it, they can't play for shít, but they like it.

Flashpoint = GOTY for meh.

Cashel Volfenshtein - played it multiplayer. Class. Fukking. Game.
    best to run it in 32-bit colour though, problem with textures and stuff on GF2 GTSes with 12.41 drivers.

Plenty of other good games though.

Anyone seen System Shock2 on Budget? or Falcon4? or eFalcon4 1.09??

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

eFalcon is a free download but theres now the SP1a for Falcon4 which incorporates the two major patches efalcon and RP into one easy installation.

Haven't seen Falcon4 recently in the shops.

What I'm looking for is Flanker 2. Can't even find an online store that has it in stock.

Is AVP2 better then the Demo? A lot of sites gave it pretty good reviews but still.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

no no logic you see...Searrard said it "doesn't work on 2k"...and so it was written.

Yeah, you might get better performance running it on a machine with about 65000 times as much memory :D

Il-2 is class.
    Play it multiplayer with the new Sidewinder ForceFeedback2. I have it on very good experience that it 'kicks the donkey's bokkix into orbit'. It that isn't a tag line for the box I don't now what is......
    The demo kicked ass, hard, but ass-kickingly good.

Advertisement